New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so for the last 4 days I have been down with a nasty cold. But being self-broke (employed) I have to get moving and do *something* whether Im feeling good or not

My truck has been running like crap, the fuel pump is going and I was missing on one or two cylinders. so today I figure would be a good day to see if I could fix something.

I went to Nu-way auto on Carter St to pick-up a Cap-n-rotor and on the way over there my blinkers took a hike, so I checked the fuse in the parking lot and it was blown (hell I was at the auto parts store) so I got a flasher can while I was there but they were out of 20 amp mini-fuses, so I went over to Pep-boys on East Ridge and Hudson to find some fuses.....this is where things get interesting

As I was pulling into the parking lot there was a few black ladies walking across the entrance. I waited patiently for them to clear the driveway and pulled in as soon as they were out of the way. There was a black guy standing at the corner of the building and there were other people standing around working on there cars in the parking lot. I pulled in and backed into a parking spot. As Im getting out of my truck I start walking towards the entrance the black guy says "hey a-hole, why yo do dat" I looked at him a little bewildered and said "do what", he say "Yo cracker a$$ nearly hit dem women" I looked at him, looked back at the ladies (who were not paying any attention and had no clue I was even there) looked back at the clown and and said "no i didn't and you know it, but if you think I did come to close I humbly apologize" The black guy says "yo dam right yo apologize, I'll kill yo honky, muthr-f****** cracker a$$" I instantly recognized someone that wanted to start some crap and to be honest, it scared the crap out of me. I stared at him for a second or two, smiled and said "whatever dude" and went in the store.

I was very tempted to call the police, mainly because I was the only white guy around and I was armed and I was shaking like a leaf in a hurricane, But I didn't call. Once I was in the store I hung out by the door and watched my truck for a couple of minutes, but the goof walked around the corner, I couldn't see him anymore. So i went and got my fuses, checked out and hung out by the door before going out side to make sure the goof left.

I walked directly out into the middle of the parking lot so that if the guy was going to try anything he would have to cover at least 30 yards, so I would have ample time to retreat. I didn't see him, so I walked around my truck and looked under my truck to make sure he didn't do anything to it. I got in and bolted for home.

The lesson here is: some people maybe just looking for a reason to attack a white person, stay on your toes, Keep a good awareness of your surroundings. stay safe, good luck

p.s., the truck is running much better, 'cept for the fuel pump, that still an issue :D

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Gotta love that part of the city.

The good thing is that if you did call the RPD and say some guy just threaten your life in the parking lot you would have had a lot of cars there very quickly.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Smart move walking to the center of the parking lot and your reasoning behind it. I wouldnt have thought of that. Gonna tuck that little tidbit in my toolbox.

I know all about the shaking like a leaf. Every firefight or potential firefight in Afgahn we all would have to recover a bit. The book Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield has a great page or two about this condition. If you're interested, I'll find it and type it out for you. PM me.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
The lesson here is: some people maybe just looking for a reason to attack a white person, stay on your toes, Keep a good awareness of your surroundings. stay safe, good luck
attack, or just threaten and harass?

this kind of crap happens all the time too, it makes me sick.
and I can completely agree that it can get your hands shakin' pretty good, can't it!?

way to keep your awareness level up, and glad nothing more came of it..

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Were you carrying?

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I DID NOT call the cops is I didn't want an all out confrontation between citizens and 10 police officers.

My thought was to check out the door, go out the door and scan 360° and see if the guy is still around, If he was still there I was going to go right back in the store and call the cops.

If I could not locate the guy and I did call the cops, it would be me and 10 cops standing around a parking lot and me looking like a idiot.

option three is what I went for, scan the area, check behind, around and under close by vehicles from a distance, be ready to move fast

My point here isn't how good my situational awareness or tactics are. My point is, I BELIEVE the Zimmerman/Martin case has embolden certain elements of America society to punish other members of society. These types of people are going to try and goad law abiding citizens into making a mistake.

Just be aware and have an escape plan.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Some other races just still hate others, just as whites hate others as well.

I'm not saying he was right, it just sucks.

Yesterday I had to go to the Rochester Works office for unemployment reasons, and in a class of 20, there were 2 black ladies, a black guy, a guy from Puerto Rico and the rest were white. After a short presentation, about 6 staff came in to the room and started doing 1 on 1's. Well, I was the last to be called along with 2 of the black ladies, and when it was just us left, one of the ladies stood up and started screamin about how this was BS, why haven't any black people been seen yet, this is just like the white man trying to keep us down, etc... The other lady started slamming her paperwork on the desk, having a pissy party herself, and it's just like -- No one was being called up by race -- The staff simply took a few papers off the stack and started calling names. Coincidentally the blacks were the minority in this class, so almost by default, the chances of any one of them being called was at a much lower percentage, and for the record, I was dead last.

Once called, the first woman who started screaming racial bias was asked what skills she had, and her reply was "I ain't got no skills". The next question was, well, in order to find you work, we need you to do something, so you should start by signing up for a training course so you can learn a skill. What would you like to do? , her reply "get dat money. I ain't doin sh1t, I juss needa get dat check..."

Point here is, you just can't please everyone, and I think you were right in diffusing the situation as much as possible. For me, as soon as the two ladies started getting riled up, I instantly took a head count, checked exits and started figuring out an "out". And I've started to think this way because of stories I read on here about how situations quickly escalate, and what to do to get out of them, so thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
it appears so...

"...mainly because I was the only white guy around and I was armed..."
Thanks, I (obviously) missed those three words. Somehow read it as "only white guy around and shaking like a leaf". :)

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I found the problem...
I live in the area ( Ya it sux, this use to be a very nice, old Polish, Ukrainian neighborhood)

we have a Wal-mart super store right around the corner from us. WE DON'T GO THERE, it's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
My response to him would have been something along the lines of "Shut the **** up." Most of the time tough guys like that talk a big game to try and get themselves noticed, maybe he was hoping the women would notice and all of a sudden ask him to come back to their place for a threesome, people like him are not the ones to be scared of 99% of the time, I bet if you said that to him he might not have even known what to say because he wasn't expecting that response. If he watched you enter the store and then loitered within 20 feet of your truck without saying a word then I'd be nervous, the loud ones usually aren't much to deal with. I'm willing to bet right after you went in the store he forgot what even happened and caught up to the ladies to try and say "Hey ladies I just went and tat that cracka ass foo' a lesson he almoss' hit u wit dem big white cracka truck." To which they probably laughed at him and gave him a quarter to ride the firetruck outside of the store., like the retard he was. Anyway, good thing nothing came from it, people who act like him very much annoy me, I really doubt it had much to do with race this time around, sounds like he was trying to act impressive for the "ladies" u "almost hit" to be completely honest I've been called a "cracka" more times by a caucasian trying to act tough then of any other race, so don't always assume that word means they are picking on ur race, it just is the "go to" word for tough guys, that and another racist word which we wont mention. Not saying u assumed anything by his words just saying try not to, it doesnt always mean he is going for a racial attack.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
My response to him would have been something along the lines of "Shut the **** up."
Would you like to be cremated or buried?

Don't take it personal, but I don't think that most people who live in your area have a clue what the people in the bad areas here are capable of unless you have lived somewhere else.

I lived in a small town (Rome) and moved here and my outlook on things like you posted changed a lot.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Rome is a "city" (sorry, had to say it)

- Rob (living in Westmoreland w/ a Rome mailing address...and doesn't even like to go to Lowe's or Walmart in Rome...sticks to New Hartford)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Would you like to be cremated or buried?

Don't take it personal, but I don't think that most people who live in your area have a clue what the people in the bad areas here are capable of unless you have lived somewhere else.

I lived in a small town (Rome) and moved here and my outlook on things like you posted changed a lot.
Not that I'm some psycho or something but the fact that he was armed would have given me some comfort, and I understand that I wasn't there, I don't know what part of town he was in and I do know when things can turn ugly fast, even in small towns like Oneonta I know when things are getting weird and to just shut up and walk away, but from the sound it sounded like there were 2 ladies in their own world and some punk with a speech impediment trying to be Mr. Toughguy, in a large empty parking lot, that situation doesn't bother me too much, and while I understand he may have been one of the few white guys around, don't assume it means you are the only decent person there, I have seen plenty of black guys punch a "brotha" in the face for going after a white man unprovoked. I do know how bad some places can be, but broad daylight in the middle of a parking lot with no back up isn't usually when these thugs try their ****. I just gave my opinion based on how I pictured the situation in my mind from the post, I'm am NOT calling the OP a wuss or anything of the sort, I have been in situations with people you just KNOW you do not want to **** with, for the safety of yourself and everyone around you, you get that weird feeling, he must have got that.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If you want to get some good lessons in what to do and say, just watch Hardcore Pawn..

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Rome is a "city" (sorry, had to say it)
Still a small town compared to Rochester and I realize Rochester isn't a big city like other metro areas. I just mean that when you read the new in Rome, and I still do every day online, you don't see people getting shot and stuff all the time. Here it's a daily occurrence in the news. Mostly isolated to the "bad" areas but it still goes on.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts