New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on how to make a hand gun legal in NY. Purchased New 30 years ago, put away and forgotten.
I have a Unrestricted Permit in NY.
What are the best options?
Should I surrender to Sherriff or will FFL dealers be able to help? Not sure of the best options and looking for advise.
Not even sure if this is posted in right section.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
if you already have an unrestricted permit then couldn't you just add it to your permit? Or are you saying that it has been laying around, not on your permit buried in a closet somewhere? In that case, being that you are legal to carry, call the local town clerk or pistol permit clerk, they should be able to help you legally add the gun to your permit.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Assuming gun is in your possession within NYS and not on your permit and you're not otherwise exempt from having it on your permit (e.g., LEO, etc.), I would seek the advice of counsel as its a coin toss whether you get locked up or not bringing an unregistered gun to the authorities in NYS. Its probably not best to discuss the details on a public Internet forum as well. Just saying...

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I am sure others will comment but this is what I found and may or may not be helpful.

Firearms Dealers FAQs
Q - May firearms dealers purchase handguns from individuals who possess them unlawfully, such as war souvenirs, heirlooms, etc.?

Yes, provided that certain steps are taken.
Penal Law section 265.20 provides for the surrender of unlawfully possessed firearms, without fear of prosecution, under certain circumstances. If an individual innocently finds him or herself in possession of a handgun, this law provides amnesty from prosecution if the weapons are voluntarily surrendered to a law enforcement agency.
Once the handgun has been surrendered, the receiving agency must investigate whether the weapon is a nuisance property and must be destroyed. If this is not the case, then the weapon may either be possessed by the person who surrendered it (if properly licensed) or he/she may arrange for the sale of the weapon to a licensed firearms dealer.

Laws of New York

(f) A person voluntarily surrendering such weapon, instrument, appliance or substance, provided that such surrender shall be made to the superintendent of the division of state police or a member thereof designated by such superintendent, or to the sheriff of the county in which such person resides, or in the county of Nassau or in the towns of Babylon, Brookhaven, Huntington, Islip and Smithtown in the county of Suffolk to the commissioner of police or a member of the police department thereof designated by such commissioner, or if such person resides in a city, town other than one named in this subparagraph, or village to the police commissioner or head of the police force or department thereof or to a member of the force or department designated by such commissioner or head; and provided, further, that the same shall be surrendered by such person in accordance with such terms and conditions as may be established by such superintendent, sheriff, police force or department. Nothing in this paragraph shall be construed as granting immunity from prosecution for any crime or offense except that of unlawful possession of such weapons, instruments, appliances or substances surrendered as herein provided. A person who possesses any such weapon, instrument, appliance or substance as an executor or administrator or any other lawful possessor of such property of a decedent may continue to possess such property for a period not over fifteen days. If such property is not lawfully disposed of within such period the possessor shall deliver it to an appropriate official described in this paragraph or such property may be delivered to the superintendent of state police. Such officer shall hold it and shall thereafter deliver it on the written request of such executor, administrator or other lawful possessor of such property to a named person, provided such named person is licensed to or is otherwise lawfully permitted to possess the same. If no request to deliver the property is received by such official within one year of the delivery of such property, such official shall dispose of it in accordance with the provisions of section 400.05 of this chapter.

It appears you could surrender it and then sell it to a FFL then buy it from the FFL and have it added if its in NYS already. If its in another state where permits are not required then you may be able to go get it from the other state and have it shipped here to a FFL from the other FFL in the legal state and have it added.

·
Registered
280 Posts
A friend of mine's dad brought back a war trophy Luger from WWII, he kept it for years and never had a NYS permit.
His son got his permit and wanted to add the Luger to it. He turned it in to the local sheriff's office and his dad had to explain how he came into possession of it. They finally declared it wasn't stolen and hadn't been used in a crime so he was allowed to add it to his permit.
Nobody was ever charged with anything over it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
in the process of doing this in herkimer county i was told by the clerk to get the make model and ser# so she can run it thru AFIS and as long as it comes back clean i can have it or the sheriff will be buy to pick it up with no charges being filled on me due to the amnisty law

·
Registered
188 Posts
would just register it, I have a similar story where friends husband died and she had no clue what to do with this pistol, so it went unregistered for 5 or 6 years, I bought it registered it and never had an issue what so ever! Even sold it to a dealer (I regret) but never an issue!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts