New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, I started reloading a couple of months ago. I was reloading some 38 sp this evening and was checking everything as I was going along. I checked and double checked my charges, etc. I decided to weigh my completed rounds and they were weighing anywhere from 197.3 gr to 203.0 gr.
Is it possible that there is that much difference in the weight of the brass and bullets?
I am perplexed, am I digging to deeply into this?
Any help would certainly put my mind at ease.
Thanks for any light you can shed on this. I am weighing with a Lyman digital scale and made sure I was calibrated.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Is it possible that there is that much difference in the weight of the brass and bullets?
Yes.

Weigh some empty cases and bullets and you'll see they vary.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Even pull two of those apart and weight the components from each, you will prob see some difference is brass weight. The bullets I purchase are pretty consistent. Brass varies.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes you will get that much difference. Are you useing lead bullets?
Sniper, I am using the RainierBallistics, LeadSafe, Plated bullets. They have a copper coating (not jacketed). It says to use lead bullet loading data for them, which I am doing.

·
Registered
549 Posts
From the info sounds like every thing is in order. I wouldn't worry about the finished rounds weight varying as long as you know its not the powder charge thats off that much. I dont reload much hand gun ammo but I do rifle and that small differance would matter in 1000y bench shooting but not with handguns. Unless you are a comp shooter. That extra weight can be from the case or from the bullets i would think the bullet being that they are plated and dont have a formed copper jacket. The heavy ones may just have a little extra plating. 6 grains is not a lot as long as its not the powder charge.(Thats the most important thing you want to keep all your body parts were they are)So keep on reloading pal and good luck.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it!
Thanks for the info. I reloaded a box (50) .38 sp, and 2 boxes of 9mm this morning.
This is a GREAT hobby and allows me to shoot a lot more.
Thanks again to everyone who "chimed" in to help this newb out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts