New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
not enough information....no comment
I agree. Despite what they want you to jump to "Double amputee in a Wheelchair" does NOT equate to "not a threat."

Plus, this is Yahoo news. Given just the news we have seen from them THIS WEEK, this is probably less than newsworthy.

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Holding my opinion until more info becomes available.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Try to stab an officer with ANYTHING. Count on something horrible happening to you. Now thats said, I agree that I can make no decision on this until more about what happened is know.

· Registered
2,452 Posts
I don't see a happy ending for this officer. You got a one armed, one legged guy in a wheelchair waving around a pen "inches" from the officer. What's he gonna do - go all Stephen Hawking on the officer? Couldn't the officer just back up a few steps?

· Registered
1,668 Posts
I don't see a happy ending for this officer. You got a one armed, one legged guy in a wheelchair waving around a pen "inches" from the officer. What's he gonna do - go all Stephen Hawking on the officer? Couldn't the officer just back up a few steps?
You can't back up if you're in a corner, and last I knew, a pen can pierce flesh.

The article said the guy was mentally ill, beligerant and the room was cramped/close-quarters. Like everyone else has said...really hard to pass judgement without more details.

· Registered
2,452 Posts
You can't back up if you're in a corner, and last I knew, a pen can pierce flesh.

The article said the guy was mentally ill, beligerant and the room was cramped/close-quarters. Like everyone else has said...really hard to pass judgement without more details.
Yeah - but come on... whatever happened to the continuum of force? Sure - a pen can cause a puncture wound - I get that, but there's pepper spray, taser, a whack on the head with an ASP baton. Psychiatric hospital staffers get injured all the time - but they're not shooting patients either.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
With the information so far I have to say the officer was wrong, he coulda kicked the wheelchair backwards, the guy had one arm and police are trained to restrain people with 4 functioning limbs who are standing up. Hopefully more information proves this to be more in the officers favor.

· The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Yeah - but come on... whatever happened to the continuum of force? Sure - a pen can cause a puncture wound - I get that, but there's pepper spray, taser, a whack on the head with an ASP baton. Psychiatric hospital staffers get injured all the time - but they're not shooting patients either.
Since when can psychiatric staffers carry firearms?

· Registered
2,452 Posts
Since when can psychiatric staffers carry firearms?
That's my point. They can't. Yet they're assaulted by patients on an everyday basis.

So it's OK for a defenseless mental hospital staffer to be assaulted, but not a police officer? That's where I'm having a big problem with this.

OK - so the police officer was cornered by the guy in a wheelchair. How'd he get cornered in the first place? His partner couldn't have pulled the wheelchair away?

I just don't see a good outcome for the officer who fired the shot when the grand jury and/or internal investigation is done.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
have we all forgotten about the trouble caused by all of those pesky one armed men? missing one arm and one leg would make things twice as bad right? :p
Reminds me of Reno 911. A note written to the officers on a napkin:

Officers, there are 2 armed men inside!..."Well I hope there are 2 armed men, a 1 armed man can't make a taco!"

· Registered
2,913 Posts
I am in a wheelchair and paralized from the waist down with no feeling.......If someone is going to shoot me,better hit me high because if you shoot me in the lower area,i'm gonna stick my finger in the hole and it's only gonna piss me off.....!! :cool:

· Registered
2,913 Posts
On a more serious note.....I fully expect to get what I deserve,if I screw up bad enough to draw fire from the police then so be it.....I am,and never will be the type to hide behind my disability under any circumstance..!

· Registered
171 Posts
Completely agree. Overuse of force by the police has become a very serious problem, evidenced by countless articles and youtube videos. There were certainly other options available to the shooting cop.

· Registered
6,329 Posts
Why is mental illness a free pass to act like an idiot? If somebody is mentally ill to the point they can't control themselves and act out then somebody better put them in the nut house where they belong and they aren't out causing problems. Pisses me off when the media makes a big deal about the guy being mentally ill, like he should be given a break or something.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.