New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll be getting a new rifle in another month or so, but can only afford one. I’ve narrowed my options down to two, the Hi Point 995ts and the W.A.S.R.10. I live in the suburbs, but there are a few large wooded areas (like the Split Rock Quarry) near me that I could take the H.P. to. I could only take the A.K. to the range and on occasional trips to the Adirondacks. There is no doubt I would get more use out of the H.P. The argument in favor of the A.K. is that after this upcoming election there probably going to be harder to find. After all the recent shootings in Colorado and such literally every A.K. in local shops has disappeared. If I get a chance to by an A.K. should I jump on it? What would you do?

· Registered
5,426 Posts
I'll be getting a new rifle in another month or so, but can only afford one. I've narrowed my options down to two, the Hi Point 995ts and the W.A.S.R.10. I live in the suburbs, but there are a few large wooded areas (like the Split Rock Quarry) near me that I could take the H.P. to. I could only take the A.K. to the range and on occasional trips to the Adirondacks. There is no doubt I would get more use out of the H.P. The argument in favor of the A.K. is that after this upcoming election there probably going to be harder to find. After all the recent shootings in Colorado and such literally every A.K. in local shops has disappeared. If I get a chance to by an A.K. should I jump on it? What would you do?
AK can do everything the HP can, and most of the time it will out preform it, I'd go AK if I was you.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I was always leaning towards the ak to tell the truth. Hi points just seems like a more economical solution. Hope I can find one before January... On the other hand, Saiga rifles should be around for a while. Being a sporterized rifle and all. Could always convert that later down the road. I do prefer the synthetic look.

· Registered
9,724 Posts
Thanks guys. I was always leaning towards the ak to tell the truth. Hi points just seems like a more economical solution. Hope I can find one before January... On the other hand, Saiga rifles should be around for a while. Being a sporterized rifle and all. Could always convert that later down the road. I do prefer the synthetic look.
Economical?? Are we talking about guns?? ;) for economical I shoot a .22. Yes ... you're right about it being alittle less money BUT ... the WASR 10 is a gun that's going to go up in value and already has in a short time. (a year or less) The Hi Point, well .... not so much. I would get the AK first THEN get the Hi Point or pick up a used one on the cheap.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Economical?? Are we talking about guns?? ;) for economical I shoot a .22. Yes ... you're right about it being alittle less money BUT ... the WASR 10 is a gun that's going to go up in value and already has in a short time. (a year or less) The Hi Point, well .... not so much. I would get the AK first THEN get the Hi Point or pick up a used one on the cheap.
I wanted something bigger than a .22 .Had a ruger 10/22 and loved it but outgrew it. 9mm has a little more bite and is still pretty cheep. Like I said, I'd get a lot of use out of it. But your absolutely right about the value of the WASR's. Hell, if they can't outlaw them in NY the'll make them just as pricey as A.R.'s!

· Registered
2,442 Posts
I have an AR, an SR-22 rifle, and a Beretta CX4 Storm (what the Hi Point wishes it was). But I have no desire to own an AK. Is that just wrong? Do I need an intervention?

:)

· Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,326 Posts
How do you outgrow a 10/22?

· Registered
1,758 Posts
Agreed. Get the WASR as long as you can find one at a reasonable price, but don't get silly and pay $700 for one....

· Registered
68 Posts
make sure its a 10/63..the older wasrs are pretty crappy, canted front sights really bad mag wob, extra crappy triggers...ive had several older ones and i have one of the newer ones with the tapco g2 trigger group and its pretty solid.

· Registered
396 Posts
AK-47, AR-15, F-16, HBO 1-2-3.....am I the last man in America that thinks ( except for a 22 lr plinker), a Winchester lever 30-30 is about all the rifle I need? Not putting anyone down about what they like, I just never "got it" about the Aks and the ARs and such... Might be the history buff in me that likes the old school rifles.

· Registered
1,668 Posts
I grew up in Camillus and live in Solvay - why is it okay to shoot a 995 in the quarry, but not an AK? Personally, I wouldn't shoot either up there; that's just beggin' for trouble.

Hi-Points are great and all, but you can't get hi-cap mags and you may need a pistol permit to buy ammo (depending on where you go.) Every collection needs an AK--get one now and don't look back.

· Registered
554 Posts
If you do go up to the Quarry, make sure you don't bring your POS Nissan pick-up truck and try to drive through lost lake and lose the slave cylinder on the clutch. Then you'd have to be pushed by a bunch of ATV guys so you can pop the clutch and almost kill yourself while driving home since you can't stop or it will stall out. Good luck!

· Registered
42 Posts
If you do go up to the Quarry, make sure you don't bring your POS Nissan pick-up truck and try to drive through lost lake and lose the slave cylinder on the clutch. Then you'd have to be pushed by a bunch of ATV guys so you can pop the clutch and almost kill yourself while driving home since you can't stop or it will stall out. Good luck!
Ummmm did i miss something or did this just get personal lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.