New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why haven't all the dealers and residents teamed up and sued the state to get rid of this AWB? If everyone put in 50 bucks we would have more then enough money to fight the system. I should have the same rights as people in the other 46 free states have. Something needs to be done...The people of NY against NY...They can still have the city but there is no reason we cannot be free. At this point I would even care if we had to get some sort of permit like mass has and renew it every 6 years for $100 to be ban free. If you have the permit your ban free...if not then you follow the AWB. Think of the money the state could make off us.

· Registered
5,312 Posts

· Registered
8,342 Posts
It concerns me that you were even aware of a website called "spy and counter spy". Are you a secret agent or something?

· Registered
1,758 Posts
Pretty silly that the rest of the country recognized that the 10 year AWB experiment was a failure not worth continueing but NY continues to waste taxpayer money trying to force that bad idea to continue against the majority opinion.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
I hardly ever hear of a law passing and then getting repealed. It would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.
Especially the case for NYS. Once laws are passed in this State they are permanent. Proof is in the pudding - Tim Sullivan was one of the most corrupt criminal politicians to hold office in this State, yet the Sullivan Act (you can thank this act for NYS's unconstitutional handgun laws) remains in place.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Nobody will repeal a "Don't Kill Babies Act."

Nobody will repeal an "ASSAULT WEAPONS ban!"

· Registered
637 Posts
1. Talk to a lawyer who could make a strong case to put pressure on the state.

2. Once you have a strong case that has a real possibility of winning. Start a web page with the case details and lawyer contact info.

3. Add a donation section to raise money for the lawyer fees. Must go directly to the lawyer with details on how much money is raised.

4. If we the people feel this is gonna work we will spread the news to every FFL dealer and fellow law abiding gun owner to help raise funding for the cause. I'm sure if Bon lonsberry found out about it he would spread it all over the radio. Have the lawyer contact Bob Lonsberry.585-222-1180 every weekday between 9 and noon.

This could really work if the effort was put fourth.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
COBIS was appealed. Worked for one thing anyway.

The problem we have here is that it would probably have to go all the way to the SCOTUS, and since Heller vs. DC barely passed by one, the concept that the 2a guarantees access to assault weapons is going to be hard to sell.

Unless there's a legal precedent showing that, since the rest of the country has ignored it, we're under undue duress compared to the rest of the nation, I don't see it passing. And they will NEVER give it up at the state level. Schumer and Gillibrand never miss a chance to co-sponsor the next bill to try to take away our rights.

The easiest way to do this is by convincing voters to oust dems. And that's hard.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Anthony Cumia probably as well.

I wonder if we can really start this movement. There's got to be some pro-gun high-profile NYS lawyers on a list somewhere.

1. Talk to a lawyer who could make a strong case to put pressure on the state.

2. Once you have a strong case that has a real possibility of winning. Start a web page with the case details and lawyer contact info.

3. Add a donation section to raise money for the lawyer fees. Must go directly to the lawyer with details on how much money is raised.

4. If we the people feel this is gonna work we will spread the news to every FFL dealer and fellow law abiding gun owner to help raise funding for the cause. I'm sure if Bon lonsberry found out about it he would spread it all over the radio. Have the lawyer contact Bob Lonsberry.585-222-1180 every weekday between 9 and noon.

This could really work if the effort was put fourth.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
If this had a chance, I would personally put a good chunk of money behind it.

· Registered
223 Posts
Not to throw a wet blanket on you but repealling the AWB in NY is going to be next to impossible.

1. The Heller decision was a very narrow issue of denying licenses for handguns in ones home. The court did rule that the 2A is an individual right but they also said that government can ban firearms that are inherently dangerous, whatever the hell that means. So, this ambiguity puts AW's directly in the bullseye.

2. Money. If you can get a qualified lawyer to take the case you are looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars in a probable losing effort. I'm certain even the NRA wouldn't back a lawsuit because of the probability of defeat.

3. Demographics. Getting legislation to the floor of the Assembly or Senate to repeal would be next to impossible even in a Republican controlled Senate. It would be simply to hot a potato to handle and would lead to loses for the republicans. The state is leaning more and more to the democrat side when it comes to registered voters. Conservative/Republican voters are leaving the state in droves and those inclined toward the democrats are moving in in droves. Sooner or later we will lose any chance whatsoever to change or make policy on the state level.

65% of our legislators come from the other side of the Tappan Zee bridge(NYC and environs) and the majority of those are Democrats.

Someone mentioned the repeal of CoBIS. That was done because of the cost and lack of results and because the State Police weren't using it or entering data, so it became a money pit and was eliminated in the budget deals. The AW ban costs basically nothing so you can't argue it is a money waster. Whether it gets results in terms of crime control is of no concern to the anti gunners.

Again, sorry to throw cold water on you but I am a realist. A better cause to invest in would be a lawsuit to eliminate the "possession" license we now have. I think there would be a real chance to get that repealed. It would be expensive but a better probability of success and a more positive issue.

Ken Mathison
SCOPE Monroe Co.

· Registered
9,139 Posts
1. What's up with the missing 3 states?

2. You would rather have your guns registered and taxed than the current AWB? It's kind of a big FU to all the people that can't afford or don't want to spend $100 every 6 years the rest of there life.
Because you have money you should have more rights than other NYer's?

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1. What's up with the missing 3 states?

2. You would rather have your guns registered and taxed than the current AWB? It's kind of a big FU to all the people that can't afford or don't want to spend $100 every 6 years the rest of there life.
Because you have money you should have more rights than other NYer's?
The other missing states would be mass, ct, jersey, maryland etc who have their own crappy gun laws. Everyone else is free.

And to answer your 2nd question...if you cannot afford $100 every 6 years or so to be free of the awb then maybe you need another hobby and quit spending my paycheck. I in no way "have money" but saving 100 over a 6 year period is not hard. Also yes if you pay the money you can have more rights. Look at MASS for example. If you pay the money and get a class A LTC then you can have high cap mags.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.