New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably beating a dead horse here, but I tried the search engine and got different topics that didn't pertain what iI was looking for.

When Astorino wins the Governorship to NY:yay::yay::yay:, how can he repeal the Safe Act without the support of the legislative body full of liberals? I probably feel asleep in Gov't and Civics class on the authority/power of the state Governor. Please enlightened me.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Probably beating a dead horse here, but I tried the search engine and got different topics that didn't pertain what iI was looking for.

When Astorino wins the Governorship to NY:yay::yay::yay:, how can he repeal the Safe Act without the support of the legislative body full of liberals? I probably feel asleep in Gov't and Civics class on the authority/power of the state Governor. Please enlightened me.
Can't repeal it without a new leg. Plain and simple. Best we get is a court decision declaring it unconstitutional in part or in whole. Or we vote in 2A people and get a majority, then push for repeal. We could also rabble for a split from NYC+5 as well.. but that's a real long shot (unobtainium).

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
BY himself, the only thing he can do is not implement the system for background checks for ammo.

He can also instruct the NYSP Superintendent to not go after FFL's and private citizens for vagueness on what a detachable magazine is . If the Superintendent values his job, he will listen since it is an appointed position by the Governor.

He also has the power of Veto for further legislation against the 2A.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
The only way to get rid of the safe act is to make that dump NYC it's own state.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Could he send me to court to defend it for the state? I'm not a lawyer but I swear I'll try my best.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Can't repeal it without a new leg. Plain and simple. Best we get is a court decision declaring it unconstitutional in part or in whole. Or we vote in 2A people and get a majority, then push for repeal. We could also rabble for a split from NYC+5 as well.. but that's a real long shot (unobtainium).
As much as I hate the thought of another term with Andy at the helm the truth is that the prospects of him being defeated are very slim. However, the smaller local and state legislative races are another story. These gun grabbers can be defeated. Remember it was not the Dems that sealed our fate with SAFE but several turn coat Republicans who bent to Cuomo's demands. Skelos the leader and his fellow turn coat Republicans along with all the Dems possible need to be voted out. Andy held something over their heads and I'll bet the corruption investigations had a lot to do with their voting in favor of SAFE. SAFE passes in the middle of the night then the sudden halt to the investigations. We need to turn as many voters as possible against them. Sportsman, gun owners and NYS employee union members have a lot of potential votes and have all been stepped on by King Andy. These votes could potentially cost him many of his allies in the state legislature and send a message to Albany. That is the only hope for repeal, then it's all up to the courts.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
IMO, if astorino wins its going to come down to a game of chess. What I mean is the Liberal controlled legislature is going to need something eventually. When that happens it will be the governors duty to say 'OK, but I'll need to this and that amended in SAFE in return'. Chip it away into useless-ness I think is the most realistic strategy.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I was going to wait until after the election to start a thread like this. It all depends on who else wins election with Astorino as Governor.

Anyway, things he can do include:

Release the registration numbers to embarrass the legislature.

Instruct the NYS Police on enforcement policies (much like Cuomo is doing already).

Depending on who is elected (or re-elected) as AG, change strategy on defending the State in regards to lawsuits against the NY SAFE Act. This could be ideas like admitting that it violates the civil rights of NY'ers, etc.

Appoint Pro-2A judges and a Pro-2A head to the NYS Police, and whatever other positions he can fill!

Use the public position of Governor (or Lt. Governor Moss!) to raise awareness that the NY SAFE Act does nothing to protect law-abiding citizens from criminals (similar concept to embarrassing the legislature by releasing registration numbers).

I'm sure we can come up with other ideas as a group. What have you got?

FUAC!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
He also has the power of Veto for further legislation against the 2A.
59 days and counting until the election. GET THE VOTE OUT !!!

If FUAC is not thrown out of Albany.
I and others will have no other option but to throw ourselves out of NY.
If I, they want to be FREE

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Only real way is to set off an EMP wiping out all digital records and burn the hall of records.... just sayin.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Repealing the unSAFE Act would require new Legislation (as already stated). Unfortunately it is here to stay. The best outcome that I can foresee is that Astorino can avoid funding the BGC portion of the unSAFE and effectively remove it from the law.....DURING HIS TERM. Once another Governor takes office they can still fund the BGC and re-institute that BS portion of the law that is already on the books.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
IMO, if astorino wins its going to come down to a game of chess. What I mean is the Liberal controlled legislature is going to need something eventually. When that happens it will be the governors duty to say 'OK, but I'll need to this and that amended in SAFE in return'. Chip it away into useless-ness I think is the most realistic strategy.
That was exactly the strategy that Astorino outlined during a Q&A at the Palladin Center about a month ago.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I probably feel asleep in Gov't and Civics class on the authority/power of the state Governor. Please enlightened me.
Repealing a law with control of only 1 of 3 branches of Gubmint isn't going to happen.

That assumes Astorino wins, which is a damn huge assumption at this point.

How do you propose repealing a law if the Dems control the Sen., Assembly and Governor's seat?

Judicial remedy is all we've got.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
The ASSembly will never be controlled by Republicans. Never. So the law will never be repealed in the traditional sense. Can Astorino strong arm them into repealing? I guess, but this is what they've always wanted. They won't give it up. Here's what I see happening. The ban will be overturned in court but registration will be here to stay. The communists will than pass a law requiring ALL guns to be registered (like DC) and you will have to pay per gun. The fee will increase every year until it is fiscally impossible to keep your guns.

Also, I don't see us ever getting the right to mail order ammo back. Maybe the BGC system goes away because it will cost to much and not prevent any crime (like COBIS) but we will never again be able to buy cheap ammo in NY. This alone will end up destroying the 2A in this state. We'll get out rights back, but in order to exercise them you will need to be wealthy. The next generation will be brainwashed into thinking guns are evil and in order to get into shooting sports you will need to jump through hoops, be fingerprinted, pay taxes and fees and ammo will cost you DOUBLE for what it is available online and people will simply forgo purchasing a gun because it is "too much of a headache."

I also don't think we'll get standard capacity mags. Maybe, but probably not. They are no doubt in common use and criminals can get them without any problem but the court will say you can still exercise your rights with a 10 rounds mag. However, this brings up the argument well if 10 is okay, why not 7? 5? 1?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
The NYGOP royally ****ed us. SKELOS NEEDS TO BE FIRED. No matter how this plays out, gun ownership will never be the same in this state. We will end up losing some or all of our rights for good and I explained in my previous post. This is the beginning of the end for the 2A in NY unless courts overturn every part of the unsafe act. Otherwise, they will win.

I DESPISE this state and I honestly wish NYC would sink into the ocean.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Repealing a law with control of only 1 of 3 branches of Gubmint isn't going to happen.

That assumes Astorino wins, which is a damn huge assumption at this point.

How do you propose repealing a law if the Dems control the Sen., Assembly and Governor's seat?

Judicial remedy is all we've got.
They're going to lose it all. Think '94, I believe NY's about to get a wake up call.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
They're going to lose it all. Think '94, I believe NY's about to get a wake up call.
They'll never lose the Assembly. NYC controls it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts