New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. My buddy's birthday is coming up, and I know he wants some hi caps for his Ruger 10/22. How do I obtain some (I'm assuming pre-ban?) mags for a Ruger 10/22?

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I would start with learning how to identify what is a preban 10/22 mag if it's even possible.

Most were/are made cheaply. Plastic feed lips. Lots of failures to feed.

I am sure there are good ones out there but it's been so long since i have had a 10/22 i forgot

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I saw them at the gun show but the cheap type like Rayknobs said. I have some old ones that are also polymer lips and they work ok. do not shoot much though.
Look for them. Do not pay the $80 some locos want at gunbroker. you should be able to find them eventually for $20-25 range.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How are those mags NY legal? Will they even ship to NY?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
RUGER 77/96/10-22 50rd PRE-BAN MAGAZINE MAG NEW RAMLINE Magazines & Clips > Rifle Magazines > 10/22 for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from Hicapmag. Buy or bid on this RUGER 77/96/10-22 50rd PRE-BAN MAGAZINE MAG NEW RAMLINE in the category Mag

here is one that is guaranteed preban 50 round banana by ram-line but price-tag is bad!

here is info on the ramline mags from other forum

How do you identify pre-ban ruger 10-22 high cap mags?

ray there is a big difference between 25 rounds and 50 , 25 round magazines are legal for rimfire in this state and can be had cheaper than 12 each if bought used or at gun show

the link is all new non preban magazines

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
10/22 mags dont last as well as ar mags so finding prebans that arent junk probably wont be easy

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
ray there is a big difference between 25 rounds and 50 , 25 round magazines are legal for rimfire in this state and can be had cheaper than 12 each if bought used or at gun show

the link is all new non preban magazines
huh?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
He's sort of right. I believe there's an exemption for rimfire magazines to be legal for more than 10 rounds, if and only if they're of a fixed tube-fed design, not a detachable box magazine.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
herb philpsons sells a hk look alike 22 licensed by hk and included with it are a fake silencer and 1 25 round mag, i assumed since it was not in leo case it was legit seems that its only tube fed that allow more than 10 rounds

H&K 22 Rimfire - MP5 SD

here is rifle in question, it appears i may also have to sit down and read through part 265 or ny penal law again!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
He's sort of right. I believe there's an exemption for rimfire magazines to be legal for more than 10 rounds, if and only if they're of a fixed tube-fed design, not a detachable box magazine.
Noodles, you are correct... Attached tubular device. But he is flat wrong. $12 post ban 25-round mags are not legal.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
herb philpsons sells a hk look alike 22 licensed by hk and included with it are a fake silencer and 1 25 round mag, i assumed since it was not in leo case it was legit seems that its only tube fed that allow more than 10 rounds

H&K 22 Rimfire - MP5 SD

here is rifle in question, it appears i may also have to sit down and read through part 265 or ny penal law again!
HP sels lots of "questionable" stuff. There is no question here though. Any post ban .22 mag >10 rounds that isn't a tube attached to the rifle is illegal.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
chicken shoot, those look just like the ones made last week
Yep they do ... and so do the mags for any other gun I've seen whether pre ban or post ban. :) They are indeed pre ban though. Mag Manufacturers aren't going to change their tooling or process for making mags just for us here in NY and a few others. One thing to remember too is that if you're ever questioned about a hi cap mag you have, it's YOUR responsibility to prove they are legal ... if you can't then it's your azz!!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yep they do ... and so do the mags for any other gun I've seen whether pre ban or post ban. :) They are indeed pre ban though. Mag Manufacturers aren't going to change their tooling or process for making mags just for us here in NY and those in CA. One thing to remember too is that if you're ever questioned about a hi cap mag you have, it's YOUR responsibility to prove they are legal ... if you can't then it's your azz!!
actually it is their responsibility to prove that its illegal... innocent until proven guilty and all that

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
actually it is their responsibility to prove that its illegal... innocent until proven guilty and all that
that is the premise unfortunately its not the reality all the time.

thanks again i was about to make a 500 dollar mistake !
i cant believe they stock it, i wonder when they would realize it if someone tried to buy it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts