New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me this isn't crazy I go to see a friend who is hospitalized and have to wait for visiting hours to start so I pull out the phone and decide to see if theirs anything interesting on here and get this

Attachments

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
No BS I got the same message at Vassar a few times when I was visiting family but I kept hitting refresh and it let me through each time.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Been to 3 on a "CONSTANT BASIS"..Sloan kettering in NYC will block it...montefiore in BX and CHOP in philly will not.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
I seem to remember someone else posted about this a few months ago. I think they just included anything with guns in their filter.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I work in a hospital. Our stress levels are through the roof, so they probably block anything about firearms so as not to give any of us hapless hopeless employees any bad ideas................LOL

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
My hospital does not block this sight but others have come up blocked. I just turn the wifi off. Cleveland Clinic blocks it too.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Set up your web browser to use a proxy (use Google to figure out how, it's not complicated), or surf through a web-based proxy such as Unblock blocked websites with this fast web-based proxy. Browsing through a proxy is a little slower than browsing directly, and you may find that some proxy's are blocked by ECMC. Just Google search "anonymous web proxy" - there are so many that you are bound to find one eventually that will work. If you have a smart phone that allows usb or bluetooth tethering there is always that option rather than using ECMC's wireless network.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Set up your web browser to use a proxy (use Google to figure out how, it's not complicated), or surf through a web-based proxy such as Unblock blocked websites with this fast web-based proxy. Browsing through a proxy is a little slower than browsing directly, and you may find that some proxy's are blocked by ECMC. Just Google search "anonymous web proxy" - there are so many that you are bound to find one eventually that will work. If you have a smart phone that allows usb or bluetooth tethering there is always that option rather than using ECMC's wireless network.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I had my knee replaced in March, spent time in two hospitals. One was the Putnam hospital center in Carmel NY and the other was Helen hayes hospital in Rockland County NY and anything Gun forum or any thing with a gun in it was blocked.

it wasn't until I returned home did I find out My iPhone could work as a mobile hot spot

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
A lot of hospitals i deliver to in NYC have this sight blocked on thier wifi as well as anything gun related. Even all the vendors like Cabelas are blocked. I mean, even anything with the word boobs is blocked too. So when i am at work i thought i would never be able to look at guns or boobs on my iPhone. Then i found Puffin browser. Its a proxy browser and now i can look at anything i want on any hospitals wifi. Any proxy browser will bypass the word filters on any wifi server but i have used Puffin for years with no problems. I use the free version so i am unable to watch some videos but the pay version supports all video types.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Turn off Wi-Fi, run on data package. Disaster averted.

I never use Wi-Fi, even at home where none of the extremist websites are blocked. And I still never go over my 2 GB monthly limit.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Turn off Wi-Fi, run on data package. Disaster averted.

I never use Wi-Fi, even at home where none of the extremist websites are blocked. And I still never go over my 2 GB monthly limit.
A lot of people on here myself included can go through 2g fast. I like YouTube way too much.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Interesting. I was in Saint Luke's Hospital in Newburgh for a few days a while back but I never tried the wi-fi, assuming they had any, or thought to check if the site was viewable. I was on the site but that was just on my own data plan.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If you have a laptop google "tor". Download the Tor browser. It's a standalone application that does not require an install, and is free. When you load that browser all of the traffic through the browser is fully encrypted and proxied up the ying yang, so you can surf the net to any site with total anonymity *. You will get a new IP address (you can confirm by going to whatismyip.com and you'll see it constantly is changing). As long as the hospital is not blocking Tor you should be good to go. Tons of people use it and it is, I think, the premier free proxy/safe way to surf the net.

I don't personally use it much because I don't need to; I do make some use of privateinternetaccess.com, which costs a few bucks a month and when you run it on your PC all traffic is routed through the country of your choice, with its IP address. This can come in use when, for example, visiting a site that says it won't let you watch the video in your country. It's also very fast, whereas tor is slow.

* "total anonymity" only extends so far; if you're planning on truly nefarious/illegal activities the government has studied cracking tor and I think may have had some success doing so

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
putnum hospital is the same way... so i browse without wifi... and i look at more gun pictures than normal just to say fu! ;)

·
Registered
637 Posts
My work network blocks this site as well. One of my co-workers was complaining about earthsky.org being blocked (it is an astronomy site). It got blocked because an article was posted about "Orion the Hunter" and the bow in that constellation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts