New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife bought this for me as a anniversary gift to celebrate our 33 years married 35 together. It is my first take down and I can't wait to get out and shoot it.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
You know what would be cool... if the receiver and barrel both fit inside of the stock for storage.

I should patent that idea.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You know what would be cool... if the receiver and barrel both fit inside of the stock for storage.

I should patent that idea.
They do fit inside the stock Jeff. I should have posted the pic. Ok pic is up of it all tucked away LOL!!

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I want one of these. I just read that they will float (when broken down). Let us know how it shoots!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
only the newest ar7 float, older ones dont and hold one less mag

one gun worth buying new, because you never know where a used one been dragged to

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Well Jeff .... you could patent that idea if you were to have the receiver and the barrel assembled and fit in the stock but I don't think there's much call for a 22" length of pull. ;)

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
only the newest ar7 float, older ones dont and hold one less mag

one gun worth buying new, because you never know where a used one been dragged to
The original Armalite AR7 does indeed float and it will float assembled!! Foam filled stock was the original design. I've owned a few. The Charter arms does indeed float as well. Yes ... only one mag in the older models. The original Armalite AR7 was is a stout little gun with nice build quality, but the Henry version is pretty dang good itself and I like the subtle changes in the design they have made like changing the feed ramp to shoot flatnose bullets as the original was designed to shoot the round nose of the day. Nice Gun De17Walt!! Congrats!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's pretty neat to see. Let us know how it shoots as well!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The original Armalite AR7 does indeed float. Foam filled stock was the original design. I've owned a few. The Charter arms does indeed float as well. Yes ... only one mag in the older models. The original Armalite AR7 was is a stout little gun with nice build quality, but the Henry version is pretty dang good itself and I like the subtle changes in the design they have made like changing the feed ramp to shoot flatnose bullets as the original was designed to shoot the round nose of the day. Nice Gun De17Walt!! Congrats!!
Very true! I know first hand that both the original model AR7's floated.They had foam filled stocks. As a teenager I owned the Armalite and a good friend owned the charter arms. They were very stout little guns and we did a ton of bullfrog hunting with them.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
never liked these guns A survival rifle should be a very durable rifle... and this gun has a plastic stock

Plastic isn't durable

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
never liked these guns A survival rifle should be a very durable rifle... and this gun has a plastic stock

Plastic isn't durable
Says who? Have you looked around lately? Many safety devices incorporate plastics. Heck most firearms are made out of plastic.

James

G

·
The very first gun I ever bought with my own money was an Armalite AR-7. I was only 14-years old back in the summer of 1968 so my mom took me to "The Gun Shop" on State Street in Rochester. I pointed out the AR-7 and she bought it for me saying, "It looks like something Dick Tracey would have."

I went on to literally wear that little rifle out. I shot it a lot. I shot it until the aluminum portion of the breach face was so eroded that the steel liner stood proud by about 0.050". I wouldn't even attempt to estimate the round count. Back then a box of 50-rounds cost $0.45. That's right, less than a penny a shot. I finally destroyed that rifle before discarding it back in the '70s.

This is now my "live off the land" gun:

I still have a place in my heart for that little AR-7.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Plastic isn't durable
I will put this ABS stock up against a wood stock for durability any day..

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tested my Henry today to see if it was really waterproof according to the company and as it floated some water did get into the stock. I called Henry Firearms and told them as to what happened and they said that it should not have happened and are sending a new stock. The thing I found amazing is that they didn't even ask for proof that I owned their rifle, just took my name, number and address and said it will be shipped to me. Now that is GREAT customer service from a company that stands behind their products.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts