New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this in my internet adventures:

12ga Improvised Buckshot vs Clay Block - YouTube

That actually looks devastating, any re-loaders out there, you might wanna consider making this your new HD round, it's very cheap and looks like it might be slightly more effective then 00 buck, I could be wrong, but it just seems that way to me.

· Registered
1,841 Posts
It's a case of sectional density and tumbling. For an even more effective round, using cast 30 caliber boolits would give you even higher sectional density. The problem is, since they're tumbling right out of the barrel, they're going to be even less accurate than would be the buckshot.

And 518, the cheapest way I've come up with to get buckshot, there's a mold by a company called "Do-All" that works alright, and Lee has a 2-cavity .31" ball mold, but just recently they came up with a six-cavity mold that makes stacks of three pellets each, for a total of 18 pellets. As an improvised round, I don't think most commercially-available slingshot ammo would do well, since what I've seen has been steel or plastic, which is lighter than lead.

· Registered
573 Posts
LMAO, if you look in the background during the slow motion replay, it cut/knocked down a small tree. Not a bad idea overall, but I'd want to check the weight of the .22 vrs the weight of the standard birdshot load before I played with it.

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Both of those are impressive!

· Registered
1,758 Posts
i like taking out the bird shot (lead) and melting it down into 9mm balls then placing it back in same way. i can get 100rds for $20 and some time.

wax slugs are amazing too if you dont have anyway to melt and form the lead
Next time you want to do this PLEASE don't melt the expensive shot. I would happily swap you lead ignots for shot of the same weight. In fact, I'll throw in some extra because lead shot is more expensive than pure lead.

· Registered
537 Posts
Dimes work too. While this is not really a strategy for an accurate load, it'll get the job done for home defense if you can't source lead.

The sad part of these times is folks that want to load bird shot on the cheap are feeling the pinch. But, that may wake up more casual clay shooters to the fact something is up and they need to get involved.

· Registered
1,758 Posts
can you put pretty much anything in your hand loads and not hurt the barrel?
Only if it is smaller than the bore and softer than the steel used to make the barrel.

· Registered
2,778 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.