New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on what stock to purchase for my Build. If anyone has any experience with any of the following items please let me know your likes and dislikes. It is a difficult decision without having access to them all.

Vltor IMOD - Improved Modstocks from Vltor Weapons Systems - IMOD Combo Kit
Or
Vltor
Enhanced Carbine Modstock - Vltor Weapons Systems
Or
Magpul STR™ - Storage/Type Restricted - STR™ Carbine Stock - Mil-Spec Model
Or
Magpul ACS™ - Adaptable Carbine/Storage - ACS™ Carbine Stock - Mil-Spec Model

Anyone know why the Vltor products arent avalible in OD Green.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have both the EMOD and ACS on my rifles. Each lends a slightly different balance and feel to rifle and ultimately you are the only one who can decide which stock will suit you the best.

The early version of the ACS was easy to pin in place because you could pop off the battery tubes. Now they are pinned in place and you need to drill that pin out before you can pop off the tubes. The EMOD and IMOD would be easier to pin in that regard.

If I were adding a new stock to a 14.5"-16" rifle, then the STR - a more streamlined version of the ACS - would probably be my choice. The current fixed stocks on the market just don't do it for me, mostly due to the weight.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Those are good stocks all of them but did you get your sights and /or mount and/or glass already?
Because if you didn't and then you need to raise those and are not the best choice then that will give your some grief. also if you switch between prone and lets say standing a quick adjust? There is not worse thing that getting your cheek down welded opening your eye and it doesn't line up with the sighting system and then find out there is no cheek adjustment possible.
Like the wise man said above, see if you can try things first before you jump or you might end up with a box full of parts in the basement
like many I know, including the guy in the mirror. LOL
I know magpul gives at least three pieces in some models to adjust the cheek and also different pads for LOP. Leave it the shorter you feel right with with the winter gear. Because you can always add by buying a winder pad for summer clothes but you cannot reduce LOP with the thinest pad after it is pinned.

here a great value standard IMI and adjustable out of the box....

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
I have both the STR and the ACS and absolutely love them both. Cheek weld for me is perfect when using both the irons and an ACOG.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I use the IMOD stock, and love it. Initially, I was intending to just use a MagPul MOE stock, but upgraded to the IMOD after I got to actually feel one in person. I really like the slope of the cheek weld on either side, gives a very positive purchase to shoot from, and lines up your eyes great with sights and optics. The texturing along the butt of the stock also makes for good contact against your shoulder without being aggressive to the point of discomfort. I also opted for the clubfoot, which after shooting the first time off a rest with it and using it for it's intended purpose, was very much worth it. It's also nice that it's similar to the LMT SOPMOD, but to be had for half the price.

All in all, it's a great stock. I don't know how it compares to the other ones you have listed, though; never used the other 3.

And, also, just to throw it out there, this is where I got my IMOD from, and it was one of the cheaper spots to get it after shopping around;

Clubfoot IMOD Basic Buttstock Collapsible AR-15 Carbine Synthetic

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate those that have made replies....... I am pretty sure the buttstock and the Handguard are the only 2 peice I have left to order for my build. Of course these are 2 of the more important decsions that need to be made.

If anyone else has opinions to share please post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts