• Complete

Votes: 23 95.8%
  • Taken Down

Votes: 1 4.2%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to determine what damage,if any repeated take down's have on a typical AR......I would rather carry/transport mine taken down but not if it's going to cause it harm taking it down over and over...I assume the only real abuse points would be the take down and pivot pins and thier respective holes in the lower receiver ??

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
I always carry mine complete. I don't think taking it down will harm anything. Why would you do it though? Space issue?

· Registered
3,865 Posts
If you take it down 1 or 2 million times, maybe. But I don't see them pins wearing out that easy even. They aren't getting bent or twisted, they are sliding a 1/2 inch or so.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Takedown and pivot pins are also about $10 if you do break them...

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have explained,yes Darth the reason I would prefer to carry it taken down is because I am in a wheelchair,so it would be much easier to carry a take down case across my lap rather than a standard case....Doorways and such are a real problem,and after 21 years in a wheelchair I am pretty good at figuring ways around things,but not at carrying a full length case without getting stuck or dropping it a bunch of times....And since I have $2,500 + tied up in this target AR build I am working on I would just assume not drop it....

· Registered
2,534 Posts
I carry mine on a sling.
I transport in a suitable soft case.
:)

In regard to takedown, ya, the others have it right. It isn't going to hurt a thing (*)

Look at the military: they've got weapons that in some instances are decades old and have been broken down who knows how many times in that, and by caring individuals, individuals who are dumber than rocks, and individuals who might be deliberately rougher because they are PO'd about having to frig with thier indiviudally issued weapon again for the umpteenth time in a week.
And thats not even near the level of abuse that basic training weapons go through.
Them puppies get flat out whupped.

They are tools.
They are meant to be used as such.
Yes, dings and scrapes might not be sexy and cut resale value, but in the grander scheme they also won't effect the funcion of the tool.

* Caveat: leaving the takedown pin and pivot pin sticking out after breakdown isn't real high on the bright ideas list.
T'ain't no fun catching them on something and snapping the pivot pin 'ear' off the receiver or egging out the takedown pin hole.
(its akin to leaving the chuck key in a lathe while you go mess with something else. it only takes one oppsie moment to generate some pretty ugly results even if you've done it a zillion times before without incident)

· Registered
2,534 Posts
it would be much easier to carry a take down case across my lap rather than a standard case
Have you ever looked into saddle sheathes/holsters or the mounts they make for 4 wheelers?
Might be something out there that can easily affix to you chair without being a PITA or super space occupying that would allow literal hands (and lap) free carrying then be removed easily if you don'y want it there all the time.

EDIT: Perhaps even something that goes on the back of the chair and is employed like a back mounted rig (think Aliens cpl. Hicks with the shotgun) if you can reach over your shoulder like that.

You could install/remove yourself when prepping for/ending your day.
(a soft version should allow the chair to be folded for transport)

The only concern of course would be some dick coming up from behind and snatching it if you went with that configuration.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you ever looked into saddle sheathes/holsters or the mounts they make for 4 wheelers?
Might be something out there that can easily affix to you chair without being a PITA or super space occupying that would allow literal hands (and lap) free carrying then be removed easily if you don'y want it there all the time.
No,I haven't looked into anything like that.....I see a discreet take down case by Castle Rock Tactical (link below) The short one is "27.5 inches long.....My upper measures exactly "25 inches long.....I am pretty sure it will work,and that would be perfect for me.....Please let me know what you think after you look at the pictures in the link.....Thanks !

Castle Rock Tactical - Discreet Case

· Registered
2,534 Posts
Doesn't look like such a bad bit of kit.
Good material, looks like adiqute cushioning where needed.

Doesn't say what the stitching is though, which is usually where things start to fail 1st.
Nylon vs cotton and double vs single.

Kinda steep in price though isn't it?
(I wouldn't know. I've not bought or even looked at bags in years and the last I got were $30 so I prolly don't have a real good frame of reference)

Note that a side by side carry bag will be extra thick while a top over bottom type will be extra broad.
Perhaps something to consider.
Like if that bag ends up big a foot thick when packed, it might not be such a joy to carry on your lap.
(though backpack mode would alleviate that pretty quick)

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doesn't look like such a bad bit of kit.
Good material, looks like adiqute cushioning where needed.

Doesn't say what the stitching is though, which is usually where things start to fail 1st.

Kinda steep in price though isn't it?
(I wouldn't know. I've not bought or even looked at bags in years and the last I got were $30 so I prolly don't have a real good frame of reference)

Note that a side by side carry bag will be extra thick while a top over bottom type will be extra broad.
Perhaps something to consider.
Like if that bag ends up big a foot thick when packed, it might not be such a joy to carry on your lap.
(though backpack mode would alleviate that pretty quick)
Actually that is a very reasonable price compared to others I have seen,and it's 10% off with thier discount code.....It's not the width I am concerned about,if it did end up 12" wide that's even better to sit flat on my lap....It's the length that jams me up....Thank you for looking at it and your input,I appreciate it :)

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's made of.....

Exterior: 1000 Denier Nylon.
Interior: 600 Denier Nylon.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
It's made of.....

Exterior: 1000 Denier Nylon.
Interior: 600 Denier Nylon.
Saw that, but it doesn't describe the stitching, just the material the bag is constructed from.

btw, 'scabbard' would be another keyword if poking through saddle/tack.
'mount' or 'carry case' would likely work best for 4 wheelers, and 'sheath' could turn up any number of results.
'holster' can be hit or miss.

edit:
retrothought...
saw some wheelchair mounted pistol holsters and had a thought:
what if you made or could find something that with the rifle taken down would carry half in a mount/sheath/bracket that went from foot plate to arm rest on each side of the chair?

Just a random pop~up idea possibly worth mentioning

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will shoot them an email and ask.....If so,I am thinking my 25" upper should fit that 27.5" case perfectly....What do you think about the size in question ?

· Registered
2,534 Posts
:shrug: would have to fondle one for a few range trips.

I've had some in the past that met dimensional requirements, but as soon as things like mounted bipods or some oddball scope mount, or even packing extra **** to cut down on the number of trips from car to firing line they got real tight or deformed.
I've still got one that is of adiquate size to hold a full length AR/15 rifle, if its 'clean'. Add the stuff thats usually mounted and it ends up sticking out one end due to stretch.

The dimensions they give are external so right off the bat you lose at least 1/2" ~ 1" in every direction due to padding and general material thickness and cutting tolerances.
(manufacturers will always cut 1/4" short before they cut 1/8" long, and sewers will try to get as much material as they can to stitch through as opposed to trying to chase a little tiny strip for x feet in one pass)
Like that 27.5" external could plausibly become as little as 26" ~ 26 1/2" internally.
Yours will fit, but it could get pretty snug under certain circumstances.

That being said, in the configuration they show in the pix you should be OK.
Its just when 'extras' get in there too that space becomes a premium.

I would not get the rifle length instead 'just in case' unless you deliberately plan on regularly over packing and would have practical use for the excess 4 1/2" of length space.
Nothing looks worse than a condom that's too long on a winky thats too short or socks that aren't pulled on all the way.
Same applied to long gun soft cases.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very good food for thought...!! I appreciate the information Tifosi.......You have yourself a great day sir !

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got a response from the owner of Castle Rock.....He said it is double stitched and that a 25" upper like mine will fit the 27.5" case with 1" to spare at each end.....Must be they measure the 27.5" on the inside ?? Sounds like it will make a great case for what I am looking for.....

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was it the case that came with a RRA rifle or one you purchased separetly ?? Those cases that come with a rifle aren't made to be used much,more to protect the gun during shipping.....Pelican Storms are nice,but costly and heavy.....Roughly 20lbs for a Storm i1300......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.