New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you who breast out teh turkey because you hate plucking - try skinning to use the whole bird.

Here's a how to piece I wrote on skinning a whole turkey so you don't have to donate half the meat to Mr. Coyote:

A No Plucking Way to Dress Out a Whole Turkey

· Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me too but I am continually amazed when turkey hunting friends tell me that they "just breast out" their birds. With the price of groceries climbing every day I can't imagine leaving half the meat behind !

· Registered
68 Posts
MCFarms, post a recipe.
not so much a recipie as much as it is proper roasting technique, and proper braising technique....but much abbreviated version... soak in brine for 24hrs. coat the whole bird inside out with sea salt, really get in the cavaties good. next lift up the skin and rub salt in to the meat as best and as far down the birds as you can with out ripping the skin. sometimes i also put herbs under the skin, rosemary and sage are great choices, but this may turn the flesh green from the pigment in the leaves. during the cooking process i inject the bird on top of the breast plate with a melted butter turkey glace mixture about every 15min, coat the outside in the begining 3 times then let brown.. the bird is great like this, but then ill takle the wings ,neck giblets, legs and carcass, and braise/ shallow butter poach with the aforementioned mixture plus some fresh strock. good a good braising pan but dont use a rack....the meat is so soft and buttery its flippin outrageous,,,if you provide the bird ill whip one up for ya anytime..my girls father flips his **** every thanksgiving... I also won a poultry cook off at the C.I.A with this method...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.