New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name's Kevin.I'm 28 years old, and have been hunting since I reached the age that my mother would let me go sit out in the woods with my father. I believe I was about 6 or 7. I've been around firearms my whole life, and with that being said I am very much PRO-GUN. I'm a firm advocate of our 2nd amendment rights, and I long for the day that Cuomo packs his bags and hits the road because the Safe Act needs to go. The patriots of our great state, and our law abiding gun-owners and hunters don't need permission to bear arms, in fact the constitution doesn't stipulate what kind of "small arms" (for sake of being a realist) we are allowed to own and use recreationally.

Anyway, I figured I'd start off with my rant, just so you guys know you have another pro-gunner joining the ranks. So let's get into the meat and potatoes. I lived in East Fishkill, NY (Dutchess County) my entire life. That's WMU unit 3G in case you may be wondering. 28 years I spent here, and now it's time for a change so Morrisville here I come. Now there's several reasons why I'm moving to central New York. Well, I love Syracuse, I love outdoors, I was tired of the suburban life, and I have family here. My uncle and his fiance to be exact. Another reason we're moving is simply put: TAXES. The cost to live in Dutchess County is ridiculous and pretty soon we would of been having to decide between common household items and putting food on the table. We purchased our new home for just over $100,000. It's twice the size of our current home which is currently on the market for $250,000 so what does that tell you, Haha.

Another reason I decided to move up here is to be with my grandparents. They raised me since I was born, since my biological mother was out of the picture, but trust me when I tell you, I wasn't missing anything by not having her around. Being 28 years old, my grand-folks are obviously getting up their in age, and my grandmother in particular was diagnosed with Parkinson's not too long ago so I dedicated myself to being there for them and helping them anyway necessary.

But the main reason I'm up here? To hunt! Anyway, we own roughly 50 acres in Cazenovia that's posted private property, and only my uncle, grandfather and myself are allowed to hunt it, and our plot of land is surrounded by land that isn't being hunted so I plan on trying my best to gain permission to hunt the adjacent property, this way we can be sort of "sandwiched" in so to speak and have it all to ourselves for stand--hunting, deer-drives, as well as small game(grouse) and Turkey hunting in the fall & spring.

I am also an avid fisherman. I was never given the luxury to fish the Salmon River in Polaski and we're too far of a road trip away from their, so that will be a dream come true, especially if I get to take part in the fishery with my grandfather

Sorry if I am rambling on a bit, I just want you guys to get to know the kind of person I am and maybe we could do some hunting & fishing together! Hey, ya never know. . So as of right now, I will be officially moved in this coming Tuesday in Morrisville.

One thing I need to ask, and I'll ask it in a proper forum is, gun ranges, gun clubs. Where are they. I know canastota has something which would be closest to me, but like i said I'll ask in a different post. My father and myself own all sorts of firearms, shotguns, rifles, pistols, and we need somewhere to shoot. Preferably somewhere with a long distance rifle range (500-600yard), trap shooting, indoor or outdoor pistol range, archery range, etc. Membership is not a problem as from what I hear, I can sign up and I can bring my father as a guest.

Alright, done ranting! Now you know a little about me. I hope to meet some folks my age who like to hunt, hell who knows maybe we can do some filming this coming deer season. This year was gonna be the first attempt at putting videos of my hunts on youtube.

You guys can call me Kevin, or Kev. Whichever works. Hope to hear from ya'll soon. Oh and one more question: Is there any GOOD fuel around? Save-on is utter garbage, I go from getting 28--32mpg to 18.5--20mpg and my car isn't very fond of Sunoco although I can make it work. I try to run SHELL in my car whenever possible since they have the best(in my opinion) 93 octane fuel, HESS being a close second.

Oh, and if any of ya'll are members to the service called iRacing.com -- feel free to send me a PM on there. Same name. Kevin Scholefield. I'm a HUGE race buff. Whether it's NASCAR. Dirt Modifieds (Super Dirt Week here I come), Sprint cars, Late Models, Nationwide, GT racing, etc.

Nice to meet you guys.

-Kevin

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Welcome from Nassau County! And we hope you are registered to vote to help us vote out Cuomo in the upcoming November election! VOTE ROB ASTORINO IN 2014! AND PLEASE TELL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS TO DO THE SAME!

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kevin, nice intro... Thanks. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome from another Madison County neighbor! Most people here are pro-rights and pro-freedom. If you haven't gotten a pistol permit consider applying for one. The folks at the Madison County Sheriff's office are helpful and friendly.

There are a lot of mom and pop gun stores around. AJ Archery in Cazanovia is a nice place for both hunting and self defense needs. Frank's Shooting Supply in Canastota is where a lot of people bring their guns to have work done. Doug Rainbow Jr and Sr in Chittenango are good too but they don't sell handguns.

As far as ranges I only have experience with two. The Canastota Conservation Club has nice outdoor ranges for pistols, shotguns and rifle. However, there are no indoor ranges so range time is dependent on the weather. The Oneida Rifle Club has some indoor ranges. The also offer a Defense Pistol League after the New Year. They set up weekly scenarios and score how well you do with time and accuracy. You don't even have to be a member to participate. It runs for 2-3 months and is very inexpensive. It's less than $10 to sign up for the season and $2 per night of shooting. I go when I can get out work and find it fun and instructive.
Hope this helps and welcome to neighborhood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts