New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all was wondering if anyone has any information on what the process in nyc is now after the new laws. I currently have an nyc premise home permit and with the new law I would think I should be able to somehow switch over to carry but I have no clue how that process works. I tried calling 855 lawguns and they told me they don’t have any info on how nyc is handling this situation that I need to contact nypd license division of course I tried calling and emailing them with no response. Does anyone know or have any information on this. Much appreciated

·
Registered
332 Posts
NYC put out an emergency media response for people who applied for a Special Carry License who were denied to apply again at no charge. Since the law is now in effect. All applications must submit Social Media Accounts and complete the 18 hour training. You should call to speak with someone who can direct you on how to obtain an application for Unrestricted Carry.
Best of Luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NYC put out an emergency media response for people who applied for a Special Carry License who were denied to apply again at no charge. Since the law is now in effect. All applications must submit Social Media Accounts and complete the 18 hour training. You should call to speak with someone who can direct you on how to obtain an application for Unrestricted Carry.
Best of Luck!
Thanks for the response. I believe that’s for new applicants. My question is if I already have a premise license what do I need to do to remove the restrictions to be a carry. Yes been trying to call and email them with no luck

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for the response. I believe that’s for new applicants. My question is if I already have a premise license what do I need to do to remove the restrictions to be a carry. Yes been trying to call and email them with no luck
You will need to take the required 18 hour training. The NYPD might have other additional requirements for applying for Unrestricted Carry. The Premise License doesn’t exempt you from the 18 hour training course or Social Media Account.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Hicock is correct and it’s for all CCW permits in NYC. Even outside of NYC you will need to take the training to upgrade your pistol permit to a full carry permit past 9/01/22. If you don’t believe it check through the FAQ’s since it’s spelled out there very clearly. You would be considered a new CCW permit since you don’t currently have one. Even if you did upon recertifying you would need to do the training anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hicock is correct and it’s for all CCW permits in NYC. Even outside of NYC you will need to take the training to upgrade your pistol permit to a full carry permit past 9/01/22. If you don’t believe it check through the FAQ’s since it’s spelled out there very clearly. You would be considered a new CCW permit since you don’t currently have one. Even if you did upon recertifying you would need to do the training anyway.
I never said I don’t believe him all I’m asking is what’s the process of going from premise to ccw. Are you saying I would need to apply for a new ccw license even if I have a premise license already?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I never said I don’t believe him all I’m asking is what’s the process of going from premise to ccw. Are you saying I would need to apply for a new ccw license even if I have a premise license already?
You need to call the NYPD at 1PP pistol license section and speak to an officer who will guide you on a path to obtaining a Full Carry.
The Premise License you currently have will not expedite or exempt you from the current law.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need to call the NYPD at 1PP pistol license section and speak to an officer who will guide you on a path to obtaining a Full Carry.
The Premise License you currently have will not expedite or exempt you from the current law.
Thanks. Yup been trying to get in touch with 1pp by phone and email with no luck

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
You will likely never get in touch with some one at 1PP. I’m not from NYC but many have said it takes months to get in touch with some one at 1PP and they don’t ever get an answer. I have heard they don’t answer the phone and they don’t want to provide you an answer to your question. MY PPO has answered every time I have called and has emailed me back within 24-hours every time.
You’re problem is the new law was passed and went into effect on 09/01/2022 making the training requirement mandatory for anyone wishing to obtain a concealed carry pistol permit in NYS and NYC. You will not get one without taking the new 16 hour classroom class and 2 hour live fire training course. I don’t know if the course has even been developed yet or is offered in your area. There was one place in Rochester that was ready to offer it but waiting on the state to get approval of it met their standards.
I’m not 100% sure on what the “upgrade” process is in NYC. The problem is you will not get many if anyone that has successfully done this because in the past you needed to show a “need” to get a concealed weapons permit. I’m on a few of these forums and there are so few people that have concealed weapons permits in NYC that I have not come across this information anywhere.
All I can say is sincerely good luck and I hope you’re successful and it doesn’t cost you a fortune. The new corse is reported to be $500+.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts