Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm a 20 year old college student (NYU Polytech) living in Manhattan.
I plan on getting a gun license when I turn 21 later this year, so I figured I should educate.
Stalked/lurked these forums in the past but never registered since any question I might have wouldn't really apply for a while.
But now I'm just 6 months from turning 21 so I'd like to prepare myself some more.

Not sure where my original interest in firearms originated from but I was always curious as to how they work and all the different types.
Bought and still own a few airsoft replicas.

Right now I'm looking at either a Remington 700 or 870.
Personal preference leans towards the 700 since I always liked the intricacies of a bolt action rifle more than anything else.
Even with my airsoft replica of a 700, I felt more "connected" to the gun since I was pulling the bolt back and loading each shot. haha.
Looking at the 870 mainly because a shotgun is more practical if I ever need to use it for HD. Doubtful that I'll ever need to use it but I dont really plan on buying multiple guns, so getting the gun with more uses makes a bit more sense.

Oh yea... I also dont own a car. Would have to use mass transit, not sure if its a problem to transport a locked and disassembled firearm with ammo locked separately. Can someone shed some light on this?
Otherwise I'd be relying on a buddy to give me a ride or just calling a cab.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
wow cant help you with any of the legal stuff but welcome to the forums buddy, can you mail me a slice of pizza and a bagel?

as far as 700 goes its a great long range rifle (but thats it)

with a 870 and 2 barrels you can shoot snakes 5 feet away or deer at 120 yards (slugs)

also the 700 will never help in home defense. well it will help but discharging a high power rifle inside might be a bit bad for your hearing and you neigbors lives

id do the 870 with 28inch smooth bore and one good slug chuck-er barrel
if you really want to do the rifle thing, get yourself a cheapo mosin for 100 bucks and see if you like the rifle platform

mosins rock as far as cheap rifles with cheap as hell ammo available

++++++++hey guys do you know why new york city pizza and bagels are the best in the world?++++++++++

the water in nyc water supply is some of the best in world in purity which translate well into the dough used (and boiling of bagels)

in places that many new york transplants move they actually bring in new york water (arizona, florida) for that purpose at some establishments

oh and please dont mention the a word in your posts anymore.... i know they are nice replicas sometimes but they can cost more than real ones when they do, and they breed unsafe handling habbits!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha I dont know how well pizza and bagels will survive thru the mail. Didnt know the little fact about why theyre so good though.

Yea my main concern with the 700 is the safety of neighbors. I read about hand loading rounds with less propellant, of course I wouldn't do this myself (not so soon anyway) but are there specific low power rounds I could buy for HD (to avoid penetrating brick and other walls)?

My main reason for buying a gun isn't HD, its more just a hobby. And from what I've read so far (googling and reading random forums) having a bolt action is worse than a shotgun but still better than nothing. And a person's skill matters more than the tool. So with proper training I could learn to reload faster and engage in shorter distances. Maybe?

I plan on heading to a shooting range with some friends to try different guns before I make an purchase, that should help.

Oh and im looking more specifically at the Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 for the shorter barrel.

And sorry, I wont mention the a word again haha. I couldn't help myself though, was 13 when I first got em, had no other option :p
You are right though, they're hella expensive =.=

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Welcome!! If I may suggest someone new to shooting that you maybe start out with a 22 LR frist! You could also look in to shooting in an Appleseed shoot there is one every month at a range there in Manhatten great instruction on shooting/safty plus some good American History (Check out Project Appleseed on-line for more info) Good Luck and again Welcome!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seriously considered getting a "starter" gun to learn with, but I am opposed to owning more than one or two guns in total.
I'd much rather pick a gun that I will stay with, and will last me for many years to come. I also like having items with sentimental value, so it'd be great to still be using my first gun, years from now.

Thanks for the tip on Appleseed, I looked it up and it seems interesting. The range they use in Manhattan was actually the one I wanted to go to for instruction anyway. Although, it seems like I'd need an accompanying adult until I'm actually 21. So I'll have to wait lol.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
After you start shooting I think you will forget that 1-2 GUN thing and as far as sentimental I still have the Marlin 989 m2 my Dad gave me when I was 16 and it's still a squirrel slayer!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha judging by my other little hobbies (photography, watches, etc) I can see that happening, but I'll try really hard to resist! >.<

Heres another question... If I bump my budget up a bit, I think I might get an Armalite AR-10.
Under NYS law thats legal as long as I have a 10 round or less mag, and a fixed butt stock, right?
Does NYC add any more laws on top of this?

·
Registered
158 Posts
PandaSPUR,

Go to the NYPD website and look at the rifle/shotgun application packet. Inside you'll find a list of firearms which are not allowed in NYC. Including any AR variant, any AK variant, M1, M14, any semi auto with a pistol grip, any longarm with a mag cap of more than 5 rounds, and on and on. Also, I would not plan on shooting .308 at Westside Pistol Range, and definitely don't plan on transporting it, or any firearm, on the train.

Sorry to be the bearer of bed news, but you must read the admin code and the application packet for yourself. Do not count on advice from here, myself included, to help you wade through the mountain of BS piled on firearm owners. A firearms charge, even from an "innocent" mistake will mess you up for a long, long, time. Ignorance of the law is most definitely not a defense, and Bloomberg and his minions will come after you hard.

Ryan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
PandaSPUR,

Go to the NYPD website and look at the rifle/shotgun application packet. Inside you'll find a list of firearms which are not allowed in NYC. Including any AR variant, any AK variant, M1, M14, any semi auto with a pistol grip, any longarm with a mag cap of more than 5 rounds, and on and on. Also, I would not plan on shooting .308 at Westside Pistol Range, and definitely don't plan on transporting it, or any firearm, on the train.

Sorry to be the bearer of bed news, but you must read the admin code and the application packet for yourself. Do not count on advice from here, myself included, to help you wade through the mountain of BS piled on firearm owners. A firearms charge, even from an "innocent" mistake will mess you up for a long, long, time. Ignorance of the law is most definitely not a defense, and Bloomberg and his minions will come after you hard.

Ryan
No need to be sorry, and thank you for the information.
I figured the Westside Range wouldnt allow a .308, was going to rely on my friend to drive me out to NJ or upstate if I did end up with something of that caliber.

And damn, I thought there was some sort of straight out ban on these guns, but I couldnt find it via google or the nyc.gov website.
Thanks again for that information.

Definitely a downer ):
Makes me wonder though.. what if I get a H&K SL8-6 lol.
I'll have to take a close read of that packet myself.

EDIT: Took a read over the regulations outlined in the packet.
Seems to be the same as the NYS regulations, except now its if your gun has any ONE of the features, instead of any TWO. So technically the AR-10 is legal if someone makes a thumbhole stock/grip for it. Which seems to exist, but is rare... I'll pass.
The SL8-6 seems to be perfectly legal, but I hear a lot of complaints about the ergonomics, so for the price, it doesn't seem to be worth it as of now...

I mainly want a semi-auto so its more feasible in a HD situation. And an AR-type chassis would allow me to throw on a laser sight for close range HD encounters.
But alas, it doesnt seem to be worth the hassle and problems with the law.
So I will most likely stick with a 223 or 308 R700. (Getting less and less interested in shotguns as I research more about rifles)

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Welcome to the site. Recommend you get out of NYC as soon as you can, lol. (I'm there everyday for work.) That 1 or 2 thing will go away soon enough... I bought a safe the size of a refrigerator configured for 12 long guns thinking that would be WAY overkill and am regretting that decision lately, lol.

Anyway, stay safe and learn about the laws, esp. NYC. Great hobby buy you're not likely to find very many friendly's in NYC...

Oh, and be sure to try out Grimaldis Grimaldi's Pizzeria if you haven't been there yet. Worked in Brooklyn for 7 years and it kept me going, lol. Yeah, Pizza (and Bagels) are something NYC got right...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Welcome to the site. Recommend you get out of NYC as soon as you can, lol. (I'm there everyday for work.) That 1 or 2 thing will go away soon enough... I bought a safe the size of a refrigerator configured for 12 long guns thinking that would be WAY overkill and am regretting that decision lately, lol.

Anyway, stay safe and learn about the laws, esp. NYC. Great hobby buy you're not likely to find very many friendly's in NYC...

Oh, and be sure to try out Grimaldis Grimaldi's Pizzeria if you haven't been there yet. Worked in Brooklyn for 7 years and it kept me going, lol. Yeah, Pizza (and Bagels) are something NYC got right...
yeah they got em right, but still not worth living there for em..... if they allowed the same guns as nys id move there just for the white castles

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
Welcome, my sister live in Hell's Kitchen and I have family in Pelham that are gun nuts, so there are some others out there. I second the request for a slice of pizza. Or anything from Les Halles.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
yeah they got em right, but still not worth living there for em..... if they allowed the same guns as nys id move there just for the white castles
Um, yeah, white castles... Tried them once but had them twice back in the day, lol. Stick with the pizza...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.