New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is an odd piece of advice I'm asking for, but I have this problem with my neighbor. The guy is pretty old and retired, and he has taken it upon himself to mow and weedwack my property, as well as drag my empty garbage can to the back of my house on garbage day.

While it's awesome that I don't have to do those things, I'm worried about him getting injured while doing physical labor on my property, resulting in a lawsuit. Also, it's just kind of irks me that somebody is trespassing on my property and doing the upkeep that I should be doing.

I rarely talk to them, but how should I approach asking them to stop doing such nice things? I want to do it without offending them, you know?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hes probably just bored in his retirement and needs something to keep him busy.. or maybe hes one of those crazy lawn people that feels his neighbors lawn should be as nice as his

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Beat him to it a couple weeks running then tell him you'll stop if he does.

Or mabe offer something in retun if he persists.
You know, like going up a ladder to paint trim or something obviously dangerous for him.

Whatever you do though, don't get into that Christmas card/gift thing, 'cause that **** goes on for a lifetime!

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
You should go black ops mode and break his lawnmower and when he gets it fixed just keep doing it. At some point he will hire a landscaper to do his lawn!

Or you can put weed killer on your lawn and when it all dies theres nothing to mow. Plus you can keep asking what he did to your lawn!

·
Registered
211 Posts
offer something in retun if he persists.
You know, like going up a ladder to paint trim or something obviously dangerous for him.
This. I always think its a great thing to have a good open and helping relationship with my neighbor. I'll snowblow his driveway and help out whenever asked. Although he isnt retired I still like the little things he does to help me out.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Well whenever my dog kills a woodchuck, it seems that he does so directly after garbage day so the chuck sits in the trash and ripens for almost a whole week before the trash gets picked up again. If theres anything that would keep me from being around that trash can unless I absolutely HAD to, it would be that smell.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Hey Scars, I'm sorry for your 'problem' but thanks for posting. This is turning out to be a very entertaining commute for me. Some of these posts are too freaking funny.

Another thing you might consider is getting him a case of beer and thanking him for everything he's done. Might just make his day. Neighbors like that are keepers in some parts... Just saying.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I know I know, Make him an offer he can't refuse.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
put up a fence

·
Registered
124 Posts
I second on offering him a beer. I'd be direct yet polite and ask him what the deal is. Maybe he's a pay it forward kind of guy?

1 - 20 of 152 Posts