New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

New here, however feel that firearm ownership has been taking a beating by the media lately. I saw a hot pink gun like this online and had a thought. If the media, Youtube channels, FPSRussia, etc.. showed pictures of these hot pink guns, how important do you think passing gun bans would be to the public? How much ammunition would politicians have to use in their media circus demonizing firearms?

A hot pink gun is much more accepting then a scary black one.

Find the scary gun in this picture.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
IMO a pink gun is as dumb as it gets. Is a GUN, not a frikking toy or something should look cute or toy like.
A gun deserve respect, in the wrong (or dumb) hands can be deadly.
IMHO again, big part of the blame on gun are the trigger happy and stupid laws that justifies the killing of ahuman being just because you got "scare".

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
IMO a pink gun is as dumb as it gets. Is a GUN, not a frikking toy or something should look cute or toy like.
IMHO again, big part of the blame on gun are the trigger happy and stupid laws that justifies the killing of ahuman being just because you got "scare".
How does modifying the look of a rifle merely for asthetic pleasure indicate one has less respect for it as a weapon? Do folks that modify the look of their car instantly drive it more recklessly? Insinuating that features of a weapon likely make the user more irresponsible with said weapon is exactly what we are fighting isnt it?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The for the children crowd will just have more ammo, they will say you are promoting real guns to kids as toys.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
How does modifying the look of a rifle merely for asthetic pleasure indicate one has less respect for it as a weapon? Do folks that modify the look of their car instantly drive it more recklessly? Insinuating that features of a weapon likely make the user more irresponsible with said weapon is exactly what we are fighting isnt it?
that's my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The for the children crowd will just have more ammo, they will say you are promoting real guns to kids as toys.
That's an interesting and probably valid possible outcome. It would be interesting to see what a poll asking non gun owners what they believe is more threatening . The colorful or the straight black gun?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My daughter want hot pink on all her firearm, so be it. My holster is pink, lost many family members to cancer. I've even done pink safety levers for members. Knowledge is key, color doesn't matter.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
NYC has banned "non traditional" colored guns.

That should tell you the validity of dislike for them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's a little different. As long as it isn't Blaze Orange or Neon Yellow (less than lethal colors), then I'm all ok w/ color.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You make some good points. I'm pointing out that media frequently makes use of the scariest (and probably worst performing) firearms in all of their stories. This especially holds true when politicians are pushing agenda to introduce more restrictive gun laws. The media also picks crazy lunatics in militia fatigue to interview during pro-gun events in hopes of purposely swaying public opinion to the anti-gun viewpoint. The general public, which has little firearm experience, gets extremely frightened of these images. I was pointing out that perhaps changing the color of a gun may change perception, however as someone pointed out it may also have a reverse effect on parents of children. In this day in age, positive PR, clever marketing and savy sales skills are required to effectively communicate a message to the public. The hot pink gun, whether wrong or right, was just used as an example to bring attention to this.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Is this factual or simply a joke? Thanks
"(3) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a deceptively colored firearm, rifle, shotgun, or assault weapon or a deceptive coloring product except as authorized by paragraph five or six of this subdivision or for any person to attempt to possess a deceptively colored firearm, rifle, shotgun, or assault weapon or a deceptive coloring product except as authorized by paragraph six of this subdivision. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/ADC/10/1/10-131#sthash.F5Bt8Ty8.dpuf"

Now, this MAY have been overturned, can't seem to find a straight answer, but I remember a firearms dipping company releasing special "NYC Named Colors" to give NYC the middle finger because of this.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
They can make some amazing thing out of Lego's, I didn't know people were doing the same thing with Necco wafers!:eek:oh:
Robin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"(3) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a deceptively colored firearm, rifle, shotgun, or assault weapon or a deceptive coloring product except as authorized by paragraph five or six of this subdivision or for any person to attempt to possess a deceptively colored firearm, rifle, shotgun, or assault weapon or a deceptive coloring product except as authorized by paragraph six of this subdivision. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/ADC/10/1/10-131#sthash.F5Bt8Ty8.dpuf"

Now, this MAY have been overturned, can't seem to find a straight answer, but I remember a firearms dipping company releasing special "NYC Named Colors" to give NYC the middle finger because of this.
It's absolutely outrageous that such broad and ambiguous language could legally be added. Is this new?

My suspicion is that the intended wording is to target camouflage (without outright naming it), however it is so broad that a deceptive color is ultimately left up to the officer and court system. Does anyone have more information on this? Have there been colors defined as accepted? Have there been cases of colors being deemed deceptive?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts

Victory for firearms preemption in New York | The Volokh ConspiracyThe Volokh Conspiracy

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Other than making the firearm have an orange ring on the end of the barrel, i haven't heard anything about illegal "colors".

The idea that making a real firearm look like a fake is illegal i have no problem with, but if you want to tell me what color/camo pattern i can use then GTFO of my life.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts