New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dilema folks.....I have $2,600 tied up in this White Oak Target/Varmint build I have going on......I want to get a 6.8 SPC and a .204 Ruger from White Oak as well and in a perfect world I would build them all as a seperate rifle....But that is a ton of coin.....I realize once I zero a scope on the upper,the lower doesn't nake a difference....I am just wondering how much of a pounding I an going to put on a single lower for all 3 applications.... ??? Thanks guys......

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a 22lr upper, a Beowulf upper and soon to have a 6.5 Grendel upper, along with the factory 223 upper, that go to just one lower. I've honestly haven't seen any notice of "pounding" on it. I have often thought of getting at least another lower for the Beowulf but meh I dont have to.... yet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Realistically it won't be as big of a deal as you would think. A friend of mine has been doing exactly what you're talking about for years, maybe even more extreme than what you're contemplating. I believe he has 11 uppers, all different whether it be the scope, round or suppressed/not suppressed and rotates them through only 2 uppers. He'll take 4 or 5 uppers to the range just for different shooting. Can't think it is that big of a deal since he's probably went through 50,000 rounds each on the lowers and hasn't changed his ways.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have two lowers and have had a bunch of uppers. As long as the uppers are correctly sized, it shouldn't be any worse than taking it apart to clean it.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm.......Good stuff......I am using a Timney Trigger and KNS pins in it so i'm thinking it will be ok to use multiples,and they all are compatible with the lower and standard .223 mags.....Thank you...!

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Your Buffer spring will need to be replaced around 5k (normal wear) rounds but other than that you should not have any issues.

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
Lowers are the cheap part, I would at least have a spare before I bought anymore uppers.
Something breaks on your 1 lower and you're S.O.L. for all the uppers.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lowers are the cheap part, I would at least have a spare before I bought anymore uppers.
Something breaks on your 1 lower and you're S.O.L. for all the uppers.
True......Just shooting paper,I highly doubt I will see 1,000 rounds out of all 3......If need be I have a complete RRA fire control assembly...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
swapping lowers not a problem

pain in the ass time after time after time, or range trip with 2 AR uppers...yes
True......But since I am in a wheelchair it would be easier for me to carry a 3 pack in one case....

·
Registered
984 Posts
To expand on this I would ask a question, yes I know I could probably search for the answer but if some of you dont mind obliging I would appreciate a response.
What uppers can be mounted to a standard lower without modifications to the mag well, or must adapters of some type or special magazines be used.
I'd love to have a Grendel and a 45acp upper to add on.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
True......But since I am in a wheelchair it would be easier for me to carry a 3 pack in one case....
True. Sorry about that I didn't even think.

There are some nice "double" rifle soft cases that could accommodate 3 uppers and a complete lower. It just may be the way to go after all for you.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
To expand on this I would ask a question, yes I know I could probably search for the answer but if some of you dont mind obliging I would appreciate a response.
What uppers can be mounted to a standard lower without modifications to the mag well, or must adapters of some type or special magazines be used.
I'd love to have a Grendel and a 45acp upper to add on.
The Grendel uses different magazines if you want them to be reliable, but doesn't need any adapters. As for a .45 upper, I've seen Olympic Arms magazines which don't need adapters, and some magwell adapters to take different surplus SMG magazines.

If you're feeling particularly industrious, a non-firearm lower receiver casting could be finished to accept theoretically any .45 magazine you could find.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

There are some nice "double" rifle soft cases that could accommodate 3 uppers and a complete lower. It just may be the way to go after all for you.
No wories man...:)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Do you happen to have a link to those cases are you talking about ??? That is a better idea than what I had !

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll take a pic and find a tag on it for you by tomorrow noon.
Ive got two bags that'd work perfect
Hey that would be great ! I work until 3pm so no hurry....Thanks I appreciate the info...!

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Found one basically a clone of mine.
They are called 2-gun sniper mat cases or also similar types are sniper drag bags (though typically that type hasn't got MOLLE attachment webbing)
Inside you can EASILY fit two true long guns.
On the outside there are slim pockets , but not large enough for a third upper....
so, my idea is get a bag like this and get a MOLLE attachment for the third upper , this should work nicely.
Once done you can fit two full length complete ARs and the third , spare upper in the outside MOLLE pouch.
Worst case, wrap the 3rd upper in a shirt and put it in one of the two regular sides of the case, there is plenty room..

ETA found my exact one...
http://ballistictech.com/catalog/deluxe-shooters-mat-od-green-p-327.html

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for the info,nice find ! I will look into that case.....:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts