New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I am in the market to get a revolver. I have narrowed it down between these 2 due to cost, availabilty, etc etc.

Ruger SP101 with 2.25" barrel. I can get this for around 420.00 I would use it as my carry gun when hiking and as my night stand gun. I would maybe carry it from time to time as my CC gun. But mostly it would be when hiking and every night night stand gun.

Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 38: I has the built in laser weights a tiny 14 ozs. I would carry this gun when jogging in a belly band or something smilar when were shorts or sweat pants. Also would use it from time to time when I needed a light weight pistol with certain types of clothes. Lastly it would double as my night stand gun.

If I got the Ruger I would still need to by a light weight pistol down the line. Be it a air\light weight revolver or something like a PF9, CW9, LC9 etc etc. So getting the bodyguard kills 2 birds in one stone. I would be getting a revolver and getting the light gun I need. I can get the bodyguard for around 410.00

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The SP101 is the better gun. It is heavier and will be far more enjoyable to shoot. But like you said, it isn't as lightweight of a carry gun. If your primary need is a lightweight carry gun, then bypass the SP101. But if you are carrying on the belt line, I don't think you need to worry too much about the weight, my 2.25" SP101 never bothered me. Definitely won't work for pocket carry though.

My advice would be to get something bigger as a nightstand gun, and leave it dedicated in that role. Maybe a 6 shot GP101, or 686 if you prefer S&W. For the carry revolver, consider the Ruger LCR instead of the Bodyguard. It can be had with a laser as well, has the cylinder release in the traditional location, and is highly thought of.

If you will consider autos (you mentioned some), that changes the whole discussion. Best nail down whether you want one gun or two, and auto(s) or revolver(s) first.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The SP101 is the better gun. It is heavier and will be far more enjoyable to shoot. But like you said, it isn't as lightweight of a carry gun. If your primary need is a lightweight carry gun, then bypass the SP101. But if you are carrying on the belt line, I don't think you need to worry too much about the weight, my 2.25" SP101 never bothered me. Definitely won't work for pocket carry though.

My advice would be to get something bigger as a nightstand gun, and leave it dedicated in that role. Maybe a 6 shot GP101, or 686 if you prefer S&W. For the carry revolver, consider the Ruger LCR instead of the Bodyguard. It can be had with a laser as well, has the cylinder release in the traditional location, and is highly thought of.

If you will consider autos (you mentioned some), that changes the whole discussion. Best nail down whether you want one gun or two, and auto(s) or revolver(s) first.
The Ruger SP101 wouldnt be a primary carry gun. I have the Glock 30 and Sig SP2022 for those roles. Its niche would soley be hiking and night stand. I MIGHT carry it 2 or 3 daysa month tops as a carry gun but its primary role would be night stand gun.

The Bodyguards primary role would be lightweight carry gun when the attire required something small and lightweight. I.E. jogging, working out, in basketball shorts, maybe formal wear, etc. The bodyguards secondary role would be night stand gun.

I def want a revolver again to replace the Security Six I sold last year.

your saying the LCR is considered a all around better gun that the bodyguard? Also I know the LCR can come with the laser but one of the things that made the body guard more attractive was the price with the laser built in.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The Ruger SP101 wouldnt be a primary carry gun. I have the Glock 30 and Sig SP2022 for those roles. Its niche would soley be hiking and night stand. I MIGHT carry it 2 or 3 daysa month tops as a carry gun but its primary role would be night stand gun.

The Bodyguards primary role would be lightweight carry gun when the attire required something small and lightweight. I.E. jogging, working out, in basketball shorts, maybe formal wear, etc. The bodyguards secondary role would be night stand gun.

I def want a revolver again to replace the Security Six I sold last year.

your saying the LCR is considered a all around better gun that the bodyguard? Also I know the LCR can come with the laser but one of the things that made the body guard more attractive was the price with the laser built in.
Got it, thanks for clarifying.

Of what I've read, more people seem to like the LCR than the Bodyguard. The main complaint is the cylinder release location on the Bodyguard, its on top of the gun where you'd expect a hammer to be. Some people are in the habit of putting their thumb there and accidentally open the cylinder. The button to turn on the laser is also in a somewhat inconvenient location, especially compared to something like LaserGrips where the button is right on the grip. The LCR looks a little smaller to me too, but I haven't compared them in person. The Bodyguard is a better value with the laser however.

I understand your desire for a revolver, but does this gun have to serve nightstand duty as well? I'd think the SP2022 would be better suited to that task. Then you'd have your SP2022 HD gun, Glock 30 carry gun, and Bodyguard pocket/deep concealment gun.

Found this online, to eyeball the size differences.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. No whatever revolver I get does not have to serve as a night stand gun. Up to this point I leave my carry gun out at night. I sually switch what I am carrying weekly between the Sig and Glock. Which means if it didnt need to be a night stand gun I could just go with a small ultra light revolver like the suggested LCR. Which in turn would turn having to buy two guns into one gun instead.
I will look into the LCR. I def dont want a gun with issues. So far I have had BAD luck buying pistols.

Ruger P95 purchased brand new- every shot mag would fall out. Sent back to Ruger they fixed it.
Glcok 30 (gen3) purchased used. No issues:)
Sig Pro SP2022- extractor broke within the first 100 rounds. Sent back to sig and they fixed it.

So I def dont want to go into something known to have problems.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Since you don't need it for every day, I'd suggest the SP101 with 3" or 4" barrel. You will enjoy it much more at the range than the others, still good for OWB when hiking. Still small enough for carry if you really wanted.

Then get the LCR also.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree that the SP101 with the 3 inch barrel might be a great suggestion. The longer barrel works better with 357. and if you want to carry, it disappears with in waist band carry. The SP is a little too heavy for me for pocket carry. I really like mine.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
If you'd like to shoot a Bodyguard 38, I have one and use the range in Monroe. Just send me a pm. I have been kicking around maybe selling mine but haven't listed it or anything. The SP101 would be the better model perhaps, but it is larger and heavier. The reason for the B38 is size and weight. As far as issues, I have not had a drop of trouble with mine. The only reason why I'm considering moving it is to make room for toys.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow thanks guys. Thats pretty helpful. Just a note the reason I have it narrowed between those 2 is that the sellers on gun broker have a pretty good layaway plan since right now I cant just plop the entire thing down to buy it like in the past.
I am going to see if they have the ruger is 3" or 4" if so go that route over the S&W. if they dont then I will go with the bodyguard and stick to the glock or sig as the night stand gun.
Maybe down the line get a SP101 or GP100 as a night stand gun.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I prefer the three inch over the four, due to the adjustable sights on the four inch. I think that the adjustable sights would be too high above the revolver for my taste.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went through a similar decision earlier this summer. I opted for the SP101 with the bobbed hammer in 2.25". From shooting light/airweights I knew it would be more comfortable for .357. It is very concealable but not really a pocket gun. I am quite pleased with it and I'm not really a revolver guy (1 of 2).
IMAG0214.jpg

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I went through a similar decision earlier this summer. I opted for the SP101 with the bobbed hammer in 2.25". From shooting light/airweights I knew it would be more comfortable for .357. It is very concealable but not really a pocket gun. I am quite pleased with it and I'm not really a revolver guy (1 of 2).
View attachment 12150
Beautiful handgun, but damned expensive to feed. I have a Ruger Security-Six .357 mag. I haven't shot it in years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts