New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allstate just dropped my home owner's insurance. They claim it's because I have a small section of rotted fascia near my chimney. Anyone ever hear about something like this? I'm puzzled because A: what does a minor cosmetic issue have to do with my insurance, and B: I can list worse cosmetic issues with my house and at least two things on my property that could actually pose a danger to someone who wants to be stupid. None of the danger stuff was a concern to them. It's also a little weird because this section of the fascia has looked the same way since we bought the house 5 years ago, and we've had Allstate for insurance from the start. The inspector mentioned the rotted section, and I'm assuming that's what he's talking about considering a photo of the issue they're concerned with was never provided. To make it all even more fun, I received notification my insurance was dropped from the bank. Allstate told me that the inspector noticed an issue with the house and that they "may" change my policy because of it, but they never told me that they were dropping my coverage.

So does anyone have any recommendations for home owner's insurance? Apparently Allstate doesn't want my money.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I can't say what Allstate's real reason is for dropping you, but I can say it is quite serious if you have a mortgage. If you read through your mortgage doc's you'll likely find a clause that says you are required to maintain a fully paid homeowner's insurance policy or they reserve the right to call your mortgage. The homeowner's insurance (fire protection) protects the mortgagors collateral just as much as it protects your interest in your home. You need to rectify this situation asap.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't say what Allstate's real reason is for dropping you, but I can say it is quite serious if you have a mortgage. If you read through your mortgage doc's you'll likely find a clause that says you are required to maintain a fully paid homeowner's insurance policy or they reserve the right to call your mortgage. The homeowner's insurance (fire protection) protects the mortgagors collateral just as much as it protects your interest in your home. You need to rectify this situation asap.
It looks like I'm covered until 10/17. Not a ton of time, but should be enough to line up new insurance.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
my gf works for an allstate office, I can ask her to look into it for you if you want.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
My father had his Allstate policy cancelled when an adjuster noted that the railing on his front porch was missing. He got no notice, no call, no nothing. Just a cancellation letter in the mail. It just happened to be that an inspector took pics the day they had their new sectional delivered and Dad had taken down a portion of the front railing to get the couch in the front door. It was missing for less than 72 hours. Allstate blows. They suck for auto insurance too. You'll get used garbage for parts on cars that are less than a year old and have low mileage. Nows your chance to get someone else.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Allstate has some the highest premiums out there, there are plenty of other carriers who can write you a policy for less than they did.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I had Allstate for many years until I had a water pipe break at my place in LG and they didn't cover it. Cost me $30K. Now I've got Chubb and sleep better at night. I just did nearly $20K damage to my boat and had a check before the boat was fixed. Some things in life are worth paying extra for... State Farm, Travelers and Farmers are good companies too. Not sure if Farmers writes in NY though.

BTW, I believe NY HO insurance is on a 3 year renewal cycle. They can cancel a new policy before 60 days for no reason. After that, they can only cancel on the third, sixth, ninth, etc. policy renewal. There may be an exception "for cause" though. Talk to your agent if you want to keep them.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Gotta agree with CG here. I've had State Farm for over 30 years. I'm at a point in time that they call me 'uncancellable'. As long as I pay my premiums they will NEVER cancel my policy. Great company. They've paid my claims and have always been available for assistance whenever needed.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
IMO Allstate sucks. I had their auto insurance on a truck I used to have for about 5 years. I was rear ended by some lady not paying attention while I was stopped waiting for traffic to clear. Even with statements from the Chenango Co Sheriff saying I was not in fault they canceled me. I never had so much as a traffic violation while I was with them. I've had GEICO for the last 20 years or so, got rear ended in Binghamton and they didn't even care. I know GEICO isn't the best but they're better than Allstate in my book.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
IMO Allstate sucks. I had their auto insurance on a truck I used to have for about 5 years. I was rear ended by some lady not paying attention while I was stopped waiting for traffic to clear. Even with statements from the Chenango Co Sheriff saying I was not in fault they canceled me. I never had so much as a traffic violation while I was with them. I've had GEICO for the last 20 years or so, got rear ended in Binghamton and they didn't even care. I know GEICO isn't the best but they're better than Allstate in my book.
GEICO tried to tell me I was commiting fraud and had somehow taken a car with a non working engine and ran it over a curb in the middle of a snowstorm 25 miles from my house. Took 3 months a lot of yelling and screaming and two of their people threatening me with the law, to get my car "fixed". Then came the huge rate hike immediately after they did pay out. Not sure if I would say they are much better.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My father had his Allstate policy cancelled when an adjuster noted that the railing on his front porch was missing. He got no notice, no call, no nothing. Just a cancellation letter in the mail.
That's part of what baffles me. My deck isn't very high, but we recently rebuilt it and haven't put a railing on it yet. I really figured that's what they would give me grief about, but they chose this pointless issue that has nothing to do with liability instead. I don't get it.

Hopefully I end up saving money out of this ordeal.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Have an independent agent shop and insure you review the packages. Don't just get basic. I ended up with premium Plus with NYCM. I just haven't listed all my guns and probably won't.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My mom and dads got canceled bc the tractor wasn't parked square with the barn.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Give the people at Landon Agency a call. They're based in Avon, but have an office on Linden Ave as well. We went through them and changed up all of our insurances, and now pay less for everything that we have than we did for just our two cars. Our agent is Christian Ritzenthaler.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts