New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Feral Swine - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

below is the cliff notes directly from dec site (current)

What You Can Do

As stated above, DEC's goal is to eradicate feral swine from the state's landscape. In New York, people with a small game license may shoot and keep feral swine at any time and in any number. All other hunting laws and firearms regulations are still in effect when shooting feral swine. If you are in an area that prohibits the use of rifles during big game seasons, you cannot use a rifle to shoot feral swine during any open deer season (including archery seasons). Please remember that it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 500 feet of a school, playground, church, dwelling, farm building, or occupied structure. You need to obtain permission of the landowner to enter any lands you do not own

===============

so where can i find some hogs?
can i hunt at night? (best time for em)
i know i cant take small game with xbow, but can they be used on pig while hunting under small game license. if not xbow then rifles or shotgun?
why is pig small game?

anyone know of any hunters or farmers who need help with them within 1.5 hours of utica? (id split meat)

never seen any in Salisbury or oriskany

·
Registered
868 Posts
I thought i remember reading or hearing someplace that its fine to shoot hogs if you see them but the DEC doesn't want people going out and hunting for them....

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
I thought i remember reading or hearing someplace that its fine to shoot hogs if you see them but the DEC doesn't want people going out and hunting for them....
That's like saying you can date my nympho daughter, just don't get any ideas.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Many people are aware of the feral swine problem in southern states like Texas and Florida, but these animals are also a growing problem in New York. Also called feral pigs, feral hogs, wild boar, wild hogs, razorbacks, Eurasian wild boar, and Russian wild boar, feral swine are a harmful and destructive invasive species.
DEC's goal is to eradicate feral swine from New York's landscape. Feral swine in New York can have tremendous negative impacts on native plants, native wildlife, livestock, agriculture, and humans including:
  • Feral swine eat hard mast (acorns and other nuts) and directly compete with deer, bear, turkey, squirrel and waterfowl for food.
  • Feral swine consume the nests and eggs of ground nesting birds and reptiles.
  • Feral swine will kill and eat fawns and young domestic livestock.
  • Feral swine will eat almost any agricultural crop as well as tree seeds and seedlings.
  • Their rooting and wallowing habits destroy crops and native vegetation, cause erosion, and negatively affect water quality.
  • Feral swine have razor sharp tusks and can be aggressive toward humans and their pets.
  • Feral swine carry and can transmit several serious diseases including swine brucellosis, E. coli, trichinosis, and pseudorabies to livestock and /or humans. Some of these diseases, if introduced to domestic swine, can decimate the pork industry.

Description

Feral swine (scientific name: Sus scrofa) can include domestic pigs or "pet" pigs that have been released or escaped captivity and "gone wild," wild boar (native to Eurasia) that escaped from licensed shooting preserves, or a hybrid cross between domestic pigs and wild boar. Their color and size can be quite variable. They can be black, brown, gray, red, tan or cream colored. They can be belted (dark in color with a white band across the shoulders) or have color patterns like spots or stripes. Piglets often have stripes that fade or disappear as they get older.
Feral swine are highly adaptable and prolific. If weather is good and food is plentiful, feral swine can breed as early as 6 months of age. They can breed several times a year and their litter size can range from 2-8, although litters as large as 10-12 have been reported. A feral swine population can triple in one year.
What You Can Do

As stated above, DEC's goal is to eradicate feral swine from the state's landscape. In New York, people with a small game license may shoot and keep feral swine at any time and in any number. All other hunting laws and firearms regulations are still in effect when shooting feral swine. If you are in an area that prohibits the use of rifles during big game seasons, you cannot use a rifle to shoot feral swine during any open deer season (including archery seasons). Please remember that it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 500 feet of a school, playground, church, dwelling, farm building, or occupied structure. You need to obtain permission of the landowner to enter any lands you do not own.
If you do shoot or see feral swine please report it to the nearest DEC regional wildlife office or e-mail us. Please report the number of swine seen or killed, whether any of them were piglets, the date, and the exact location (county, town, distance and direction from an intersection, nearest landmark, etc.).

