New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my paperwork to fill out a couple days ago and was told probably around a year to hear back if I am approved. Sounds like a blast to sit around waiting to hear if I can even handle a pistol at a gun store to figure out what I want. I'll just look at the bright side, plenty of time to save up to buy a nice carry and home defense pistol. What can boost my chances of getting an unrestricted permit? What are the odds I'll even get an unrestricted? Judge on the envelopes they gave me is shown as Farber I believe.

Such a massive amount of work and waiting to be able to exercise my rights gives as a natural bourn American Citizen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I doubt you'll get unrestricted unless you have some exceptional qualifications. If you poke around some of the Herkimer threads here, you'll see that the judge likes you to have your restricted permit for a couple of years and get some training. I haven't gotten the training yet, so I haven't bothered to apply for unrestricted.

Farber is the sheriff, not the judge. Crandall is the judge. I've never met that latter, but Farber was easy to talk to when I went in for my interview. Tomika in the permit office has always been nice and helpful when I've been in, but I don't know how busy she is these days (haven't added anything to the permit in a while, sadly). They must be busier if they're telling you a year. I had mine inside of three months a few years back.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Picked up my paperwork to fill out a couple days ago and was told probably around a year to hear back if I am approved. Sounds like a blast to sit around waiting to hear if I can even handle a pistol at a gun store to figure out what I want. I'll just look at the bright side, plenty of time to save up to buy a nice carry and home defense pistol. What can boost my chances of getting an unrestricted permit? What are the odds I'll even get an unrestricted? Judge on the envelopes they gave me is shown as Farber I believe.

Such a massive amount of work and waiting to be able to exercise my rights gives as a natural bourn American Citizen.
I submitted in late October Early November and I am still waiting for my permit in Herk. Co. Just a long dumb process.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Chance of unrestricted w/o training is most likely zero as Dozer said. As to wait times I waited about 6 months but that was some years ago. Judge Crandall does seem to be pro gun/pistol permit, if you get past the back ground check and interview with the sheriffs dept. best of luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
It's right by that place that just lost 105 gun manufacturing jobs. :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
I applied for my permit in July 2013, had interview with investigator in March 2014 and had permit in hand in May. I also applied for my Utah permit in July 2013 and had it 90 days later. I then (at the time) went to PA to hold/pick as many as you like. However I think The reciprocity laws between PA and Utah have changed. Good luck on your journey!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here's my timeline:
Picked up app 07-MAY-2012
Paperwork handed in, photos and prints on 25-JUN-2012
15-OCT-2012 still no reference checks
30-DEC-2012 had Sheriff interview
23-FEB-2013 file sent to judge to sign
12-MAR-2013 Permit Issued.

Now the things that I know were odd about my application:
Sheriff had to contact CA law enforcement during BG check as I had just moved from northern CA in March 2012...they had some trouble as they were trying to contact the county sheriff out there but they needed to contact my local PD out there.
Finger prints had to be re-done as I was born with only nine fingers and it makes them tough to print...this also happened for my FL CCW
I got caught in the back up of applications due to the modernization of the NYS Mental Health system. Basically when their IT project blew the deadline, mental health just stopped processing applications and did not notify any permit clerks...they were catching up on the backlog when I submitted mine.

I consider my start date as 25-JUN-2012 so that makes this a 9 1/2 month process. I am surprised that you were told a year as I thought things were getting better. I have recently amended my permit (a couple weeks ago) and I walked in about 7:50 AM on a Wednesday and was first in line. Back when I got my permit...If I had showed up at that time I'd have had 20 people ahead of me.

AFAIK you will not get unrestricted first time through unless maybe you are LEO. But Herkimer is pretty much shall issue from what I've seen...just restricted to recreational purposes. My logic (and is no way implied to be correct or constitute legal advice) is walking the dog around the block is a recreational activity, shopping at Walmart is not. Of course where am I more likely to need my gun? Walking the dog in Dolgeville...or while shopping at Herkimer Walmart? *sigh*

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
As of right now in Oneida County, if you got your letter and bought your pistol today, it would take about 5 weeks to get your appointment with the pistol office to get the card to go back and pick up your gun. Ridiculous.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts