New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You don't have to be exact, but my buddy wants a gun to go target shooting with me. We found a Marlin .22 Model 890, Semi Auto. Good, firing condition. Brown wooden stock. No chips, rust, cracks, etc. also could you tell me what year aprox it was made. Thank You ahead of time...
Fred

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
As far as I know there is no Marlin model 890 . There is a Sears/J.C. Higgins model 890, but that is otherwise known as the Marlin 57. If you look closer at the gun's marking, I'll bet you notice it's a 89C , not 890.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
That being said, an 89C in the condition you describe is probably valued at ~$100.

As for the date of manufacture, does it have two letters on left side of the barrel in front of the receiver ? If so, it was made between '62 and '68. The second letter of the code indicates the year. F = 1962 G = 1963 H = 1964 and so forth.
I'm not sure if any were made after 1968. If it doesn't have the code somewhere on the gun then it's probably 50's.

EDIT: Found a little more info. The 89C was produced between 1948 and 1961 , so it would NOT have the two later date code. I'll leave the above part though for other people identifying Marlins

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.