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I was on the river fishing and found a Ferrel cow living on a NY island,wanted to hunt that but not sure if it would of been legal?But dam that would of filled the freezer..Also found Ferrel goats along the river in PA that escaped from the near by Stock yards,heard they would of been legal to shoot there...They would live/climb in the blown down/leaning trees!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when you find them, let me know....going to use my AR....yes, with standard xm193 or even 855
yeah i was thinking that surp stuff would not do the job, ever see a feral pig they get big man. not fat big, muscle head butting trees big

if anything id use 3030 or my sks for em, with something like soft points or hp

they come in packs, so a semi is a definite advantage , but then again id like to see a mosin vs. hog video

.... the possibilities are endless!

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
After (almost) finishing my rifle, including optics (waiting on shipment), and having several thousand rounds of the above, i figure I don't feel like spending the money on sighting in and then hunting with HP's....hell, i figure a well-placed 55 or 62 must do the trick...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was on the river fishing and found a Ferrel cow living on a NY island,wanted to hunt that but not sure if it would of been legal?But dam that would of filled the freezer..Also found Ferrel goats along the river in PA that escaped from the near by Stock yards,heard they would of been legal to shoot there...They would live/climb in the blown down/leaning trees!
just remember the ******* motto " ferrel is just a cheap way of saying free range!"

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After (almost) finishing my rifle, including optics (waiting on shipment), and having several thousand rounds of the above, i figure I don't feel like spending the money on sighting in and then hunting with HP's....hell, i figure a well-placed 55 or 62 must do the trick...
dude im so sure it will but...

at same time i like seeing immediate drop and not chasing game 250 yards through brush
there must be some good varmint round we can use

·
Registered
725 Posts
....hell, i figure a well-placed 55 or 62 must do the trick...
They're TOUGH animals. They're big, mean, and smart. If I remember correctly they have a piece of bone/cartilage plate along their shoulder that is massive and thick. Deffinately do a little homework before you go off shooting a gorilla with a paintball. It may do the trick but you may just piss it off. I think a guy around Cortland got a 475 lb hog at the begining of deer season 2 years ago with a 12 ga slug. Good luck and remember to invite the NYF community to the pig roast. :)

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
yeah i was thinking that surp stuff would not do the job, ever see a feral pig they get big man. not fat big, muscle head butting trees big

if anything id use 3030 or my sks for em, with something like soft points or hp

they come in packs, so a semi is a definite advantage , but then again id like to see a mosin vs. hog video

.... the possibilities are endless!
I dropped a 140# feral hot with my .22-250 with no problem.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i hunted them in Georgia last spring and we used AR10's with NV scopes. It was an incredible hunt but let me tell you they are tough. yes a well placed shot from a 223 will take them out but why not drop them where they stand and not have to worry about it. This is what they look like all grown up.
Camouflage Military camouflage Squad Military uniform Vertebrate
Bat Flash photography Helmet Personal protective equipment Darkness

·
Registered
108 Posts
  • Feral swine eat hard mast (acorns and other nuts) and directly compete with deer, bear, turkey, squirrel and waterfowl for food.
  • Feral swine consume the nests and eggs of ground nesting birds and reptiles.
  • Feral swine will kill and eat fawns and young domestic livestock.
  • Feral swine will eat almost any agricultural crop as well as tree seeds and seedlings.
  • Their rooting and wallowing habits destroy crops and native vegetation, cause erosion, and negatively affect water quality.
  • Feral swine have razor sharp tusks and can be aggressive toward humans and their pets.
  • Feral swine carry and can transmit several serious diseases including swine brucellosis, E. coli, trichinosis, and pseudorabies to livestock and /or humans. Some of these diseases, if introduced to domestic swine, can decimate the pork industry.
Maybe not such a good idea for a "Hog Roast"

·
Registered
218 Posts
They do carry these but proper care for the animal while handling/butchering it and there is no problems. and from my research it isnt across the board that they all carry these diseases. It is only a small portion as is the case in the south as well.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe not such a good idea for a "Hog Roast"
really man, they do carry all you quoted from the website but at the same time so has pork since the beginning of time

you just need to know what your doing when you cook it. but that is even true for spinach

1 - 20 of 20 Posts