New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go to a local gun show and see a Mosin that I want, fill out the paper work like always, dealer calls the feds, I come back a few minutes latter to pick up the rifle and pay for it. The dealer says I have a hold on any purchases. He has no explination why other than it happens from time to time and I have to wait for 5 days to reapply and try again. Not sure what this means and if I should contact someone to get something straighened out. I feel violated.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Common last name, recent change in citizenship, things like that.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
So I go to a local gun show and see a Mosin that I want, fill out the paper work like always, dealer calls the feds, I come back a few minutes latter to pick up the rifle and pay for it. The dealer says I have a hold on any purchases. He has no explination why other than it happens from time to time and I have to wait for 5 days to reapply and try again. Not sure what this means and if I should contact someone to get something straighened out. I feel violated.
Usually when that happens is because you have a common last name like Smith. Did you use your social security number on the 4473? That helps big time.

James

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Uncommon last name and no changes for years. I did submit my ss# but he said they didnt ask for it.
Two weeks ago I purchased a rifle in Ny, no problem, Last week I purchase a rifle in Pa. no problem, this week I am unable to purchase in Ny. Any idea who I can contact to get some answers.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Sometimes it happens, not a real big deal.

I would be concerned though if in a few days they gave you a no go for the purchase.

I know there was a story on one forum I go to that the guy got a hold almost every single time. Turns out he had the same name as some rapist or serial killer that was never caught, probably messed him up each time.

· Registered
273 Posts
Uncommon last name and no changes for years. I did submit my ss# but he said they didnt ask for it.
Two weeks ago I purchased a rifle in Ny, no problem, Last week I purchase a rifle in Pa. no problem, this week I am unable to purchase in Ny. Any idea who I can contact to get some answers.
Well that's a little fishy, because NICS will always ask for the SSN if available....

· Registered
5,426 Posts
I got a hold once, it was for 5 minutes or so and I think it was because it was my 4th firearm within 30 minutes being bought from gunshops all over NY (first Davenport, then Binghamton, then Albany, then Oneonta) they probably were wondering how fast I was freakin' driving around to get these until they realized there was a gun show taking place lol

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Well that's a little fishy, because NICS will always ask for the SSN if available....
I was told by my FFL as well they never ask. I always provide it though.

· Registered
708 Posts
I just recently went through a similar experience. It had been many years since I bought a gun through a dealer but this one I had gotten from GunBroker and needed the FFL transfer. Gun arrives and I go to do the transfer. Get to the part on the form where is says SS# (optional), ask the dealer about it and he says "If you've never had any problems with NICS before you probably won't need it". I haven't, so I left it blank.

I stood there as he called it in and they did ask for the SS#, I heard him say "did not provide". He was put on hold for a couple of minutes before he hung up and said "You've been delayed." What??????????? "Gotta wait 3 full business days and, since this is Thursday the clock starts tomorrow and the weekend does not count. So you can't pick it up until next Wednesday. If they don't call back and say 'Denied' then I can give it to you next Wednesday."

BTW, the FBI does not give the dealer a reason for the delay or denial so don't bother asking why. Nor is there a number to call where they will give it to you. There is an appeals process for denial, of course, at which point they do have to give you a reason.

The following Wednesday I picked up the gun. He had never heard back from the FBI, which is common, he said. I walked out reminding myself one more time why it is better to avoid involving the government in your affairs if at all possible.

· Registered
3,225 Posts
I walked out reminding myself one more time why it is better to avoid involving the government in your affairs if at all possible.
And to think there are pols calling for even more "common sense" gun laws. :bang:

· Registered
273 Posts
I was told by my FFL as well they never ask. I always provide it though.
Well, I don't know why he told you that but the NICS examiners always ask for a transferees SSN if provided.

Also to the OP, what do you mean by "reapplying" to purchase the gun next weekend? If you received a "delay" NICS has three business days to provide the dealer with a "proceed" or "denied" response if after the allotted time period is up and there is no further information from NICS, the dealer may transfer the firearm. Your transaction is still pending. You should not have to fill out another 4473. Although if you get a deny then there are other problems.

· Registered
862 Posts
Have a friend come in to the LGS to pick up an ordered shotgun. Fairly unique name, got a flat denial. Strange, since this was a regular customer. Had to file an appeal with Battys, lo and behold he has a similar name (different MI) and age as a fellow in the county with a herd of DWIs and now a fresh restraining order. He provided all his requested info including a clean bill of health from the SD here, and the different DOB, SSN and MI, all kinds of documents. They told him it will take 6-12 months to clear it up. In the meantime he has a $1000 shotgun all paid for in the safe at the shop. Always use the SSN on the form, and if this gets cleared up, get yourself the personal ID number . I think everyone should do this, it isn't hard and it sure does make life easier.

· Registered
1,868 Posts
1) As others have said, NICS ALWAYS asks for SSN.
2) There's no "reapply" in 5 days. If they don't call the dealer to proceed or deny you (in which case he should call you), you are free to pick up the gun after 5 days with no further paperwork other than to sign the 4473 paperwork that you've already signed.

Something doesn't compute here... either you are really off base on the process or something is fishy.

By the way, it's not a "weapon".

· Registered
90 Posts
I got a hold once, it was for 5 minutes or so and I think it was because it was my 4th firearm within 30 minutes being bought from gunshops all over NY (first Davenport, then Binghamton, then Albany, then Oneonta) they probably were wondering how fast I was freakin' driving around to get these until they realized there was a gun show taking place lol
My days at O-State do I remmber well I88, Oh how I miss those days...

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2) There's no "reapply" in 5 days. If they don't call the dealer to proceed or deny you (in which case he should call you), you are free to pick up the gun after 5 days with no further paperwork other than to sign the 4473 paperwork that you've already signed.

Something doesn't compute here... either you are really off base on the process or something is fishy.

I dont know the process im just relaying what happened and what I was told.
If a Rifle isnt a weapon than what is it. Check Websters if you need help.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts

Don't agree with the last line. You are trying to state that it is a bad name to call it because if the antis, but that is what it is. If I have a NASCAR race car in my driveway and never race it, it is still a racecar. A broadsword is still a weapon even if never used as such. A rifle is still a weapon even if never used as one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.