New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,534 Posts
You pay seller, seller gives you a signed receipt that specs the handgun (bbl length, caliber, s#, pistol or revolver, manufacturer) and confirmation of sale.
Take receipt to clerk and pay whatever to have your permit amended.
Once that is done, take ticket from clerk, trade ticket to seller for handgun.

Ideally you and seller would be at the clerk's office, that way the clerk can get the info, the seller can get the ticket for his records and you both can get your permits amended all in one pop.

Or at least that is how it works in Jefferson county.
YMMV, not responsible for lost or stolen items, keeparms and feet inside the carriage at all times, etc.

· Registered
202 Posts
The process is specific to the county that you reside in. For example, in Wayne County we have an amendment form that first needs to be filled out with the seller's info and the pistol info. That form is then turned into the County Clerks office, where it's reviewed and the amendment is approved. Wait a week or two, and once your new permit card and a coupon are mailed to you, then you can pick up the pistol from the seller.

If you provide the county you reside in, I'm sure other members will chime in with specifics for your county.

· Registered
296 Posts
You pay seller, seller gives you a signed receipt that specs the handgun (bbl length, caliber, s#, pistol or revolver, manufacturer) and confirmation of sale.
Take receipt to clerk and pay whatever to have your permit amended.
Once that is done, take ticket from clerk, trade ticket to seller for handgun.

Ideally you and seller would be at the clerk's office, that way the clerk can get the info, the seller can get the ticket for his records and you both can get your permits amended all in one pop.

Or at least that is how it works in Jefferson county.
YMMV, not responsible for lost or stolen items, keeparms and feet inside the carriage at all times, etc.
Pretty much yes, however here in Onandaga Cty, I used the "bill of sale" that the Sherrif provides on thier website, and then the sale ticket had to be notarized. THEN you goto the Sherrif office, and they should be able to transfer, then you return a ticket to the original owner, so that he or she can get their lic. ammended. I had to do all this when my dad transfered a pistol to me. Check with your local Sherrif to find out, it might save you some hastle.

· Registered
390 Posts
In Schenectady County, if you were buying a pistol from a private party during your permit process, they also require a copy of the front and back of the sellers pistol permit. Not sure if this would be required when buying outside of the permit process. I am considering buying a private party pistol in the near future, so I guess I will find out.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm under the impression that all private party pistol sales have to be done at an FFL.

· Registered
138 Posts
I just did one 2 weeks ago in olean catt. county and it couldn't be any eaiser. Called the clerk to see what i needed and she said to get the sellers info and pistol ( there was 2) info. Wrote it down on regular paper and signed it. No notery needed and off to the county bldg. Turned in the info paid the 3 bucks got the coupon to give to the seller so he can get them removed from his permit. Went back to the seller gave him the coupon and collected my new guns. He was also from a different county and there was no problem there (allageny).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.