New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I want some feed back from the Other NY locals here. I am famillar with making ARs and AKs Ny Leagal. How about M1As. I am looking at buying a LRB or Springfield Match grade rifle to compete with on the NRA/CMP service rifle level. I would be shooting this in dedicated M1A matches. I want to keep it NY legal and Match legal. I am under the impressionthat I need to perminantly attach the Flash suppressor. I dont like this idea. Are there other options? Forget about a bullet button!!!!!!

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
It can have a flash suppressor.

The don't have pistol grip stocks, so you can choose from a flash suppressor or a bayonet lug as the other evil feature allowed since they have detachable mags.

They're legal right out of the box.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bitchin!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yeah I want an M1A also, probably the SOCOM 16. I'm not really taken with the AR platform, but the short barreled M1 seems like a great alternative.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yea they are good to go from the start. If you buy one and alter with the predator tactical chassis system you will then need to neuter it unless its a preban Springfield.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Yeah I want an M1A also, probably the SOCOM 16. I'm not really taken with the AR platform, but the short barreled M1 seems like a great alternative.
Bought mine back in May and loooove it. Tons of punch, available pre-ban hi-cap mags, balances well and quick to shoulder

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just remember, it's heavy. I have a Loaded w/ the 22" barrel, and it feels like you're lugging around a spare tractor tire.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I might be mistaken, but I don't think you can have a flash suppressor, you can have a muzzle brake. Flash suppressors are only legal if the rifle is pre-ban. Only two evil features, detachable magazine is one and bayo mount is another.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/la...ate-assault-weapon-ban-faq-part-1-rifles.html
To be an assault rifle and therefore illegal in NY state, the firearm must be:
1. Semiautomatic
2. Accept a detachable magazine
3. Manufactured after September 14, 1994
4. Has two or more of the following:
  • Telescoping or folding stock
  • Pistol grip
  • Bayonet mount
  • Flash suppressor (this does NOT include a muzzle brake) OR a threaded barrel
  • Grenade launcher
The magazine is not one of the two evil features. Bayonet mount AND flash suppressor is illegal, but one of the two is not.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
I might be mistaken, but I don't think you can have a flash suppressor, you can have a muzzle brake. Flash suppressors are only legal if the rifle is pre-ban. Only two evil features, detachable magazine is one and bayo mount is another.
Incorrect. Flash suppressors are legal as long as the rifle has no other evil features, and every M1A made after the 1994 AWB did not come with a bayonet lug. Before that time, the flash suppressors had a bayonet lug on them. After the AWB expired, SA has still not went back to the old design.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Incorrect. Flash suppressors are legal as long as the rifle has no other evil features, and every M1A made after the 1994 AWB did not come with a bayonet lug. Before that time, the flash suppressors had a bayonet lug on them. After the AWB expired, SA has still not went back to the old design.
winner winner chicken dinner

Cossey is right

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Why would anyone want a flash suppressor? Plan on shooting at night while hiding in the bushes?
Cuz the guberment doesn't want us to have them, so F them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why would anyone want a flash suppressor? Plan on shooting at night while hiding in the bushes?
Some of the muzzle brake designs direct the blast and flash back towards the shooter and people next to the shooter. It makes it seem louder. My Spikes DynaComp brake is just nasty indoors or at the one range that has a covered firing point.

BTW, during the Federal AWB, the argument was that powder selection or powder composition was more important than muzzle device.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Maybe but more importantly because I can. Also alot of your flash hiders also have decent braking properties without being overly annoying like a straight brake is...for example the A2 flash hider on an AR.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
its logic like this that makes us our own worst enemies.... sounds like a liberal talking point..

"WHY on EARTH would you want a 3636 round clip drum high power magazine???"

"whhhhhhhy would you want a baby killing flash hider suppressor shoulder thing that goes up??"

I can think of a dozen reasons..

1) its what is meant to be on most rifles if they are to simulate the military rifle they are modeled after

2) FHs dont make you go deaf from shooting inside a building/under cover

3) FHs are cheaper and no added cost on many guns (like ARs, most all thats how they are made, brakes are more $$$)

4) because we want to and can? We shouldnt need an explanation. Slippery slippery slope...

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Why not? Why would anyone want a certain colored bic lighter? Why do some people want a white picket fence around their house? Its all personal preference.
Why should they be illegal is my question. its not like them being illegal makes any difference in crime.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like the big fire ball that comes out of my saiga at dusk. But I wish it had a brake.

But my 10/22 came with a flash suppressor to keep the fire ball to a acceptable level, go figure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts