New York Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Actually, I think a small 9mm Carbine would be a great home defense option. Loaded with hollow points of course.
Yep. At the muzzle fired from a 16 inch barrel, a 124 gr 9mm is going the same velocity as a 125 gr .357 Magnum with a 6 inch barrel. At 100 yards, it slows back down to a regular 9mm velocity fired from a 4 inch barrel.

No excessive noise, no flash, minimal recoil, more capacity, more accurate, headshots possible in the off chance you have a hostage type situation, and easy reloading.

I see no negatives. I however see many on a shotgun.

There is a reason police swat teams and military spec ops teams have used and still use pistol caliber carbines for close quarters and not shotguns except for the door breacher.

You can't be surgical with a shotgun.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I actually keep noise canceling muffs bedside right next to whatever I'm using for HD at the time. This is something not a lot of people ever consider. A shotgun or rifle can be devastating to your hearing indoors. With the muffs you not only have protection of your hearing but the advantage of having superior hearing (better than your natural hearing) in an HD situation. I would loath having to shoot something like my tokarev indoors less some hearing protection. That thing is so loud it's a head turner at the outdoor range.

One other thing to consider is the number of rounds fired affects how much ringing you will have. A shot or two might not be bad at all. But a full magazine from say an AK is probably bloody ears. I have actually shot a 44 mag short barrel indoors (one shot) and I was amazed that it wasn't that bad at all. Didn't even have ringing ears.
Just curious, about yours. Make, model, and NRR if you wouldn't mind letting us know?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I actually keep noise canceling muffs bedside right next to whatever I'm using for HD at the time. This is something not a lot of people ever consider. A shotgun or rifle can be devastating to your hearing indoors. With the muffs you not only have protection of your hearing but the advantage of having superior hearing (better than your natural hearing) in an HD situation.
Yeah, this is something I'm always bringing up in any discussion of 'home defense' with a firearm. No matter how much training a person has optimal circumstances, a lot of that is going to go right out the window as son as you're deafened by firing unprotected in an enclosed space (or blinded by a muzzle flash). I also keep a pair of electronic muffs (albeit cheap ones) near my choice of defensive firearm. Whether one might actually have the chance to use them or not.. who knows; depends entirely on the situation at hand, but it makes sense to me to at least potentially have the option. Sound and muzzle flash are both things I take into account in choosing primary a self defense firearm for the home.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Just curious, about yours. Make, model, and NRR if you wouldn't mind letting us know?
The typical Impact muffs that everyone and their mother has.

Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 22 dB) OD Green

Yeah, this is something I'm always bringing up in any discussion of 'home defense' with a firearm. No matter how much training a person has optimal circumstances, a lot of that is going to go right out the window as son as you're deafened by firing unprotected in an enclosed space (or blinded by a muzzle flash). I also keep a pair of electronic muffs (albeit cheap ones) near my choice of defensive firearm. Whether one might actually have the chance to use them or not.. who knows; depends entirely on the situation at hand, but it makes sense to me to at least potentially have the option. Sound and muzzle flash are both things I take into account in choosing primary a self defense firearm for the home.
Ha. I forgot to bring up the whole point about actually being able to use the muffs. You may or may not have time to use them depending on how hot the situation is. You may be able to have time to put them on and grab your gun or you may only have time to grab your gun. And of course there is the unfortunate scenario where you don't have time for either but like you said it's nice to have the option. But we should all rest easy knowing that the chances of ever having to use either is slim.

·
Registered
42 Posts
keep in mind the military uses a 9 man entry and clearing team to clear rooms , the police use at least 5 men and they are trained pro's . you on your own with a long arm exploring the house is likely the worst idea to go checking out a noise or looking for an intruder with ..

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Fixed it for you. Kind of hard reading black text on a black background.

As pointed out many times by trainers the shotgun comes with lots of bad myths and poor tactics .

Yes, every American who has ever watched an action movie knows the sound of a shotgun slide being racked. but are you going to bet your life the drug addict who has come into your home with a pistol who is planning on doing you , your wife or kids harm is going to hear the scary sound while high and pay attention ? they don't even realize they have been shot most of the time . so what chance does a noise have .

The other problem is you have to be close enough to your threat for them to hear you.

You are basically walking into a danger zone with an unloaded weapon. The usual response to this is, “I’m real quick with racking the slide. It won’t matter'

this is more mental masturbation because they lack realistic training.

In all honesty, you will not rack the slide quick enough. odds are under stress you will short pump it causing a jam . You will only rise to the level of training you have mastered.

I have never seen any training methods where you practice sneaking up on a criminal with an unloaded gun.

or the person says they will have the shotgun loaded, but will rack it again when they get close.

I can’t even begin to know why any person in their right mind would take a live shell out of the chamber of a weapon, giving them one fewer round to protect his or her life in order to make a scary noise.

Scary noises are not a good tactic for saving your life, just like a rape whistle will never replace a gun. Arrive to the fight ready to fight, not with a scary noise making device.

you also need to properly point that shotgun in order to not miss . a shotgun in close quarters is similar to shooting a rile as far as hitting something .

at close range a spread on a shotgun ranges from the width of a pack of cigarettes to the width of a tennis ball . the chances of a miss are pretty good while shaking and you still need to get that nice long gun at least up to eye level to keep from missing even at close range which is not easy to do in close quarters .

the biggest problem with long arms is if you are alone and capture the bad guy , good luck trying to keep that rifle or shotgun trained on the perp while dialing a phone , especially a cell phone .

if anything injures your arm you can't rack a shot gun either or use a rifle . needing two hands to use something can be a real problem , especially at such close range ..

they are also loud enough indoors to cause permanent hearing loss .

there are just so many reasons why trying to use any sort of long arm is a bad choice for urban home defense as your only weapon .

as ayoob says think of a shotgun as your artillary , it is powerful but immobile . your handgun is the infantry​

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Stevens 320 12 gauge shotgun for home defense, it is a cheap shotgun yes, but I have fired well over 100 shells with it and it has never jammed.

However it is personal preference on what you would want for home defense. And how much training with that firearm you have that will make it the proper home protection for you in your home. I also have two dogs that bark at anything that comes near the house!

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
One other thing to consider is the number of rounds fired affects how much ringing you will have. A shot or two might not be bad at all. But a full magazine from say an AK is probably bloody ears. I have actually shot a 44 mag short barrel indoors (one shot) and I was amazed that it wasn't that bad at all. Didn't even have ringing ears.
Are you saying you shot a .44 mag (short barrel) inside without hearing protection and your ears did not even ring?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If someone is gonna rob your house they are gonna do it during the day , when no one is home. If they break in at night ,they know your home and have no regards for your life. Shotgun or rifle both will get the job done, in westchester a shotgun may be a bether choice. Keep it loaded racking isn't gonna stop anyone a 1 Oz slug will and don't shoot it in a direction that it could hit an unintended target. If you don't have a semi auto rifle you should get one anyway for othe reasons. So I'd say get both, a mossberg 500 and an sks wouldn't break the bank.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I have a few handguns so already covered on that front. Would like to add a long-gun for home defense. Considering the two below.

- Remington Model 870 Express Tactical Magpul Shotgun (12 or 20 guage)

- Ruger Mini 30

I really like the Rock River Armory LAR47 and the Colt LE 6920 Carbine but unfortunately not able to get shipped to NY thanks to our great Governor Cummo.

Appreciate any feedback here on the 870 or mini-30 or any other solid suggestions for a good home defense long-gun. Thx DJ
get a shotgun.

i maybe able to get you a colt 6920.......pm or call me

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Are you saying you shot a .44 mag (short barrel) inside without hearing protection and your ears did not even ring?
Yes I know. It's surprising but true. I guess it has to do with the size of the room, how much stuff is there to absorb some of the sound, the materials everything is made of etc etc. I would imagine shooting it inside of a small closet would be much different XD

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes I know. It's surprising but true. I guess it has to do with the size of the room, how much stuff is there to absorb some of the sound, the materials everything is made of etc etc. I would imagine shooting it inside of a small closet would be much different XD
Ive been at a covered outdoor range where i was carrying a couple bags in from the car, they were doing a target change and I got a call on my way back in.
When i went back in I mistakenly forgot to put my hearing protection on,

Guy in the lane next (i was about 5 feet behind him) fired off a .357 with a 4 inch barrel. I was honestly scared for a couple mins that my left ear drum was damaged. I had to go outside as I instantly felt nauseous as well.

I now keep my ear protection on the dash and put it on when getting out of the car. Also now keep my electronic muffs in my nightstand.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Guy in the lane next (i was about 5 feet behind him) fired off a .357 with a 4 inch barrel. I was honestly scared for a couple mins that my left ear drum was damaged. I had to go outside as I instantly felt nauseous as well.
That's particularly strange considering you were behind him. Being to the sides of the muzzle is usually where it's loudest. It's highly likely it's the absolute loudest when you are in front of it. I'm hoping to never have to test that theory though. For various reasons I've shot/heard quite a few firearms with no hearing protection (no never in self defense). I find that the high pitched rounds tend to be the most irritating like 22 lr, 9mm, 762x25, 357, 223 etc. The slow low pressure rounds like 44, 45, 12g etc seem to be "less bad". And again the surroundings make a huge difference. Outside is way different that inside and the positive space indoors makes even more of a difference. Outside in very cold dense weather makes for very interesting acoustics. Bottom line don't shoot without hearing protection if possible!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I haven't tried them but there are some $12 ear plugs on amazon well reviewed that claim to cut about 20 or more decibels yet not affect regular hearing. Basically like electronic ear muffs without the electronic part. I agree being indoors with a shotgun going off would be horrendous. I refuse to be around any loud noises without plugs, though realistically in an HD situation it wouldn't be high on the priority list even though being near a shotgun indoors even once could cause permanent ear damage. At the range with the covered housing I have taken to using plugs AND electronic muffs to really keep noise levels as low as possible. Also die hard religious about ear plugs when using any power tools now, and I generally use them even with the lawn mower. Outside of traumatic noises cumulative damage from loud sounds adds up over time. I already have occasional ringing in one ear (not even 40 yet) and don't want to be deaf in a few decades. Currently my hearing is overall excellent though and I plan on keeping it that way.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Having a hearing protection plan is a very good idea. Adding to the hearing loss is tinnitus which is not gradual. Tinnitus is instant and permanent. I can tell you loud tinnitus where you hear it above all other sound can be your own private hell for awhile until you get use to it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
That's particularly strange considering you were behind him. Being to the sides of the muzzle is usually where it's loudest. It's highly likely it's the absolute loudest when you are in front of it. I'm hoping to never have to test that theory though. For various reasons I've shot/heard quite a few firearms with no hearing protection (no never in self defense). I find that the high pitched rounds tend to be the most irritating like 22 lr, 9mm, 762x25, 357, 223 etc. The slow low pressure rounds like 44, 45, 12g etc seem to be "less bad". And again the surroundings make a huge difference. Outside is way different that inside and the positive space indoors makes even more of a difference. Outside in very cold dense weather makes for very interesting acoustics. Bottom line don't shoot without hearing protection if possible!
I think it had to do with the downward slanted roof the muzzle was behind.
Same reason I dont like sitting next to guys at the rifle range shooting ar's with a muzzle break, I feel the sideways blast is particular strong

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I actually prefer handguns for hd (in my current home with tighter hallways). If i had a larger house id consider a carbine, and ideally 556 (and no close neighbors).
Lets Split the Difference...
The Smith&Wesson Governor 6 shot 410 revolver!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Lets just say that if you break into my house, theyll need a shop vac to remove all of you from the scene. :)
A stick, a spoon and a sponge might help.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts