New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my pistol permit application from Chemung County. I started the process and realized i have no idea who to use for references. I only really know my family. And it explicitly says to not use family. The question is....How distant is too distant for family...cousins? Step-Brothers? My wife's sister? Can i use these?

I do have 2 old friends that would do it for me. The problem is...they both have felonys of burglary. But i dont want to use them in case they check the history of my references? They are known in this county and i dont think that would be a good idea. But again i dont know the process of the pistol permit and how in depth they go into the refs.

I have friends of the family, but they are all on my dads side. And my dad is complete anti-gun. Im sure if i would use them, they would lie just to stop another permit from getting out.

So i have been going in circles trying to find refs that would do this for me. Are there any ideas on this?

·
Registered
418 Posts
They will and do check your references backgrounds, don't use any one convicted of a felony. Boss, former boss, coworkers, church friends.... Last resort, stay out of trouble and get a membership at local gun club and make some new friends and wait a few years to apply.... Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have come up with references. It is going to be a PITA getting their signatures. I have to mail out my application to them to get their signatures, (for each reference too). They are mostly pasters and church folks. I have to mail it to each one and get it back and mail it to the next one. Wow.

Does it matter that they live in different states?

·
Registered
157 Posts
You'll have to double-check the requirements for the county you are in (it should say in the instructions). I am in Dutchess County, and our references have to have known us for 6 months and must live in Dutchess County as well. No other county much less out-of-state references are acceptable for us. So check your county requirements out.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
See Bogey's post above. Deciding on and then getting complete paperwork from references is a hurdle. You really have to stay on top of it. Once you have figured out who will serve as references, I would suggest setting up times to hand deliver the documents to each one. Otherwise you are at their mercy for quick follow-up.
I have come up with references. It is going to be a PITA getting their signatures. I have to mail out my application to them to get their signatures, (for each reference too). They are mostly pasters and church folks. I have to mail it to each one and get it back and mail it to the next one. Wow.

·
Registered
91 Posts

In Albany they explicitly instruct us that references must live within the Capital District. Check the rules for your county to find out if there are residence restrictions for your references.

Also, you are allowed to use co-workers if you need to since you spend 8 hours/day with them and they are likely to know how you respond to stressful situations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Chenango where my permit is out of had to all be residents of county. Luckily I wasn't married to my now wife then and I was able to use 2 of her family members and then used a neighbor and coworker.

Now I live in Broome and downloaded the paperwork for my wife to get her permit and Broome does allow you to use out of county residents but you have to have a total of 7 or 8 instead of the original 4.

Good luck,

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Chenango where my permit is out of had to all be residents of county. Luckily I wasn't married to my now wife then and I was able to use 2 of her family members and then used a neighbor and coworker.

Now I live in Broome and downloaded the paperwork for my wife to get her permit and Broome does allow you to use out of county residents but you have to have a total of 7 or 8 instead of the original 4.

Good luck,
A couple of clarifications:

Broome does not allow you to use out-of-county residents, they require you to provide out-of-county residents - in addition to Broome county residents - if you have not lived in Broome county for three or more years.

From the application instructions:

2) You must provide four (4) character references who must be Broome County residents and who have known you for at least three (3) years. References cannot be relatives. Questions regarding references should be directed to Sheriff's Pistol Permit Office 778-2113.

3) If you have lived in Broome County for less than three (3) years, you must also submit three (3) additional notarized character references from persons who live in the state or county where you previously lived and who have known you for a least three (3) years
Disappointingly, this doesn't offer any relief for the person who moved to the county six months ago and knew no one when he/she moved in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.