New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For your everyday home defense pistol how long should you keep the same mag loaded before unloading it and swaping it out for a new one?

·
Registered
518 Posts
The truth is springs lose tension by compressing and decompressing. I only unload my mags to inspect my carry ammo or to empty and load with cpratice ammo. To answer your question,never
i have 24 year old Glock 17 mags that have been loaded for 24 years and they are combat reliable. The same goes for 20 year old genIII S&W mags.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Unlimited amount of time.

Spring physics works as Cool Beans said.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Both coolbeans and Darth are correct.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
The difference between my carry mags and my range mags are night and day. My range mags are loose from lots of use. My carry mags that I almost never unload are still tight.

It's been over 4 years that I had them loaded. I just recently shot all my carry ammo last summer after getting caught in a rainstorm on a boat in Fl and getting drenched. Figured it was time to change that ammo just in case.

Loading the carry mags compared to my range mags, one can tell the difference.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I leave mine loaded all the time.Only thing i watch for is the bullet getting seated in the case deaper.This could happen if you chamber and unchamber the same round alot.Doesnt happen to often with a good crimped case but i have read and seen it happen.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
There is a guy on armslist always wants to buy ammo & mags. Several friends of mine, myself included would receive emails from this person as he would state that he would buy the ammo or mags at a much lower price than we posted because " your ammo & mags are most like expired and not worth your asking price". LOL
wonder if he'll post on here and disagree with this thread saying your mags are worthless.

I have mags that are almost 80 years old and function great. The only issue I have with magazines, if they are empty, they are worthless & useless. Fill them up & keep them filled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts