New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I'll be heading to Calverton for the first time this week, either Monday or Thursday morning. I know to bring hearing protection, a staple gun & targets, but I was wondering if there was anything you'd recommend me bringing, as well. Also, can I fire regular fmj ammo or do I have to use soft point only as I've heard you must do at Brookhaven (is this correct, BTW?)? Can I bring as many firearms as I want? And what's this that I hear you can drive right up to the shooting area (which would be excellent)? I've seen pics & videos (and read forum post) where people do this ****; that's just pretty ****ing cool if you can do that. Do you just drive up and ask the people running the place, 'hey there, can I just drive all the way up to the bench'?

I've looked these questions up online and have found answers for them all, but all of those post are anywhere from two to six years old or older, so I'm asking this, now, to see if anything has changed that I should know before spending God knows how much time driving out to exit 71 on the LIE from where I live on exit 55 (not a short trip, as you can imagine).

Any info you guys can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You should be ok on a weekday, Monday would prob be less crowded. You can back right up to the line if there's room. Someone will come to you to collect the fee. A large piece of cardboard to make your own backer is nice to have just in case it's needed.

If you are inexperienced, I would recommend Brookhaven. It's much more controlled, although obviously if there accidents at Calverton it would be closed. FMJ is no prob there, not sure who told you otherwise.

One way or the other be sure to ask if you have questions, every time I've seen someone yelled at or asked to leave they were doing something stupid when they should have asked first. The RO's at both places can be a bit crusty, but better to ask first. Never hurts to add a "sir" either.

Have fun,

Ryan

P.S. I make the drive every so often from Queens, exit 55 ain't that bad!

·
Registered
183 Posts
bring some thing to drink and eat facilites are rough no drinking water on site and hit or miss if hot dogtruck is open also bring your own toilet paper i love the place you'll have fun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts