New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone made an AR from an 80% lower and made the trigger assembly from scratch would it be allowed to be fully auto or would it still be required to be semi-auto in ny?

I have not done this as to I don't have the machines but it was just a thought going through my mind

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
If someone made an AR from an 80% lower and made the trigger assembly from scratch would it be allowed to be fully auto or would it still be required to be semi-auto in ny?

I have not done this as to I don't have the machines but it was just a thought going through my mind
While it is legal to make your own firearms, they have to comply with state laws, even if you made one from scratch being that it is NOT preban (cuz it was made recently) it could not have any evil features, and in this state fully auto is illegal no matter what, doing what u described would just add a felony to the list of crimes (manufacturing AND possession of an automatic weapon) not sure what the EXACT charges would be but yea, short answer is definitely not, not in this state, not sure about in other states providing it gets ATF approval and all that good stuff.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured it wasn't legal to own/make. I know you can't transfer a home made gun but I figured the other laws still applied.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I figured it wasn't legal to own/make. I know you can't transfer a home made gun but I figured the other laws still applied.
Actually you can transfer a home made gun so long as it has a caliber stamped on it, along with a serial number or unique marking that can be used to identify it, and I'm sure there is some kind of safety regulation for that too. I don't know the details but I remember the subject of home made weapons being touched on in these forums.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I believe an individual can " manufacture " one firearm per year. Anything more and you need a license to manufacture. It would have to comply with all federal, state and local laws.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Actually you can transfer a home made gun so long as it has a caliber stamped on it, along with a serial number or unique marking that can be used to identify it, and I'm sure there is some kind of safety regulation for that too. I don't know the details but I remember the subject of home made weapons being touched on in these forums.
27 CFR § 478.92 covers the requirements for marking a weapon that you intend to transfer to another (no difference in marking between 07 manufacturers and a home builder)
There are no safety requirements.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I believe an individual can " manufacture " one firearm per year. Anything more and you need a license to manufacture. It would have to comply with all federal, state and local laws.
There is no specific number stated for a particular time period. The rule is you cannot sell more than the occasional homemade weapons with the intent to sell(cannot be a professional manufacturer without a license) . There is no specific cutoff that I know about. Its all to their discression.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I believe i read somewhere that you can sell only 1 semiautomatic homemade per year as long as your personal is stamped on the reciever.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
wow , good to know. ive been wanting to build a take-down .22 for a while using very light materials for camping (single shot bolt)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts