New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got done cooking steak and eggs for breakfast and low and behold like most of the time when I cook or grill I burned myself.

Today I cooked the steak in a cast iron pan with melted butter in it. I used a spatula to flip it instead of tongs and I splattered hot molten butter all over my arm and I am waiting to see if it blisters or not.
Computer keyboard Hood Input device Automotive tire Finger

It may be hard to see but basically I have a lot of red spots from the butter.

Now this is a technique I developed after touching a fireplace grate on accident.

Basically what you do is grab some paper towels and fold it over 3 times and make sure its of an appropriate size for the burn area. Then soak it in water and squeeze most of the water out then open it back up to its folded position and throw in the freezer.

After 5 minutes or so it should be stiff but bendable. Apply it to affected area and wrap it around arm in my case or fingers (my usual burn area).
Hood Gesture Thumb Automotive tire Finger
Leg Kitchen appliance Gesture Kitchen stove Home appliance

Once you do that it will stay in place on its own for the most part. Its important to also note that you should be keeping it cool with cold water while your waiting for the above technique.

I typically will do this for around 20 minutes and change as necessary. After that point I stop doing it and deal with the pain and it goes away within a couple minutes after that.

That is what works for me on my 1st and 2nd degree burns but remember I am not a doctor and you should seek medical attention when you feel it necessary.

Anyways just figured I would share that.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Pro Tip:

1. Use a Splatter screen over your frying pan

2. Before removing cover/splatter screen, reduce heat to low or turn off and wait until the "sizzling" sound slows down. This will greatly reduce your chances of being burned because the oil isn't as hot and won't be jumping all over the place. Once you are done stirring or flipping your food, return heat to appropiate temperature.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Another thing to note, when using oils/fats/grease, make sure whatever you're putting in it is as dry as possible. Obviously this is pointless when you're cooking, but a good thing to keep track of when you start out cooking.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
My wife was cooking bacon topless once and got grease on her nipple, she wasn't very happy about that and now I dont get topless bacon anymore :(

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am looking at my arm now and it is much worse then what it looks like in the picture lol. At least it finally stopped hurting. Its borderline between 1st and 2nd degree.

I think overall the best thing I have tried with a burn is aloe straight from the plant. that surprisingly takes the pain right away.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I usually just run it under cold water for a few minutes. If I remember I'll try your technique out. Sounds interesting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.