New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
how do you hold a barrel to remove an a2 screw on flash suppressor ? thanks in advance

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was told that puts all the strain on the timing pin/post lug of the barrel just wanted to see if any other suggestions are out the ...thanks for the input

·
Registered
78 Posts
two pieces of wood on each side of the barrel and the put into a vice.

there is not a high torque spec on the muzzle device, it should come off fairly easily.

if it seems too tough to get off, make sure its not pinned/welded or soldered.

assuming its NYS legal it should be permanently attached.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its just a barrel i picked up and got a compensator to be pinned on before i do anything with it

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
They sell actual barrel vices that clamp on to it. Without a vice, you're likely to twist the barrel itself.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
They sell actual barrel vices that clamp on to it. Without a vice, you're likely to twist the barrel itself.
That'd have to be an extremely brittle, low-quality barrel if you can twist it from taking off/putting on a muzzle device. They're not torqued a whole lot (If I recall, under 50ft lbs).

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
That'd have to be an extremely brittle, low-quality barrel if you can twist it from taking off/putting on a muzzle device. They're not torqued a whole lot (If I recall, under 50ft lbs).
Better safe than sorry

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's a colt barrel its just the first time i'm trying to get one off and its that safe then sorry thing.......lol

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Better safe than sorry
While I want to agree... IF the barrel will twist under that little torque, I sure as $hit would never risk putting a bullet down it!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
If you clamp it right behind the comp you won't have to worry about twisting the barrel........Then use a good set of plumbers pliers and some leather to wrap the barrel....Should come right off,there should also be a crush washer right behind it....Might not hurt to put a few drops of 3&1 oil on it and wait a few hours to let it work it's way in if you are worried about breaking it free.....

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Haven't tried on a barrel before but they work great on pipes....

Strap Wrenches - RIDGID Professional Tools

Available at any Home Depot / Lowes in plumbing section.
I don't think they adjust small enough to clamp on a bare barrel.....They use the strap wrenches a lot to install free float tubes,I guess if you wrap the barrel with enough leather to take up the slack it would work,but he is trying to hold the barrel to remove the comp,not remove the barrel itself...

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I've got a small strap wrench that would definitely work on a barrel. Had it for years, not sure of brand or where I got it. I would also recommend using an upper vice block and just this as additional support.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I've got a small strap wrench that would definitely work on a barrel. Had it for years, not sure of brand or where I got it. I would also recommend using an upper vice block and just this as additional support.
Negative on the vise blocks.....That is how you twist a barrel......If you clamp it right behind the comp and remove it,it is much more rigid and will eliminate the twist threat....

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts