New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that the 7 round thing has been struck (and prince king wanna be andy says it is struck) how many rounds can you put into a REGISTERED M1 carbine magazine????

I am not sure there is an answer for this. The antique mag is exempt from the LCAFD rules, it holds 15, and there is no longer a 7 except at the range you can load 10 law. The law has been struck.

So how many rounds can you load into a registered antique magazine?

BTW, I neutered my M1 carbine so I don't have to register it, but the mags have to be registered to be legal. I refuse to mod them to 10 rounds F U A C

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is all I can find in the law. Since 265.37 has been STRUCK and even prince andy says it is STRUCK, I don't see anything that prohibits loading a registered M1 Carbine mag with 15 rounds. There is no longer any 7 round limit, and the 10 round CAPACITY limit does not apply to registered antique mags.

23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,

drum, feed strip, or similar device, that (a) has a capacity of, or that
can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of
ammunition, or * (b) contains more than seven rounds of ammunition, or
(c) is obtained after the effective date of the chapter of the laws of
two thousand thirteen which amended this subdivision and has a capacity
of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than
seven rounds of ammunition

§ 265.37 Unlawful possession of certain ammunition feeding devices.
It shall be unlawful for a person to knowingly possess an ammunition
feeding device where such device contains more than seven rounds of
ammunition.
If such device containing more than seven rounds of ammunition is
possessed within the home of the possessor, the person so possessing the
device shall, for a first offense, be guilty of a violation and subject
to a fine of two hundred dollars, and for each subsequent offense, be
guilty of a class B misdemeanor and subject to a fine of two hundred
dollars and a term of up to three months imprisonment.
If such device containing more than seven rounds of ammunition is
possessed in any location other than the home of the possessor, the
person so possessing the device shall, for a first offense, be guilty of
a class B misdemeanor and subject to a fine of two hundred dollars and a
term of up to six months imprisonment, and for each subsequent offense,
be guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

Also, on another note. I work for a contractor that provides security to a government facility. It IS in the nature of a defense contract. It appears that I could be issued just about anything pursuant to contract, and would be EXEMPT while working (obviously on Gov't property) AND while going to and from work. Transport to and from home would be necessary. The reason I bring it up is it appears they are going to be required to issue us .40 cal handguns, and we would not be allowed to leave them on the premises. So it raises the question if they would even need to be added to a permit, since it is a defense contract. F U A C

(e) Persons employed in fulfilling defense contracts with the
government of the United States or agencies thereof when possession of
the same is necessary for manufacture, transport, installation and
testing under the requirements of such contract.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
So can fully load up the belts on my 1919 now? Will I have to register each link? The older cloth belts?

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So can fully load up the belts on my 1919 now? Will I have to register each link? The older cloth belts?
So let's see.
10 round belt is legal.
If the belt is "antique" as defined in the NYS PL, you can register it and keep it as many rounds as you list on the form.

So it appears you could always keep and register a 200 round belt. But only load it with 7, or 10 at the range.

BUT, that law is gone off the books now. Even andy says so. Ergo, I can find nothing in the law that limits the number of rounds you can load into a registered antique mag OR a rimfire tube. Centerfire tube is still limited to 10 CAPACITY, not load.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Where does it say that in regards to antique mags. Please reference the laws posted above.
It's all magazines, where do you see an exemption for antiques?

In the context of the law you posted an antique magazine has no more meaning than a plastic magazine or a pink magazine.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's all magazines, where do you see an exemption for antiques?

In the context of the law you posted an antique magazine has no more meaning than a plastic magazine or a pink magazine.
On the registration form they call it an "antique" magazine, in the law they call it a "curio or relic". Either way, a WWII M1 Carbine mag qualifies as does a WWI or WWII machine gun belt. There is no limit on the CAPACITY of an "antique" mag, and since the 7 round rule is gone, there does not appear to be any limit on how many rounds you can load.

23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,
drum, feed strip, or similar device, that (a) has a capacity of, or that
can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of
ammunition, or * (b) contains more than seven rounds of ammunition, or
(c) is obtained after the effective date of the chapter of the laws of
two thousand thirteen which amended this subdivision and has a capacity
of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than
seven rounds of ammunition
* NB Suspended and NOT Effective per ch 1/2013 § 58, as amended by ch
57/2013 Pt. FF § 4
; provided, however, that such term does not include an attached
tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,
.22 caliber rimfire ammunition or a feeding device that is a curio or
relic. A feeding device that is a curio or relic is defined as a device
that (i) was manufactured at least fifty years prior to the current
date,

·
Registered
83 Posts
iirc, why do you feel compelled to register it?last i knew, the safe act only applies to mags newer than 1963(50 years old at the time safe act was passed). i thought the state basically acknowledges this as they state on their safe act FAQ that you are "encouraged" to register them, or some other similar wording...antiques are exempt, why surrender info you dont need to?

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
iirc, why do you feel compelled to register it?last i knew, the safe act only applies to mags newer than 1963(50 years old at the time safe act was passed). i thought the state basically acknowledges this as they state on their safe act FAQ that you are "encouraged" to register them, or some other similar wording...antiques are exempt, why surrender info you dont need to?
Not so. They MUST be registered to be legal.

Andy the boy putz who wants to be king suggests nothing.

They can in fact be bought and sold, but must be registered. In fact, they got that one right on the SAFE web site.

·
Registered
83 Posts
if you want standard capacity fun, m1 carbines and those suomi carbines look to be the best bet, as all of their magazines are exempt, and you dont have to neuter the rifle unreasonably to use them.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you want standard capacity fun, m1 carbines and those suomi carbines look to be the best bet, as all of their magazines are exempt, and you dont have to neuter the rifle unreasonably to use them.
The mags are only "exempt" if registered.

·
Registered
83 Posts
just looked at the faq online, they say on faq that they must be registered, lsnt the exact wording of the law such that this is basically a lie?sorry for being obtuse, i just remember reading something official from ny that said antiques are exempt, and about the same time, they pulled the full safe act and put the faq in place. ...

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just looked at the faq online, they say on faq that they must be registered, lsnt the exact wording of the law such that this is basically a lie?sorry for being obtuse, i just remember reading something official from ny that said antiques are exempt, and about the same time, they pulled the full safe act and put the faq in place. ...
Antiques are actually defined differently in the PL. They just mixed up their terms.
The law and the site also state that you must register both the mags AND the gun. I was able to register just the mags. Of course, all I got was a tracking number so it is possible the reg will bounce.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Here is the actual law to limit all the confusion.

A few things to take note of. If the magazine can be used in any firearm that is not older than 50 years it is illegal. If the gun is a replica of said firearm though its still good to go. (Sorry folks that old AR-15 USGI magazines will never be legal)

A
FEEDING DEVICE THAT IS A CURIO OR RELIC. A FEEDING DEVICE THAT IS A
CURIO OR RELIC IS DEFINED AS A DEVICE THAT (I) WAS MANUFACTURED AT LEAST
FIFTY YEARS PRIOR TO THE CURRENT DATE, (II) IS ONLY CAPABLE OF BEING
USED EXCLUSIVELY IN A FIREARM, RIFLE, OR SHOTGUN THAT WAS MANUFACTURED
AT LEAST FIFTY YEARS PRIOR TO THE CURRENT DATE, BUT NOT INCLUDING REPLI-
CAS THEREOF, (III) IS POSSESSED BY AN INDIVIDUAL WHO IS NOT PROHIBITED
BY STATE OR FEDERAL LAW FROM POSSESSING A FIREARM AND (IV) IS REGISTERED
WITH THE DIVISION OF STATE POLICE PURSUANT TO SUBDIVISION SIXTEEN-A OF
SECTION 400.00 OF THIS CHAPTER, EXCEPT SUCH FEEDING DEVICES TRANSFERRED
INTO THE STATE MAY BE REGISTERED AT ANY TIME, PROVIDED THEY ARE REGIS-
TERED WITHIN THIRTY DAYS OF THEIR TRANSFER INTO THE STATE.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Correct. An M1 Carbine mag is legal if registered.
I think there was also a semi auto Reising .45 carbine, and that mag would be legal. However, there is a drop down box for the maker of the gun that takes the mag, and while they do have the Carbine makers, they do not have obscure makers on there, so I think you would have to do a written and mailed reg.

Another one that comes to mind is the Pederson device. There are plenty of 30 round mags floating around, but of course there are NO guns to put it into. (unless of course you want to associate it with a 1903 Springfield, but I doubt that is on the list LOL).

There were also Springfield "trench mags" in WWI, don't know the capacity off hand.

And as far as I can tell it should be legal to register a 50+ year old belt no matter how many links there are, although it is doubtful that anyone in New York has a belt fed gun to use it in.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Correct. An M1 Carbine mag is legal if registered.
I think there was also a semi auto Reising .45 carbine, and that mag would be legal. However, there is a drop down box for the maker of the gun that takes the mag, and while they do have the Carbine makers, they do not have obscure makers on there, so I think you would have to do a written and mailed reg.

Another one that comes to mind is the Pederson device. There are plenty of 30 round mags floating around, but of course there are NO guns to put it into. (unless of course you want to associate it with a 1903 Springfield, but I doubt that is on the list LOL).

There were also Springfield "trench mags" in WWI, don't know the capacity off hand.

And as far as I can tell it should be legal to register a 50+ year old belt no matter how many links there are, although it is doubtful that anyone in New York has a belt fed gun to use it in.
Zombie thread..

so anyone successfully register a Suomi mag or AK mag? No guns exist that are 50+ years old that take them...
NYSP told me on the phone if I had a 50+ year old AK mag it wouldn't be a problem to register... So slabsides would be legal...

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Free America is laughing at us.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts