New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired a Coleman powermate 5000 that is a couple years old. I checked the oil and it looks pretty clean and full. The previous owner drained the fuel, but I think they may have stored it without fuel regularly.
I will only be using this generator during power outages.

Should I change the oil anyway?
What do you do to your generator other than changing the oil for maintenance?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Change the oil now, and every 50 hours of operation. Keep the fuel tank full, add Sta-Bil to it. Run for 20 minutes a month, every month.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sea-Foam, and If you can afford Tool-Fuel or Fuel w/o alcohol in it.
Without fuel is best these days. Petrochemicals suck

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Ditto change oil anyways then you at least know when it was done last and what's in it. We have about 10 at work and we've found the best way to store them is full of fuel with stabil. If you could find ethanol free gas around you that's what I'd use to store it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
X2 on ethanol free fuel. It would also be worth while installing a fuel shutoff valve in the fuel line if it doesn't have one, and use it when the unit is stored.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I store mine filled with Stabil'd gas, and run it about every three months. When I run it, I do not shut it off, but instead turn the fuel valve off and let it run the carb dry and stall. No problems in 8 or 9 years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always use premium Tier 1 fuel with BOTH regular red sta-bil AND blue "Marine" sta-bil, which the manufacturer suggested. After each use I also drain the carb bowl after allowing it to stall. Premium gas with Sta-bil allows for longer term storage. I can get several months or more with even ethanol fuel this way. Unused fuel gets siphoned out and replenished at least annually.

I also use only synthetic oil (changed every 100 hours or annually) and do run the units periodically and with a load even though I have Honda inverter gensets, which are astounding quiet and require less maintenance. Running with a load is critical for standard units as they can become demagnetized. This does not happen to inverter units. If you won't use it for more than several months fog the cylinder.

Also, keep common spare parts and oil on hand as well as a few cans of stabilized fuel. The genset you describe can use a surprising amount of fuel as it basically has 3 positions: off, idle (no load) and full speed (load).

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
I was going to answer but everyone seems to have covered what I was going to say. I store mine in a shed at the back of the property during the summer months. In the winter I bring it up to the garage for storage so I don't have to dig my way out to it if I need it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I installed an on/off valve in the gas line of both my genny's. One is for the home, and the other I carry for camping and other odd ball events needing some sort of power. When I'm through using it I drain the unused portion back into my gas can, then run the genny till the carb empties. I use one for emergency purposes only and have stored it this way since 1999 Y2K bug prepper lol. Then I've used it extensively for the flood of 2006, 2011, Katrina, and a hand full of other outages we've had over the years. I've always used Pennzoil 30w motor oil too. Preferences may vary, but if you keep a maintenance schedule it'll last for years.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for all of your helpful input, I'm going to go ahead and change the oil and find some non ethanol gas to fill it up with.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ditto change oil anyways then you at least know when it was done last and what's in it. We have about 10 at work and we've found the best way to store them is full of fuel with stabil. If you could find ethanol free gas around you that's what I'd use to store it.
Here's a useful website that you can find all the gas stations that sell Ethanol Free Gasoline. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

If you have a Smartphone, download their app from their website, and you'll be able to use your phone's GPS to see all the gas stations near you that have Ethanol Free Gas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts