New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I'm a resident in Saratoga county, pistol permit holder. Good friend of mine, his father isn't terribly long for this world. My friend, hasn't started getting his permit paperwork together (never been a big deal for him, he's more of a muzzle loader / long gun kinda guy).

He's got a lot going on, so getting his permit taken care of isn't going to really happen (pistol safety class and all). He asked me since I have my permit, should something happen, I hang on to his fathers the pistol for him.

So how do we work this? I want to help him out, my own family, we lost my grandfathers (merchant marine during ww2) M1 Garand, a 1911, and a pearl handled 32 or a 38 to the local police office after he died and my grandmother moved up here with the weapons in a random box on a moving truck. I don't want him to have to loose it to the sherrif/police office. After everything settles, he can get his permit taken care of and have it.

Suggestions? Thoughts, experiences on the matter? Is this already a sticky?

Thanks!

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Will your county let you have a pistol on 2 permits? If so then do that. If not, like mine (except for immediate family) then I am not sure.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, further bit of info: His father is a permit holder, with the pistol on his license. So I'm pretty sure the sheriff's show up to hang onto it.

Darthgamer138: I don't know. I'll have to call the sheriff.

· Registered
869 Posts
I think I've read somewhere that if someone passes away the executor of the estate is able to transfer the pistol to a permit h
older within 7 days....

But best bet is to contact the permit office and ask what your options are

· Registered
2,913 Posts
I am pretty sure they can be transferred to you now from his permit,then at a later date they can be transferred back to your friend when he is squared away....Always best to call the issuing office though....

· Registered
364 Posts
Have him explain the situation to his father and put the pistol in his will to you. When he passes you will be the legal owner of the pistol and add it to your permit.
I wouldn't have him change his will at this point. I would call the SO, ask if they will allow the gun on 2 permits (assuming your friends father has his in Saratoga Co as well) and if not just have him provide you with a bill of sale, and treat it as if you bought it from him. The when the time comes you just do the exact opposite and "sell it back"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.