New York Firearms Forum banner

How Spicy do you make your ammo?

Tags
ammo make spicy
1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Hematite 
#1 ·
For just plincking and target shooting I use a 22. My carry pistol is a S&W M&P 9mm and I use 124 gold dots loaded to +P pressures. My hand loads are simulation of that round, 124 grain bullet and slow burning N350 powder to give off similar flash and recoil of Speer gold dot self I carry for self defense.
What about you guys? Do you usually load mouse farts or something with stout recoil for practice?

#3 ·
While I did start loading 124 gr bullets to match carry ammo, I dont try to make the strongest bullet possible for practice. I can hardly notice the difference anyway.

#4 ·
Overall I keep my Loads about 1 grn below max with most handgun loads !! I do run my 45acp up there a bit,,normally about 2/3 grains under Max,,I like a good Stout 45 Load ! My 9mm are reasonable,,& all my 38s 357 vary depending on what I am using it for !! Its good to keep them off max,,so the Brass lasts a bit longer !! All my rifle 5.56/7.62 are at least 1grn under Max,or more,no reason to put max loads through my Service/Training rifles,,they funtion fine and are very accurate using Med. loads !! Everyones gun is different,,ya need to find what works best in your guns !!

#6 ·
I load my .454 Casull to push a 250gr Hornady XTP right around 1980 FPS. I was going to try for 2000 fps but at 1980 fps they required a fair amount of force to remove the case from the cylinder. Here is a vid of my .454. The evil laugh is my employer/shooting buddy.

YouTube - .454 Casull Vs 15 gallons of water

#7 ·
I also load 700gr hardcast bullets over 25gr of H-110 in a .500 S&W.

#8 ·
depends on what I am loading for, for USPSA, I just need to make minor with my 9mm so they are pretty mild, for fighting practing i try to load them to hot 9mm standards, maybe +P, for rifles, accuracy is more important than max power.

#9 ·
Yup, rifles don't get loaded hot just to say they were spicy. However, the .300 RUM gets a 210gr VLD over 93.2gr of H1000. Not exactly hot for a RUM but it has some stank on it from the bench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.