New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tina Dupuy: Having more guns doesn't make us any safer | recordonline.com

this is a link to an article that was published in the Times Herold Record on 5/29. I wrote a comment already, maybe some would like to as well.....For those who don't know the record, its the mid-hudson valleys horrible excuse for a news paper. They have always shown an anti 2nd amendment / anti hunting side.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
If Zimmerman didn't have a gun, 16-year-old Trayvon Martin would be alive today.
I wish I could make certainties out of hypotheticals!

Hmm...let me try:

If I'd have eaten a grilled cheese sandwich on 9/10/01 then 9/11 would have never happened.- Source: Ask the article writer. :)

· Registered
3,225 Posts
What a vacuous load of nonsense. Here's a lady who, as she herself implies, can't even win the argument on its merits while discussing the issue with her own family over Thanksgiving dinner. So, she relieves her frustration by venting her "feelings" in a one-sided newspaper editorial.

And, make no mistake, this piece is nothing more than an emotional jumble of misguided feelings. Just one example: Citing the KKK's desire for regulations to keep guns out of the hands of freed blacks actually undercuts the very point you are trying to make. Sorry, m'am, but you need to engage your brain as well as your heart if you want anyone to take you seriously.

Also, your ham-fisted writing style with the condescending, snarky tone ("A blessing passed down by our forefathers to obliterate game...") only underscores the weakness of your argument and your refusal genuinely to consider the opposite side's point of view. Anyone who needs to resort to such cheap theatrics to advance their agenda is doomed to failure from the start. Is any real discussion possible with people like you?

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a heads up if anyone decides to leave a comment on the article, It took a few hours for mine to post. I thought it didn't work and got annoyed and this morning I saw it was up.

· Registered
215 Posts
Instead of posting comments on a blog that she is unlikely to respond to, why dont you guys write directly to her and engage her in a conversation? Not trying to be condescending...just offering a tip.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Instead of posting comments on a blog that she is unlikely to respond to, why dont you guys write directly to her and engage her in a conversation? Not trying to be condescending...just offering a tip.
Because that conversation would probably go something like this:

NYF Member said:
Mam, I have facts and detailed reports disproving what you say.
Article Writer said:
LA LA LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU GUNS ARE ONLY FOR RACIST ******** LA LA LA LA LA

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wrote a letter to the editor also, but those can only be a max of 200 words. So I wrote a brief letter stating they should check the comments left online.

· Registered
1,106 Posts
Ironically enough I had this conversation with a friend of mines sister over a family dinner. My friend and I both in our early 20's, his sister used the same mind set about the militia and gross misinterpretation of what the constitution wording meant. I was quite surprised at her because I have always looked to her as a very Intelligent person. She had the same thought process remove guns and all the gun deaths will go away. I at that time did not exercise my right to bear arms, BUT I KNEW SHE WAS WRONG. My last statement to her was why would you deny another persons right to bear arms when the constitution gives each and everyone of us just that. Her answer to stop gun deaths. I replied then I think the freedom of speech should be done away with. She replied that is stupid then no one would be able to communicate when the government was doing the wrong thing. I replied well why would you not want to protect yourself or family if the government was doing the wrong thing. Her reply they won"t. I realized that at this point there was no more to be said to a person whose belief stood above any and all logic. My last statement was if you cant protect yourself when you need to then dont call upon anyone else to help when your in need. She was very angry and heel bent on her belief. Oh well not everyone gets it.

· Registered
3,441 Posts
Ironically enough I had this conversation with a friend of mines sister over a family dinner. My friend and I both in our early 20's, his sister used the same mind set about the militia and gross misinterpretation of what the constitution wording meant. I was quite surprised at her because I have always looked to her as a very Intelligent person. She had the same thought process remove guns and all the gun deaths will go away. I at that time did not exercise my right to bear arms, BUT I KNEW SHE WAS WRONG. My last statement to her was why would you deny another persons right to bear arms when the constitution gives each and everyone of us just that. Her answer to stop gun deaths. I replied then I think the freedom of speech should be done away with. She replied that is stupid then no one would be able to communicate when the government was doing the wrong thing. I replied well why would you not want to protect yourself or family if the government was doing the wrong thing. Her reply they won"t. I realized that at this point there was no more to be said to a person whose belief stood above any and all logic. My last statement was if you cant protect yourself when you need to then dont call upon anyone else to help when your in need. She was very angry and heel bent on her belief. Oh well not everyone gets it.
I hear you but some sheeple , I mean people, can actually be reformed, keep working on it, and I replied to her message and said, why did you write this? Someone needs to send an article in for gun rights and see if they print it. Probably not.

· Registered
710 Posts
I see the same lack of logic in a lot of people I communicate with (mostly women.) Their thought process is so opinionated that they dismiss logic and argue any way they can to try and support their opinion. Normally when I come across this type of situation, I address the lack of logic being used-I normally get the response "screw logic."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.