New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a Norinko the serial number starts with 94 i asked my gun dealer yesterday he said all Norincos are pre ban.... well thats all fine and dandy but what if a trooper stumbles upon me and my 30 rd mags and asks for proof that its preban or takes me to jail???

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
You probably won't be able to prove anything on the side of the road. Plus I doubt they will want to hear it anyway. unless you get lucky and happen to be dealing with a trooper who knows about these things.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Your 30 rounds mags will have to also be preban, preban rifles and preban magazines are 2 separate issues.

If you have a trooper who does this kind of thing simply look up the many articles on the internet on what AKs were not imported after the '94 ban.

If you are worried about it then print out the law where it specifically calls out the "Any firearms made before 1994" part to have ready to present to a possible stop, if they pursue it any further just let them know that you have researched the law and speak with confidence. Don't act nervous or sketchy, but DO NOT be rude either, simply be firm and confident that your are right, if you are respectful to a Police Officer you will be surprised at the respect you can get in return. If he is not a nice cop then I guess you will see him in court and the county will be paying your fees when they lose.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
So what are you saying cuffs and back seat????
It may happen that way but hopefully not. Be ready to explain that is a pre ban but be prepared that not all cops know about that stuff. The burden of proof ultimately lies with them to prove that it is post ban.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you are getting jammed up for a gun, I doubt the trooper will allow you to be hands-free to use your smartphone. You reach for your smartphone and you'll likely be told to keep your hands on the steering wheel.

I also doubt that he/she would attribute any credibility to some website you pulled up--for all the trooper knows, you could have written that site yourself for the very purpose of concealing the illegality of your rifle.

It's just my opinion, the best defense is to be cooperative, but knowledgeable . If you sound like you know your laws and give a quick historical/legislative info dump during the stop, you won't sound like an easy target.

Trooper: "This is an illegal AK-47, you can't have these"

You: "Actually sir, this is a Chinese Type 56--a later, but distinct variant of the AK-47. It was Federally banned from import in 1989 by executive order of George Bush Sr. Therefore, all domestic examples of the Type 56 predate the passage of the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons ban and the equivalently worded New York Assault Weapons ban. Because it existed in private ownership prior tot he passage of such legislation, it is given "preban," or grandfathered status by the law and perfectly legal to own."

You sound like you know what you're talking about, you didn't say "I know more than you" and you don't sound like you're gonna roll. If you have to look all the up on the ole' smart phone, you still can.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
If you are getting jammed up for a gun, I doubt the trooper will allow you to be hands-free to use your smartphone. You reach for your smartphone and you'll likely be told to keep your hands on the steering wheel.

I also doubt that he/she would attribute any credibility to some website you pulled up--for all the trooper knows, you could have written that site yourself for the very purpose of concealing the illegality of your rifle.

It's just my opinion, the best defense is to be cooperative, but knowledgeable . If you sound like you know your laws and give a quick historical/legislative info dump during the stop, you won't sound like an easy target.

Trooper: "This is an illegal AK-47, you can't have these"

You: "Actually sir, this is a Chinese Type 56--a later, but distinct variant of the AK-47. It was Federally banned from import in 1989 by executive order of George Bush Sr. Therefore, all domestic examples of the Type 56 predate the passage of the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons ban and the equivalently worded New York Assault Weapons ban. Because it existed in private ownership prior tot he passage of such legislation, it is given "preban," or grandfathered status by the law and perfectly legal to own."

You sound like you know what you're talking about, you didn't say "I know more than you" and you don't sound like you're gonna roll. If you have to look all the up on the ole' smart phone, you still can.
I didn't mean look it up on the smart phone I meant to look it up now so he had the information later, so that you could do exactly like what you said with the federal import ban quotes and such, also having the law printed out would help too.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I don't know why the worry about a LEO seeing your AK in your car. First off, it should be in a case with the action OPEN and in the trunk, not in plain view with the action closed. All mags you should keep in a separate carry case. All ammo should be away from the gun like in the glove box if the gun is in the trunk. (assuming you have a car but as long as it's not in the same case as the gun, you would be fine.) There is a proper way to transport guns to and from your hunting or shooting destination. Is there something we're missing here which has you scared? AS long as you're legally able to possess a long gun, you have nothing to worry about. Hell, I've gone through road blocks and one LEO asked about my guns. (which were in the cases but I had a KIA Sportage and non tinted windows so it's kind of hard to put them anywhere BUT plain sight.) I told him what they were and where I was going and he then replied " I wish I could go with you! Have a good time." I simply said "Thank you Sir."

You must remember, LEO's are NOT out there looking for guns ... at least not until the govt bans gun ownership. They would just at the above and see if you're transporting it properly and even that's a stretch. They are looking for other things that are against the law like a 6' bong hanging out of your window!!! (No lie ... I've seen that before in Albany and laughed my azz off when the person got pulled over!!)

If you don't have a case, go to Walmart and at the least get a $15 soft gun "bag". Then you can transport without anyone seeing what "evil" weapon you may have and for good reason as well .... if in plain sight, no window will stop someone from "wanting" that gun more than you do!!

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Whenever I've been pulled over the trooper/sheriffs barely speak, and don't want to hear anything but single yes and no answers to their questions

Got pulled over on a fishing expedition traffic stop, I tried to answer the troopers questions but he kept cutting me off and barking over me. Good luck trying to explain the AWB during a traffic stop....

If anyhing carry a copy of the 265 Penal Code with you. Least it's in writing.
If you have a bill of sale from a gun shop that's in NY that would be good too.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Whenever I've been pulled over the trooper/sheriffs barely speak, and don't want to hear anything but single yes and no answers to their questions

Got pulled over on a fishing expedition traffic stop, I tried to answer the troopers questions but he kept cutting me off and barking over me. Good luck trying to explain the AWB during a traffic stop....

If anyhing carry a copy of the 265 Penal Code with you. Least it's in writing.
If you have a bill of sale from a gun shop that's in NY that would be good too.
Sometimes you just have to deal with that. To me it isn't worth rolling over and not owning your AKs/ARs because you might get some ignorant d*ck cop.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure how u got being pulled over out of this, i don't roll in an 89 accord with tinted window's...... whqt i was referring to is when i shoot my guns on state land..... im not driving around with an ak sitting on the passenger seat!

·
Banned
105 Posts
are 30 round mags that are new for ar and ak not legal in New york or just the city of new york? I am still trying to figure out the gun laws up there. I understand they are nowhere near as bad as jersey though.

·
Registered
810 Posts
are 30 round mags that are new for ar and ak not legal in New york or just the city of new york? I am still trying to figure out the gun laws up there. I understand they are nowhere near as bad as jersey though.
Unless they are pre 1994 they are not legal in NY.......

·
Registered
118 Posts
were dealing with firearms here gentleman so cops will air on the side of caution. follow LDD's lead and be respectful and confident without sounding arrogant and thats the best you can do. whenever i travel with rifle i break it down so its less "scary" in case i get pulled over.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Not sure how u got being pulled over out of this, i don't roll in an 89 accord with tinted window's...... whqt i was referring to is when i shoot my guns on state land..... im not driving around with an ak sitting on the passenger seat!
Oh ..... I associated NYS Trooper, which you stated, with traffic stops. DEC would be more apt to inquire about the gun if firing on State land. But either way, I don't think anyone would question you having an AK unless you're rapid firing and someone complained. Just do as suggested and carry evidence proving your gun AND mags are legal just for your own piece of mind. Sorry for the confusion. It's just that I don't see many Troopers wandering through the woods. ;)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hahaha true but the place where we shoot is at the end of a trail that you can.drive a vehicle on and kids have been.known to party there sa ya never know.... but your right dec is a likely wanderer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts