New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compared to most people on this forum I guess I would have to say I probably make one of the lowest salaries on here lol, that being said I have heard of Hi-Point pistols, and I have no idea what to think. I kinda like their ugly look, HOWEVER I have heard stories ranging from:

"I threw it off the empire state building into lava and it still fired after we fished it out of the center of the earth 2 years later."

to ones like this:

"I fired it once and it blew itself in half and almost killed me!"

Same with the carbines, so what I'm asking is, what is high-points deal? Are they good? Are they cheap? Are they cheap in the good way? Or cheap in the safety hazard kind of way?

I have held one of their carbines, even the bolt carrier felt like plastic to the touch, not sure of the reliability or quality because I didn't get to shoot it, but the guy who bought it seemed very unimpressed, said they were near impossible to clean and couldn't be stripped without specific tools not sold anywhere normally.

This guy also said standard capacity magazine bans didn't apply to pistols because they weren't an assault weapon >_> so his credibility isn't THE best.

This is why I'm asking you guys, high-points - poor mans pistol or dangerous gamble?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I've never fired one - but one time at a range, the guy next to me had a few and was firing away and singing their praises.

Not a gun for me - just TOOOOO big and heavy... but the manufacturer stand behind them with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I owned a carbine. I would never buy one of their pistols unless I literally just could not afford anything else. When you can get a 9mm keltec for like 200 bux though, I don't see the point in looking at hi points.

Also they are huge so probably not good to CCW either.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a high point would never be my CCW, I might as well put a brick in the pocket of my gfs jeans and then try to conceal that, I just wanted a cheap gun to pop rounds down range with all day long. Keltec makes a pistol? I thought they were all carbines that fold up haha, I will have to look into those, thanx.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had a CF-380 Hi Point few years back. The pistol was heavy enough to be a spare boat anchor, and ugly enough to scare off BGs without a shot fired. I will tell you this, it was one of the most accurate pistols I or any of my Glock, Springfield or S & W friends had. Think I paid $124 for it. I will tell you another thing about it too....can convert it to a 9mm changing the barrel and spring assembly in about 5 minutes. Guaranteed for life and American made in Ohio. Not the greatest pistol to strip and clean and definitely not a CCW pistol. You will take a lot of crap from the "gun snobs" that are Glock gods and such but start where you can afford and work up. Gasden.jpg

·
Registered
664 Posts
They are heavy and ugly. My buddy has a 9mm and a.45. They are accurate and run very well. They make great range guns and if someone makes fun of it you can drop it on there foot and break a toe. Deff not a good carry gun and if it's what you can afford your not gonna find much else for around 160 bucks.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test - YouTube

First of all dispel any "They are all crap and you'd be better of throwing it at the guy" nonsense.

Nothing bad to say about their carbines. Their pistols are blowback operated as opposed to locked-breech though, meaning heavy slide and hard recoil.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My father has the .45 version of the carbine and pistol. We fired a few hundred rounds through each with no issues whatsoever (except that the cheap-o red-dot kept drifting). once i removed the red dot and used the peep sights, it had great grouping.
Also, the mags were interchangeable between the carbine and pistol.

They are ugly as sin....but I think they are kind of kewl because of that. only reason I don't have one is that I'm saving up for a .45LC revolver.

Oh, and they are American made, and have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Here's my take.

Instead of looking at a make or model of gun as "always works", or "always fails", look at it in terms of a percentage failure rate. A brand like Glock or Beretta probably has a very low percentage failure rate, but you still find a bad one out of every thousand or so. A brand like Taurus or Hi-Point has a higher rate. Maybe 1 out of 20 or so could have an issue. (These numbers are completely made up based on how often people whine on the Internet, so don't put much faith in them. It gets the point across though.)

If you get one of the good ones, your Hi-Point will be just as reliable as the Glock. If you don't, you have a little work to do. For me, its always the uncertainty that it could become one of the bad ones after X number of rounds, and not show itself at the very beginning. You can never really have faith in the Hi-Point because you know it has a higher propensity to have issues. But you still have a good chance of getting a good firearm, and there's always the possibility of a bad one, no matter what you're buying.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Here's my take.

Instead of looking at a make or model of gun as "always works", or "always fails", look at it in terms of a percentage failure rate. A brand like Glock or Beretta probably has a very low percentage failure rate, but you still find a bad one out of every thousand or so. A brand like Taurus or Hi-Point has a higher rate. Maybe 1 out of 20 or so could have an issue. (These numbers are completely made up based on how often people whine on the Internet, so don't put much faith in them. It gets the point across though.)

If you get one of the good ones, your Hi-Point will be just as reliable as the Glock. If you don't, you have a little work to do. For me, its always the uncertainty that it could become one of the bad ones after X number of rounds, and not show itself at the very beginning. You can never really have faith in the Hi-Point because you know it has a higher propensity to have issues. But you still have a good chance of getting a good firearm, and there's always the possibility of a bad one, no matter what you're buying.
But if you aren't given the option of spending more money one a Glock, I'd feel just fine with a Hi-point. If we were given actual failure rates between the 2 and not just Internet or anecdotal evidence about them, I think we'd be surprised.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
True story, I'm sure you're right. Still, I can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't be given the option to spend more. One can always wait a little longer till they have more funds.

There are also factors other than pure reliability which I'm sure are improved on more expensive choices.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was considering the Hi Point 45 Carbine when it first came out. I read a lot of positive stuff about Hi Points and the warranty is lifetime "no questions asked" no matter how many owners it's been through.

My only reason for deciding against it was the 9 rd capacity. I had already gotten rid of my CX4 (8 rd capacity) and subsequently opted for an MPA 45 Carbine that took 30 rd mags.

If you're on a budget I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Hi Point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
they are what they are!! for range shooting for fun id say they are perfectly fine i have the jhp 45 its very heavy so the recoil is a lot less and i havent had one issue with it

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've owned a 995 (carbine) and fired a 9mm pistol. The carbines are fun and accurate--but I still sold mine because I lost interest. I was never a fan of the pistols, and the one I shot jammed a lot. Sure, you can send them back to the company for a free over-haul and maybe they'll come back working better. Personally, I wouldn't own one of their pistols for anything more than a "truck gun."

If you need a handgun, get a cheapy revolver in .38spl and don't look back

·
Registered
171 Posts

First of all dispel any "They are all crap and you'd be better of throwing it at the guy" nonsense.

Nothing bad to say about their carbines. Their pistols are blowback operated as opposed to locked-breech though, meaning heavy slide and hard recoil.
I love that video. Those good ol' boys are a riot. I'm surprised someone didn't shoot themselves.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
They are ugly, heavy, cheap and accurate. That being said, I would never own one because I would be too embarrassed to be seen with one at the range. I rather buy a S&W Sigma AND be able to carry it if needed. If you are going to make a gun at least make is somewhat attractive or try to. They seem to drop the ball hard on that one!

James

·
Banned
95 Posts

Eric and Barry had to do some pretty drastic stuff to make that pistol blow up

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
My sons first center fire pistol was a HP .45 it was heavy but had a nice trigger and was very accurate. He did have an occasional problem with a sear disconnect or something (can't remember exactly) and HP just mailed him the part, easy fix. You most certainly could bash in a zombies head with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts