New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much ammo is too much? My problem is .22 ammo. When I see a good deal I buy it regardless if I already have over 10,000 rounds. Should I stop? I'm afraid ammo is going to be really expensive due to the laws and natural resources depleting. I mean how much brass, copper and lead do we have left? You can only recycle so much. As I type this, I'm at the SG ammo website looking to buy 7.62x54 ammo. Hopefully I will stop there!!! Oh wait, they have 5,250 round case of Winchester 36 grain HV for $175!! LOL!

James

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
how many rounds do you shoot a week/month/year. If you answer 1000 rounds a year then you have a 10 year supply. If you shoot 1000 rounds a week you have a 10 week supply. How much is too much? Only you can be the judge of that. A 10 year supply should be plenty.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Open your wallet. Do you see green paper with pictures of dead presidents on it? Then you don't have enough ammo. ;)

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Yes. It's true. You can never have enough ammo...

:)

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I went to SGammo and again I could not help myself. Bought 440rds 7.62x54, box of Critical Defense 357mag, 120 rds of 44mag and some Horndady defense 380 ammo. Think about it, what do you think the price of metal will be in 15 years? This stuff is going to be expensive as hell! You will probably see less casings made out of brass and more of other metals. Well I think I'm good for now. I guess I'm a crazed maniac killer with all this ammo! Look out! LOL!

James

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how many rounds do you shoot a week/month/year. If you answer 1000 rounds a year then you have a 10 year supply. If you shoot 1000 rounds a week you have a 10 week supply. How much is too much? Only you can be the judge of that. A 10 year supply should be plenty.
Actually this may sound stupid or backwards but I do not shoot much at all. My philosophy is to buy the firearms and ammunition now while I can afford it then down the road I can enjoy it. In the near future this is not going to be an affordable hobby. You think some of the stuff now is expensive, wait 10 or so years. Trust me on this one.

James

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Actually this may sound stupid or backwards but I do not shoot much at all. My philosophy is to buy the firearms and ammunition now while I can afford it then down the road I can enjoy it. In the near future this is not going to be an affordable hobby. You think some of the stuff now is expensive, wait 10 or so years. Trust me on this one.

James
I did not shoot for a period of 10 years looking at the price on the boxes today vs 10 years ago they are a little different.
2.99 for 20 7.62x39
0.99 for 22 LR
19.99 for .308 165 grain
2.99 for .223
9.99 for .17 HMR
6.99 for 22 WMR
9.99 for 357 Mag
3.99 for .38 Spec
15.99 for 10MM and .40 S&W
10.99 for 38 Super

About the biggest price change I see from 10 years ago is the 22LR

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You sure those prices are correct? Some of them seem wrong like the 17HMR and the .308. I cannot see how that is correct since the price of powder, primers, lead, copper and brass has gone up significantly in the past 10 years. I really would not know since I was not a gun owner back but with inflation, one would think the prices you posted are wrong but you would know better than I would since you bought this stuff 10 years ago.

James

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
You sure those prices are correct? Some of them seem wrong like the 17HMR and the .308. I cannot see how that is correct since the price of powder, primers, lead, copper and brass has gone up significantly in the past 10 years. I really would not know since I was not a gun owner back but with inflation, one would think the prices you posted are wrong but you would know better than I would since you bought this stuff 10 years ago.

James
right off the boxes, I usually bought stuff when it went on sale.

the 308s are Barns X bullets which I am sure cost a lot more today and the 17 HMR are Hornaday.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmmmm. You can get Horndady 17 for $9.99 today. I still think it is going to be very expensive in the near future. More wars are going on as well so that does not help.

James

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When you wake up with a bullet stuck to your butt cheek, then you have too much. I actually plan on hoarding ammo over the next year. Sgammo is a good place?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
How much did you get the 54r tin for?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Hmmmmmm. You can get Horndady 17 for $9.99 today. I still think it is going to be very expensive in the near future. More wars are going on as well so that does not help.

James
10 years ago you could not get them anywhere and when you could get them you could only get Hornaday, like the 5.7x28 is now. the price for 5.7 is anywhere from 22-40 bucks a box. When CCI and Rem came into the 17 HMR market the prices went down quite a bit, but I ordered 2000 rounds with the Rem 597s I bought for the Kid and I. The 5.7 prices may go down if another manufacturer comes into the market but that may not be for another few years if at all.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you wake up with a bullet stuck to your butt cheek, then you have too much. I actually plan on hoarding ammo over the next year. Sgammo is a good place?
LOL @ butt cheek!

Yes they are! Very fast shipping. All that ammo I mentioned above with insurance only cost me $20. Most of their prices are cheaper than others if you include shipping. Not much that they do sell is overpriced. AIM is another good one I hear of but not always the cheapest when it comes to ammo. Beginning of this year, I bought 1,000 rounds of 9mm Lawman and 1,000 rounds of Blazer 45ACP and with the shipping, I could not find anyone on the internet that could beat their price and I was checking everywhere for hours.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
I bought 40 tins of 54r from Century back when it was $42 per tin...shipped

Also horded abt 20-25 tins of 5.45

Yet I shoot 223 99% the time but only have 400-500 rounds of that..

The ruskie cals I love. Just a bit too much. 223 and 308 from now on for me. Exclusively

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I see in the not to distant future ammo will be a form of currency. So stock up!
Yep, and you can never have too much. And if u ever need to you can sell some, its as good as money in the bank!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts