New York Firearms Forum banner

Hot Pink Guns and the Media?

7K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  TheTeZ 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

New here, however feel that firearm ownership has been taking a beating by the media lately. I saw a hot pink gun like this online and had a thought. If the media, Youtube channels, FPSRussia, etc.. showed pictures of these hot pink guns, how important do you think passing gun bans would be to the public? How much ammunition would politicians have to use in their media circus demonizing firearms?

A hot pink gun is much more accepting then a scary black one.

Find the scary gun in this picture.

See less See more
#2 ·
IMO a pink gun is as dumb as it gets. Is a GUN, not a frikking toy or something should look cute or toy like.
A gun deserve respect, in the wrong (or dumb) hands can be deadly.
IMHO again, big part of the blame on gun are the trigger happy and stupid laws that justifies the killing of ahuman being just because you got "scare".

#3 ·
How does modifying the look of a rifle merely for asthetic pleasure indicate one has less respect for it as a weapon? Do folks that modify the look of their car instantly drive it more recklessly? Insinuating that features of a weapon likely make the user more irresponsible with said weapon is exactly what we are fighting isnt it?

#7 ·
My daughter want hot pink on all her firearm, so be it. My holster is pink, lost many family members to cancer. I've even done pink safety levers for members. Knowledge is key, color doesn't matter.

#20 ·
Other than making the firearm have an orange ring on the end of the barrel, i haven't heard anything about illegal "colors".

The idea that making a real firearm look like a fake is illegal i have no problem with, but if you want to tell me what color/camo pattern i can use then GTFO of my life.

#22 · (Edited)
This is an interesting law and other relevant parts quoted below. I can see the benefit of such a law especially when considering children, however it can be argued children should be safeguarded from handguns in the first place. I also suspect if a police officer has a gun pointed at them, whether black or hot pink, their reaction will be the same. A fair compromise in this situation is to follow the laws placed into effect years ago. Paint toy guns with a red barrel tip and real guns are left black tipped. The gun tip is what is ultimate visible. I would also like to know how many cases of police officers shooting young children with toy guns have ever occurred.

"The Legislature of Nassau County hereby finds that deceptively colored handguns pose a danger to law enforcement personnel and the general public. These real guns, when painted with nontraditional handgun colors, resemble toy guns, and can confuse police officers and the general public. Law enforcement officers who sometimes must make split second decisions on the use of force could perceive a deceptively colored real handgun to be a toy and be seriously injured or killed. A child may mistakenly attempt to play with a brightly colored real handgun and seriously injure themselves or others. As such, the legislature declares that the purpose of this local law is to safeguard the public from the unreasonable risk of death and injury that may result when real handguns are mistaken for toys by banning the distribution and possession in Nassau County of deceptively colored handguns"

"The term “deceptively colored handgun” shall include any handgun which has a substantial portion of its exterior surface colored any color other than black, grey, silver, steel, nickel or army green. A substantial portion of the exterior surface of a handgun shall be considered to be colored any color other than black, grey, silver, steel, nickel, or army green if such other color is used either alone or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern; provided, however, that a handgun shall not be deemed to be a deceptively colored handgun merely because its handle is composed of ivory, colored so as to appear to be composed of ivory, composed of wood, or colored so as to appear to be composed of wood."

Note that the above description makes sure to restrict use of camouflage colored guns. Typical camouflage does not fall into the color combination list. Clever clever.

"The term“substantial portion of the exterior surface of a handgun”shall mean: (1) at least twenty five percent of the entire exterior surface area of a handgun; or (2) the exterior surface of either the receiver or the slide of a handgun."

The last paragraph makes it clear. Painting your gun to look cool and perhaps a bit more innocent in the eyes of the public is restricted. Perhaps an effort of the anti-gun group attempting kill efforts of pro-gun groups seeking to improve the public's perceived image of gun ownership.

#23 ·
I think a colored firearm is fine regardless of color (excluding less than lethal colors). Its just a way to customize your personal property, weather it be, pink, a skull wrap, blue, an anodized metal, stickers all over the place. Its simply customization, it says "this gun is mine" Its really no different than putting a FUAC dust cover on your rifle, or punisher logos, or "zombie killer" phrases all over. Its simply customization. Whos to say pink isnt aloud, but adding words or skulls to your rifle is ok. Is it only ok to add FUAC, and Skulls, Zombie killer, and other add ons to the gun because they add to the "deadly" look? Think about it, and if your ok with one, but not the other... well you my friend should probably rethink. (not aimed at anyone in particular)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.