New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a break from shooting sports the last 7 years and I'm now starting to get back into it. All the Gun fire, explosions and loud music gave me permanent loud ringing in the ears. Do you guys have any tips for getting max hearing protection while shooting?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Ear muffs will be better than plugs. Look at the NRR rating on the packages. NRR of 17 or 19 is what I use and it's not very good. If you can get a pair with a NRR closer to 30 they're about as good as you can get in regular muffs.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I would say without being an expert to get the highest rated reduction insert hearing protection combined with ear muffs. Sorry I cant recommend anything specific.

·
Registered
280 Posts
WHHAATTTT????

Yeah, I have tinnitus in both ears, more so in my left. I have a set of Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs (Christmas present) that I use. Outdoors they're OK but indoors I double up with foam plugs.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to try the doubling up thing, thanks guys. Hey Mbopp does you tinnitus act up after shooting at the range? I may have to stay away from shooting any ARs.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Walmart has some decent electronic ear muffs that allow you to hear people when talking, but immediately cancel the loud BANG when a gun goes off. They work pretty darn good for $25-$30. I have a set of $8 ones as well from Wally World. I feel the shot from other guns, but I don't hear the huge BOOOOOOMMMMM from them. Makes them sound more like a .22.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have went the double up approach since I shared the range a few weeks ago with 5 guys from the Rochester PD practicing with .45s. They went through about 1000 rounds while I was there.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm going to try the doubling up thing, thanks guys. Hey Mbopp does you tinnitus act up after shooting at the range? I may have to stay away from shooting any ARs.
When I was more casual about wearing hearing protection my ears would ring, then as I got older they would ring longer and it never really went away. Now I'm really conscious about wearing ears even when hunting or field shooting. That's the nice thing about the electronic muffs - you can hear normal conversations but they shut down when a shot is fired.

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts