New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As temperatures heat up, New York City police are cracking down on crime with a little help from the rooftops.

The NYPD announced plans to roll out a $1.5 million pilot program which uses rooftop sensors to monitor and determine the exact location of gunshots stretching over 15 square miles of the city, Capital New York reports.

The city has seen a recent uptick in shootings: 562 as of July 6 compared to 514 during the same time period last year. Mayor Bill de Blasio first mentioned the sensor program, created by California-based ShotSpotter Inc., when he ran for office last year.

ShotSpotter Uses Roofs to Help New York City Police with Shootings

·
Registered
374 Posts
I predict they are going to find the shootings are coming from the very same areas that they respond to on reports of people who have been shot.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I predict they are going to find the shootings are coming from the very same areas that they respond to on reports of people who have been shot.
That, lol.

Unless the system could, at the very least, ID make, model, and caliber, it's worthless. There's already a system in place to get info on where gunshots come from; it's called 911 dispatch.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
They get smart roofs and dumb mayors

·
Registered
554 Posts
Like we couldn't use the money more responsibly? Arm the citizens. The policing will become easier.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Troy had this for a few years and got rid of it. It was unreliable and inaccurate "...but with so many tall buildings, and a hill in the city, the sound waves are sometimes blocked or redirected..l"
So NYC is going to get rid of the tall buildings?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Wow..... ya can't make this stuff up.

They will do anything to justify their existence.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
As temperatures heat up, New York City police are cracking down on crime with a little help from the rooftops.

The NYPD announced plans to roll out a $1.5 million pilot program which uses rooftop sensors to monitor and determine the exact location of gunshots stretching over 15 square miles of the city, Capital New York reports.

The city has seen a recent uptick in shootings: 562 as of July 6 compared to 514 during the same time period last year. Mayor Bill de Blasio first mentioned the sensor program, created by California-based ShotSpotter Inc., when he ran for office last year.

ShotSpotter Uses Roofs to Help New York City Police with Shootings
This can't be true, the unsafe act should stop shootings and make us safe. Ask the gubner.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
and when unarmed citizens get gunned down, the police will look at the body and say " yep, this is exactly where the system said the shots came from" NY city is supposed to be safe with all the restrictions on gun ownership but as we all know, it's the bad guys who have the guns and the law abiding citizens who suffer. Brown, in buffalo will want it next

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Probably just a way to eavesdrop on people's conversations. It's public safety and all. Oh and for the children or something like that.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
More money down the rathole for the perception of safety. How will this prevent crime?

“The best systems are those that you can tie in with your camera systems. You not only get recording of the gunshots, but you get the camera activation right away,” he said.

So the next request is for more cameras all over the city with the ability to easily monitor people at will. What could be wrong with that?

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Why dont they have government sponsored self defense and firearms training classes? The 2a calls for it! "A well rehulsted militia" means well armed and trained. We should be demanding this from our legislators.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
they will get stolen and sold on the black market to Gaza. The NYPD couldn't stop the flags on the brooklyn bridge from being swapped out, how do they expect the sensors to be safe?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
This has got to be the funniest thread I read in a few weeks ! You guys are all right in my book ! It's amazing how these politicians will do anything to explain their existence to control these sheep !

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Probably just a way to eavesdrop on people's conversations. It's public safety and all. Oh and for the children or something like that.
The Troy system was doing that.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
They have had gun control since 1911! That is over one hundred years! What further proof does any thinking person need to see the epic FAIL!
Closer to home. I was in Cheektowaga at a large parking lot near Walden and Union. I see an unmarked police car with all kinds of cameras sticking out of the front and rear fenders. Driver was not in uniform but going up and down the aisles with the cameras pointing at the license plates of the parked cars.
Sorry, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around this in the United States of America. They will tell you they are looking for stolen cars. Yeah right! They are looking for non renewals or expired or wanted for parking tickets etc. Follow the money.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The system tells you shots are being fired, so at best all that money tells them to go pick up a body.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
No doubt this smells like kickback and or DIRECT MONETARY GAIN.....and of course this will go through while they foot the bill which gets sucked from Albany therefore we foot the bill. [

QUOTE=MrG;919993]Police commissioner Bill Bratton, who formerly served on ShotSpotter's board, called the sensors "extraordinarily effective" at a City Council hearing in May

Read more: ShotSpotter Uses Roofs to Help New York City Police with Shootings

I smell something pretty rotten with this.[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts