New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't louisiana use public records and internet info to pull weapons away from law abbiding people?

Keep your shtf info to yourself guys, for all or saftey

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Wouldn't posting on a firearms forum do the same thing? What does it matter if you say you have firearms in this forum, or a different one?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Two problems with your view (to me, anyway), and they're both slightly related. One is, if disaster strikes, I want to be in a position to help as many people as possible, which requires me to be self-reliant and "prepared". The other is that most of us have to learn how to prepare, and the best way to do that is to listen and share information with each other (i.e. help each other before disaster strikes, so we can help others after).

To me, a key point of being prepared is so that we can rebuild/maintain society in the event of a catastrophe...having an "everyone's my enemy" perspective is very anti-social, and makes me question your long-term mental preparedness. So I got to ask, what's your reason for trying to survive if you're just going to become everyone's enemy?

For me, being prepared for a big disaster means I'm all that better prepared to handle (and help during) minor disasters, such as an ice storm and no power for a week, significant illness or injury in my family or community (other than "swine flu" or some pandemic), etc.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
unless you actually care about your wife and kid
your wife may reveal info to co workers about you food stocks man do you wanna risk that?
your kids might tell the teachers at school or freinds about your ammo pile and poof one day its missing when you need it most

G

·
Yes, during the Katrina disaster some firearm confiscation took place. Your plans should include measures to mitigate this threat but don't be paralyzed by it.

If you are already a NYS pistol licensee your name and address are available to law enforcement at a key-stroke. Not to mention the existence of ATF Forms 4473. (Remember the reference to them in Red Dawn?) Yes, internet forums could supply useful information to tyrants. My point is that there are many other sources and besides, if you're like me you're already compromised.

I certainly do not advocate severe OPSEC violations but interaction, conversation and thoughtful dialog on the subject of preparedness and self sufficiency can only help people make the right choices and develop important relationships.

Finally, in the investment business we're told to diversify our portfolios to ensure against total loss. This advice can be applied to the storage of your critical equipment. It's all about eggs and baskets.

Don't let yourself get treed by this particular Chihuahua.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Or, you could explain to your spouse that they shouldn't talk to anybody about what you have stored. The space, money, and time to properly store everything will be noticed by them anyways.

Having kids know what is going on is a different story. When they get to a certain age, they should know. When they are 5 or 6, there probably isn't any reason to bring the subject up to them.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
your wife may reveal info to co workers about you food stocks man do you wanna risk that?
your kids might tell the teachers at school or freinds about your ammo pile and poof one day its missing when you need it most
Im not married nor have kids

But what if something happens to you? Wouldnt you want your family to know you have supplies stashed and where they are located?

Also I agree with what JHM said... sit down and talk with them and I also agree no point in the kids knowing whats going on till they reach a certain age... young kids wont understand anyways

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Proof that New Orleans confiscated leagal firearms or were they got the information?
Proof that they took the time to subpoena names of anonymous users on a internet message board dedicated to the state of Louisiana. Then filtered out what users didn't live in N.O. Then got in boats and went to visit those residents?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im not married nor have kids

But what if something happens to you? Wouldnt you want your family to know you have supplies stashed and where they are located?

Also I agree with what JHM said... sit down and talk with them and I also agree no point in the kids knowing whats going on till they reach a certain age... young kids wont understand anyways
you raise a valid point, im glad i have not gotten married or have little ones to worry about.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Not tell the wife and kids? You'll wish you did when your hunkered down with 50# of peanut butter, 10 gallons of jelly and one loaf of bread. These people are part of your support system, teach them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am not much of a social guy, but sitting alone in a bunker constantly scared that every person is trying to get my stuff is not really a world I would want to exist in.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am not much of a social guy, but sitting alone in a bunker constantly scared that every person is trying to get my stuff is not really a world I would want to exist in.
no i would plan for people to be around, hoping that they would be there with me
.... but at same time i would feel better if they were let in on that fact as late as possible to preserve the security of our situation

bill where can i get 50 pounds of peanut butter from? that just sound like a good buy survival or not. not to mention id love to have it at the cabin if we ever get stranded there because of storm. does it require refrigerator and what is shelf life

1 - 20 of 30 Posts