New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just got the barrel, upper receiver, and BCG together for my first AR build, and I'm looking for someone to check the headspace. Anyone know a gunsmith in the Syracuse area that has a set of 5.56 gauges?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I have a set. I will be visiting my parents near Rome this weekend. Will be arriving there on Friday sometime after 3pm and leaving for Rochester on Saturday in the afternoon. If it's not too far to drive I can meet you somewhere around there. Not sure how far Caz is from where I'll be.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a set. I will be visiting my parents near Rome this weekend. Will be arriving there on Friday sometime after 3pm and leaving for Rochester on Saturday in the afternoon. If it's not too far to drive I can meet you somewhere around there. Not sure how far Caz is from where I'll be.
Thanks for the offer, but I have a graduation I have to attend Friday night and I work on Saturdays. Rome is a good 1/2 hour or so away anyways. Maybe I'll just pick up a field gauge from Brownells like varmint suggested.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but I have a graduation I have to attend Friday night and I work on Saturdays. Rome is a good 1/2 hour or so away anyways. Maybe I'll just pick up a field gauge from Brownells like varmint suggested.
Having your own around is always good. I use a set of go/no-go gauges instead of a field gauge though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Called the guys from Gun Works of CNY in Vernon, they said they can do it for $18. I'll probably go that route as I doubt I'll need those gauges again. Hopefully i can have my new AR usable within the next week!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Just a heads up - with new equipment nowadays (even from various MFR's) there is generally no need to worry about headspacing. You'll find many OMG CHECK YOUR HEADSPACE threads and what not - but rarely if ever is there a problem with the AR platform.

I'm not saying don't do it for peace of mind, just that odds are you'll be fine if you were to not check it.

·
Banned
478 Posts
You're about to have a small explosion go off about 6 inches from your head, hey, the odds are on your side, go for it!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Called the guys from Gun Works of CNY in Vernon, they said they can do it for $18
Wow, I hope that includes shipping or coffee or some kind of prize, otherwise it works out to a rate of $72 an hour, and that's pesuming they move slow when checking.

I mean, hey, they can charge what the market will bear, but holy **** is that a lot of money for 20 seconds of 'work' using gauges which probably paid for themselves many, many years ago
(which bears to question if they are now worn, and thus inaccuate...)

EDIT:
Whomever it ends up getting done with, make sure they use the right gauge for the right chamber.
ie: 5.56 gauges in a 5.56 chamber, .223 in .223

Yes, there are certain 'exchanges' that can be done between the two sets in an emergency, but for the true accuracy the proper size/type should be used, otherwise you're just getting 'meh, close enough, no one will notice'
You know, like going by a once fired piece of brass as an indicator. If it fits likely it'll be OK, right?

·
Registered
549 Posts
+1 tmyoungjr
I have built many AR's from kit from scratch and do not own a set of head space gages and have had no problems. Put it together and let er rip. Check the first round that goes into the chamber if it goes in and you bolt seats, shoot it.

·
Banned
478 Posts
+1 tmyoungjr
I have built many AR's from kit from scratch and do not own a set of head space gages and have had no problems. Put it together and let er rip. Check the first round that goes into the chamber if it goes in and you bolt seats, shoot it.
This is the terrible idea. Cutting corners is never a good idea when you're talking firearms. Having a bolt imbed it self in your shoulder would not be a very fun experience.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Transporter, come on, there's no way he'd get the bolt embedded into his shoulder.......
The bolt would go flying off to the side, out the rip in the ejection port side of the upper. It would be the BUFFER TUBE that gets buried in his shoulder.

My kids shoot my rifles, and my reloads, so I am VERY careful, but to each their own.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I had searched and not found anyone to do it, I might have gotten impatient and shot it anyway. I know that headspace issues aren't that common with AR's, but I'd rather not find out the hard way that my gun was the exception. I still can't shoot it (or put it together) because the muzzle brake isn't welded, but at least I know it won't blow the case apart when I do finally shoot it.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I put my AR together last year and never heard of headspacing it. I did use very common parts so that probably helped.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts