New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems I've got a bunch of ladders taking up a lot of room. Can you store these outside? They're aluminum/fiberglass. I'm thinking building some sort of rack under my deck. Will weather/sun light impair them from a safety standpoint?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
By aluminum ladder has been on a hanger in the garage. Think being outside would cause to oxidize. Fiberglass should ok but think sunlight may cause degradation. Not expert just my opinion

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I have them under the back deck haven't noticed any issues but if you leave them outside make sure to secure with lock&chain ! Too the deck preferably one of the support posts ;)

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have them under the back deck haven't noticed any issues but if you leave them outside make sure to secure with lock&chain ! Too the deck preferably one of the support posts ;)
Ha! They're insured by Smith & Wesson...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have ladders that have been out in the weather for 30 yrs. , they are just fine.
Hang them on the side of a garage or barn if you want to keep them of the ground.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
my dad has hung aluminum scaffold on the side of our barn for his business for 30 years...they are still fine, although one did get stolen when i was around 15 years old.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my dad has hung aluminum scaffold on the side of our barn for his business for 30 years...they are still fine, although one did get stolen when i was around 15 years old.
Yeah, I've got scaffolding too, lol... You'd think I actually worked for a living, ha, ha...

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
We have 1 20 foot fiber glass ladder we got hanging on the back side of the garage hanging with 2 hooks,the rest of the ladder we have are a 6 aluminum and 8 foot fiber glass step ladders we having standing up inside the garage along with a little 4 foot wooden step ladder we really do not have any other place to store or put them..

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My problem is I had two houses for a long time. Sold one, so now I've got pretty much two of everything... I should start a rental business...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Mine are stored outside. I have pegs on the back side of my garage (garage is not attached to the house) and the ladders are hung horizontally to the ground. A tarp covers them. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine are stored outside. I have pegs on the back side of my garage (garage is not attached to the house) and the ladders are hung horizontally to the ground. A tarp covers them. Never had an issue.
I might try something like that with the new shed. Problem is the back side of the shed faces the driveway, and I don't want to be looking at ladders hanging or a tarp. Maybe can figure out some sort of enclosure that I can stain same as the shed...

Thanks, appreciate the tip.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I might try something like that with the new shed. Problem is the back side of the shed faces the driveway, and I don't want to be looking at ladders hanging or a tarp. Maybe can figure out some sort of enclosure that I can stain same as the shed...

Thanks, appreciate the tip.
What you could do is build a little wooden canopy over them attach to your shed to help protect them from the weather..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts