New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who took the IOC training programs the image below should a lot of conversation.
There is an entire training day in this image alone.

What's right?
What's wrong?

The basic story is:
Self inflicted ND. .45 Ball ammo.
Severed major vessels in Left leg and entered right leg.
The real tourniquet shown and oxygen were placed by EMS, NOT by others on range.

Discuss?

316038_105781292859998_102878609816933_29416_7622318_n.jpg

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
So he didn't have that high strong tourniquet from get go? It looks like duck tape on top of the wound? That is not doing much, is it?.
Also why is he sitting and not lying down to reduce blood pressure in the legs?
I am guessing...

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
kinda hard to say not knowing where the entry and exit wounds are exactly....but i would start with "I like it...it looks like a good arterial bleed..."

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I'll give it a go.

Right things:
I see a belt so they applied their own tourniquet before EMTs arrived.
Looks like they dressed the wounds and applied pressure (although tape probably wasn't the best solution, pressure with their hands probably was, direct pressure to the wound and the artery with the heel of their hands)
Looks like they might have cut away the loose clothing. Could also be bad, see below.

Wrong things:
He is sitting up instead of laying down with his legs elevated above his heart.
The belt used for a tourniquet looks like it's way down by the knee. Should be up where the femoral artery is.
In cutting away loose clothing they probably removed fabric stuck to the wound.

Thats all I got.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Not sure how they can help, but...

they are putting a call out to find your answer.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So he didn't have that high strong tourniquet from get go? It looks like duck tape on top of the wound? That is not doing much, is it?.
Also why is he sitting and not lying down to reduce blood pressure in the legs?
I am guessing...
Excellent observations.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll give it a go.

Right things:
I see a belt so they applied their own tourniquet before EMTs arrived.
Looks like they dressed the wounds and applied pressure (although tape probably wasn't the best solution, pressure with their hands probably was, direct pressure to the wound and the artery with the heel of their hands)
Looks like they might have cut away the loose clothing. Could also be bad, see below.

Wrong things:
He is sitting up instead of laying down with his legs elevated above his heart.
The belt used for a tourniquet looks like it's way down by the knee. Should be up where the femoral artery is.
In cutting away loose clothing they probably removed fabric stuck to the wound.

Thats all I got.
Good!

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
All I know is he should be laying down with the legs elevated. Other than that I have no idea (but I would like to learn).How did this happen? Is he a lefty who had a ND on the draw?

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Next time I'll allow more time to pass between lunch and opening a thread like this one...LOL.

I think Jeff and meketrefe just about covered it. Trying to figure out how he managed to shoot himself through both legs. If the guy in the photo survived, he can consider himself lucky.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next time I'll allow more time to pass between lunch and opening a thread like this one...LOL.

I think Jeff and meketrefe just about covered it. Trying to figure out how he managed to shoot himself through both legs. If the guy in the photo survived, he can consider himself lucky.
Ha sorry I guess I should have put a warning up.
And as far as his being L or R handed i do not know but I'm thinking south paw.
I'll let this sit for a few more and then add more info and some observations.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Nah no worries, you do have "heads up" in the title already. ;)

Before I saw this photo, I initially thought this thread was related to this article covering an incident that occurred during a pistol safety training class, where a guy managed to shoot himself through the hand (as well as his wife's leg) during the class.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Ha sorry I guess I should have put a warning up.
And as far as his being L or R handed i do not know but I'm thinking south paw.
I'll let this sit for a few more and then add more info and some observations.
Come on!!!... the guy is bleeding to death if he is not dead already!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
1. I agree, the person should be laying on the ground until transported to the hospital. 2. Also, tourniquets are a great way to lose a limb unless it is a life of death situation. 3. All bleeding eventually stops ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts